Using AxeFX III along with other audio interfaces

Shahar

Experienced
Hey Everyone,

I’m super excited about ordering the AxeFX III a couple days ago, I’m still waiting for it to arrive (checking UPS every 5 minutes).

I have an existing Focusrite Clarett 2-Pre interface that I love, and now that the Axe FX is en route, I’m trying to figure out how to integrate it with my DAW.
It seems like I have two options:
1. Ditch the Clarett and just use the AxeFX III as my primary interface. The downside of this approach is that it will require me to swap the interface whenever I take the Axe on the road.
2. Somehow connect both interfaces and thereby add additional inputs to the DAW. I would prefer this approach.

Does anyone have experience using the second option? My biggest concern is routing the audio from the Axe USB outs to the Clarett USB out, is that possible?

Thanks in advance,
Shahar

Hey Everyone,

I’m super excited about ordering the AxeFX III a couple days ago, I’m still waiting for it to arrive (checking UPS every 5 minutes).

I have an existing Focusrite Clarett 2-Pre interface that I love, and now that the Axe FX is en route, I’m trying to figure out how to integrate it with my DAW.
It seems like I have two options:
1. Ditch the Clarett and just use the AxeFX III as my primary interface. The downside of this approach is that it will require me to swap the interface whenever I take the Axe on the road.
2. Somehow connect both interfaces and thereby add additional inputs to the DAW. I would prefer this approach.

Does anyone have experience using the second option? My biggest concern is routing the audio from the Axe USB outs to the Clarett USB out, is that possible?

Thanks in advance,
Shahar
Check this link out and see if that helps;
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

That’s awesome. I’m interested in option 4, but the question remains, do I have to hook up the analog out to my interface? Can it all be done in USB land?
You can do it all with usb, but the instructions for #4 show an analog connection to your interface just for the purpose of low latency direct monitoring. Everything you record will be digital, but it's best to use the analog connection for monitoring as shown in the instructions.

If you use MacOS you can try aggregate devices. If you use Windows, then it is better to pick one as your main audio interface and then connect the other via either SPDIF or analog in/outs or even both.

SPDIF saves you some analog to digital conversions but will be fixed to 48 KHz sample rate used by the Axe-Fx 3. Analog outs let you run your Focusrite at any sample rate and still work with the Axe-Fx 3. The practical sound difference is not going to really matter for short cable runs and it's easy to test and compare for yourself.

SPDIF saves you some analog to digital conversions but will be fixed to 48 KHz sample rate used by the Axe-Fx 3. Analog outs let you run your Focusrite at any sample rate and still work with the Axe-Fx 3.
fyi, some DAWs, for example Logic, will convert the 48 to your project sample rate on the fly, so the fixed 48k isn't necessarily a problem.

How are you guys liking the quality of the audio you get using something other then the Axe FX for recording?

Would love to get an audio interface simply so it makes it easier popping the Axe FX out for gigs, but the one time I tried something I felt the audio quality I got was not on par with what I got with the Axe FX. Muddy in comparison. Not so muddy I thought it was defective, but muddy enough that the sound quality drop just was not acceptable. I think I used a low end Native instruments device. Hard to remember for sure as I returned it that day.

Would like to get something else (the motu 4x4 stuff looks interesting) but am afraid I will plug it in and immediately here a huge difference in audio quality and just send it back.

I'm have a MOTU 828es that I like, using for a couple of years now. Good sound-quality for me, easy to use, and lots of routing options. Always get good tech support from MOTU when I need it.

I'm running Windows 10, so can't run more than one USB audio interface at the same time; not without using a workaround.

I connect my Axe-FX using SPDIF and analog. The digital connection is the default for recording. The analog input is used for revamping. The 828es is set to 48k.

Anecdote: Occasionally, the 828es powers up to 44.1k, don't know why. When this happens, I'll know right away because the tuner in the Axe-FX will show that the guitar is tuned sharp by between a half and full step. The first time that happened was when I was plugging in a new guitar for the first time. I just thought they shipped the guitar tuned too high, so re-tuned. ;-]

Last edited:
Did you connect the Axe-Fx to the interface via digital or analog?
It was the overall audio that I felt was muddy, not necessarily just the guitar.

When I plugged it in as my interface I use it as the sound card essentially as well, and even listening to like music on a youtube video, it was obvious the audio quality was not what I was getting with the Axe FX. Again it was a pretty low end native instruments device likely under 200$ at that time, so perhaps my expectations were not realistic. The audio wasn't so bad it was defective, but after having the clarity you get using the Axe FX as your main sound device, it was audible enough that I knew I was not going to be happy with it.

It was the overall audio that I felt was muddy, not necessarily just the guitar.

When I plugged it in as my interface I use it as the sound card essentially as well, and even listening to like music on a youtube video, it was obvious the audio quality was not what I was getting with the Axe FX.
How long ago was this? You'd be hard-pressed to hear any obvious or significant differences between high-end and budget interfaces today, in my opinion.

I use a rack mounted Roland OctaCapture (8In/8Out) to Mac/Logic via aggregate usb with Roland input connected to Axefx3 output via spdif. Works great with lots of IO options and sounds great w no added coloration.

Last edited:
Presonus Quantum with Axe III connected via SPDIF, works VERY well.

I sold my Axe III the other week, but I am planning on getting an FM9 in the summer when g66 finally have stock.

How are you guys liking the quality of the audio you get using something other then the Axe FX for recording?

For several reasons I didn’t want to use the AX3 as my interface (I make commercial presets for other modelers, the variable latency issue, didn’t want to have to unplug my monitors all the time when traveling, didn’t want to have to run the AX3 to get sound from my monitors, need mic pres, etc).

So I went on the hunt for an interface with SPDIF I/O, a software mixer, DSP/FGPA processing (for running compression/EQ on vocals without having to monitor thru DAW), excellent sound quality, good headphone amp, and not an outrageous price or way too much I/O.

I landed on the Antelope Zen Go Synergy Core. My other option was the Scarlett 8i6 which I would have chosen if I weren’t also tracking mics and didn’t need the DSP/FGPA processing. Not crazy about the Scarlett mic pres but I’d be using SPDIF so the pres would be unused for tracking with the AX3.

Highly recommend this type of setup, both the Scarlett and Antelope have good drivers and it’s a much more effective setup for me without dealing with the AX3’s variable driver latency issues every time I want to record. The recorded and monitored sound is identical to tracking with USB because it’s staying digital through SPDIF.

Last edited:
How long ago was this? You'd be hard-pressed to hear any obvious or significant differences between high-end and budget interfaces today, in my opinion.
4, 5 years ago? And actually now that I think about it, it would have been the Axe II I was using as my interface.

For several reasons I didn’t want to use the AX3 as my interface (I make commercial presets for other modelers, the variable latency issue, didn’t want to have to unplug my monitors all the time when traveling, didn’t want to have to run the AX3 to get sound from my monitors, need mic pres, etc).

So I went on the hunt for an interface with SPDIF I/O, a software mixer, DSP/FGPA processing (for running compression/EQ on vocals without having to monitor thru DAW), excellent sound quality, good headphone amp, and not an outrageous price or way too much I/O.

I landed on the Antelope Zen Go Synergy Core. My other option was the Scarlett 8i6 which I would have chosen if I weren’t also tracking mics and didn’t need the DSP/FGPA processing. Not crazy about the Scarlett mic pres but I’d be using SPDIF so the pres would be unused for tracking with the AX3.

Highly recommend this type of setup, both the Scarlett and Antelope have good drivers and it’s a much more effective setup for me without dealing with the AX3’s variable driver latency issues every time I want to record. The recorded and monitored sound is identical to tracking with USB because it’s staying digital through SPDIF.
Thanks for the recommendations,

You guys are convincing me. I think I am going to pull the trigger on a new interface

I don't use the Axe as an interface. Good interfaces provide a simple monitoring mixer/matrix app that allow you to record inputs and do zero latency (hardware) monitoring. I sort of get that you can make this happen with the Axe3, but routing seems really obtuse. I'd love to be corrected.

I've also found that subtle coloration from my XLR pre's on my interface is pleasing to me vs AES/SPdif. When I say subtle, I mean MINISCULE.
I haven't found the extra DA/AD conversion (or latency) to be a concern. And I hate latency.

The FocusRite stuff is generally good no? I haven't heard a nasty input on an interface since my M-Audio Delta.

Last edited:
Just do what I do, I set the AXE 3 in Prefferences/Audio to Input and My Interface to Output, then when Im done with guitar I switch it to Interface Input and output

Back
Top Bottom