USB disconnecting

Unfortunately, it was just a coincidence i suppose. The issue occurred again, several times.

I was powering my laptop, TV and cleaning robot from the same plug, in addition to my PC, screen, reference monitors and the Axe.

Now I isolated them. PC, screen, monitors and Axe are the only ones that are powered from another plug.

I'll inform again about the situation.

'm also experiencing this issue frequently, approximately 10 times a day
I too have had this issue but running Imac with the AXe FX III.. I have posted in other similar threads.
I may (fingers, legs and arms crossed) have found out my problem. You should check it too.
I tried everything from new cables, back to back with AXE FX IIXL using the IMac and a Windows Laptop. (the XL has no issues what so ever) The common denominator every time was the III - as in the Unit.. I then accidentally moved the cables running into the back of the III and voila the audio dropout happens (recycling the power on the III is the ONLY way to get it back)
So I figured it is the Unit, it must have a different USB socket (as in hardware) than the XL - maybe inferior quality? - different manufactures/batches have different tolerances etc etc (I dont want a Sh!t storm)
Try it!

I too have had this issue but running Imac with the AXe FX III.. I have posted in other similar threads.
I may (fingers, legs and arms crossed) have found out my problem. You should check it too.
I tried everything from new cables, back to back with AXE FX IIXL using the IMac and a Windows Laptop. (the XL has no issues what so ever) The common denominator every time was the III - as in the Unit.. I then accidentally moved the cables running into the back of the III and voila the audio dropout happens (recycling the power on the III is the ONLY way to get it back)
So I figured it is the Unit, it must have a different USB socket (as in hardware) than the XL - maybe inferior quality? - different manufactures/batches have different tolerances etc etc (I dont want a Sh!t storm)
Try it!

I also had issues with my Axe2 Mark II, but the problem was only in the communication with Axe-Edit, so I cannot be sure.

After the plug change, it is working without problem for a few hours.

I hope that this time it is not a coincidence, and will inform you again. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Try it!

By the way, I tried what you suggested, moved all the cables, especcially the USB cable, but the dropout did not happen.

I also experienced the dropout once again :(

Today I finally got my USB working with my windows 10 laptop and the fx3, I can now play mp3's and YouTube via my fx3, also record direct to my DAW, Still no joy with my Macbook Pro 2019 though, connects for a few minutes with jittery sound output and then freezes the music player or YouTube, no input signal to my DAW either..
Halfway there I suppose...
I have tried several different cables and all the ports on the MacBook but no luck..

Last edited:
Well all is good with the USB today, my Mac is finally working like it should...Fingers crossed it stays that way..
What did I do... reapplied the Axe-Fx III USB Firmware Version 1.08 Update, April 12, 2019 using my Windows 10 Laptop..

Well back to the drawing board, intermittent audio again on the Mac, sounds like someone switching off and on the audio.
Fracbot, Aex Edit all function as normal..

I had only used my Axe FXIII for live playing and had not really used it as a USB audio interface until this lockdown started. I have recently experienced problems with frequent audio cut-outs and sudden increase in latency while using Logic Pro X as well as Cubase 10.5. This is clearly not a new issue, having read through 5 pages of posts on the topic, so we are not imagining this. I have noted various fixes, including running the Axe FX off a USP and its own USB hub, but to be honest I expect a £2000 piece of audio kit to work properly. Has anyone had any official response from Fractal?

I have had my AxeFXIII for a few days now... using it USB tonite, working on tracks getting to know the thing and like you say it's as if someone is switching the light switch to the unit on and off. Not pleased at all.

Changed some of my settings and I'll give it another crack tomorrow nite. Even though I had it in high performance mode it still had USB power shutoff enabled, so hopefully it will be better.

After the plug isolation, I'm having one or zero dropouts per day. It's fine like this, for me at least. I think some kind of interference is the culprit.

Well I'm back to USB working perfectly today on my Mac
I followed the instructions on the WIKI to the letter with regards to cable length, start up and connection procedures.
Using a brand new USB B to USB C cable too.
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=USB

Also used this Youtube Video to clean up all the Audio Preferences:

Lets see how it goes in a day or so but so far I have changed configs in my DAW (Cubase) changes the Midi Preferences on my Mac and also the Output config on the FXIII and so far so good.

Last edited:
It's now been six days and working perfectly using the instructions in the above post.

Last edited:
Hello all. I am going to offer a solution to everyone's problem using Axe FX as their soundcard, but it will not be a popular solution.

We all consider the purchase of the Axe FX 3 to be an investment, and I know there may be expectations based off the manufacturer claims, etc.; however, I am here to tell you that while the Axe FX 3 is a brilliant guitar processor, it does not seem to be performing well as a dedicated audio interface. It is a great additional feature, but it is not where Fractal Audio have spent the majority of their time in development.

This solution will cost 269.00 as of today at Sweetwater. Consider it the cost to get a 100% flawless setup with the Axe that works all the time, every time, whether software is running or not.

1. Go purchase a Focusrite 8i6 3rd generation. As I mentioned, they are currently 269 online. (this is the cheapest Focusrite (or any interface I think) that has SPDIF I/O)
2. Install the Focusrite software.
3. Buy two (2) SPDIF cables. You can order them cheap on Amazon. Usually any RCA cable rated at 75ohm will work.
4. Connect the Axe FX 3 to the in / out of the Focusrite with the SPDIF cables.
5. Set the Axe FX 3 to receive word clock externally in your setup.
6. Set the Focusrite 8i6 to default to 48khz (the only sample rate available for the Axe FX 3) and as master clock.
7. In the Focusrite control software, set the SPDIF inputs to be always active through your monitors. This software does not need to be running constantly....just for setup. It sets the configuration of I/O and allows audio passthrough like a mixer.
8. When recording: In your DAW software, set the Focusrite as the recording interface at whatever latency you prefer.

This is basically it.
You will have the ability to have the AXE FX 3 running audio (digital) into the Focusrite at all times, regardless of anything else going on: DAW software, Youtube, Axe Edit, whatever. You will always have a signal coming through your speakers / headphones / etc. I leave my Axe FX off until I need it. It boots up, and there is signal. Every time. No dropouts, no reboot, no fuss.

There will be ZERO delay during recording due to latency, because you will always be monitoring the AXE FX 3 signal DIRECT. You will set your track to record but not monitor the signal. Going in via SPDIF also means there is no D/A A/D before recording so the signal is as pristine as the internals of the Axe FX.

You will be able to record in the DAW of your choice (I currently use Logic) with very mature ASIO / Core Audio drivers (Focusrite have been improving the Scarlett range for the better part of a decade). Round trip latency is almost as good as RME on my 2012 Mac Mini.

You will get an additional 6 inputs / 4 outputs via the 8i6, including a couple of mic pre's. You will get 5 pin DIN MIDI I/O, and two headphone outs.

This is the most painless, straightforward setup I have ever had. No switching default drivers, no reset, no issues. I am 100% certain that this setup would work the same on PC as it does on Mac.

I know the appeal of just having the Axe FX 3 as the only interface / centerpiece of your workflow is desireable. It just is not there yet IMO.

Consider the 269 as an add-on to get the Axe FX 3 integrated.

I am sure there are other ways to skin this cat, but this one is the easiest I have found. I have been recording audio via computers since the early 90's. I am not new to this game, and have had more interfaces / computer setups over the years than I can keep track of.

This setup is dead simple and 100% functional.

When Fractal gets the Axe this reliable with the same level of latency performance and functionality, I will be happy to re-evaluate.

Best of luck to everyone!

I'd like to remind that I solved my issue with separating the Axe3 and connected devices' (computer, screen, monitors) electric plug.

If I remember correctly, Cliff told that if the connected devices are powered from somewhere else than the Axe FX, there would be noise issues. So I'm powering them all together. Nothing more!

For 10 days, I have no issue at all. I'm running the Axe almost all day, since I'm always at home nowadays.

Hope it solves the problem, at least for some of you.

Back
Top Bottom