USB disconnecting

By the way, sorry if this has already been answered, but is this a problem only when using it as a primary interface? Or does it have the same problem when just recording guitar or reamping guitar tracks using USB?
I'm having this problem when using the Axe FX as the audio interface for Reaper both for recording and playback, but not as main Windows audio interface.

By the way, sorry if this has already been answered, but is this a problem only when using it as a primary interface? Or does it have the same problem when just recording guitar or reamping guitar tracks using USB?

In my case I'm using it as my main and only audio interface, so to record with and also play windows audio. When the USB audio drops out the Axe fx itself produces sound but it doesn't produce any sound from the DAW.

Yeah, It's a nuisance.
I'd rather plug /unplug in 2 seconds, than lose hours of valuable time to an issue that currently has no true resolve.
Not really an option for me. Once it gets disconnected, it does not come back by rebooting computer or Axe, nor by disconnecting and connecting again the USB cable. I have to wait long periods of time for it to work again, which barely makes any sense. I have not identified yet events or factor making it to work again.

Weird.

Not really an option for me. Once it gets disconnected, it does not come back by rebooting computer or Axe, nor by disconnecting and connecting again the USB cable. I have to wait long periods of time for it to work again, which barely makes any sense. I have not identified yet events or factor making it to work again.

Weird.

Wow, that is weird. In my case turning off the axe fx and pc and then restarting helps 90% of the time.

Weird.
Did you try booting the Axe 1st and booting your PC 2nd? My experience is rebooting computer (Mac) while Axe is already booted is usually successful.

Did you try booting the Axe 1st and booting your PC 2nd? My experience is rebooting computer (Mac) while Axe is already booted is usually successful.
Yes man, I've tried that too, with no difference. Tried lots of rebooting sequences, but once it stops working, there is no way to make It work again.

Besides, it's been working flawlesly in a Windows 7 machine for two days under all kinds of imaginable conditions, plugging, unplugging, with Axe II drivers, etc.

Isn't there some kind of diagnostic tool which can help in finding the conflict/malfunction?

Hi guys, I ran across this thread doing some research. I just wanted to tell you how I solved this problem.

Installing all my motherboard's newest chipset drivers.

After doing all the standard Windows audio optimizations:

Power Options>High Performance

Power Options>Disable USB Selective Suspend

Device Manager>Universal Serial Bus Controllers>Disable "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on all USB Hubs

Device Manager>Human Interface Devices>USB Input Device> Disable "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on all USB Input Devices

Go into your BIOS & disable "Fast Boot" & then go into Windows Power Options & on the left side of the page (Windows 10) click "Choose what the power buttons do", click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable" & disable "Turn On Fast Startup".

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpgUntitled.jpgUntitled2.jpg

That fixed it for me. Let me know if it works for you.

Make sure your PC doesn’t suspend your USB devices.
While on the Power Options screen Click the + button next to USB Settings
Click the + next to USB Selective suspend settings
Double click Enabled > click Disabled Apply > OK

Also worth mentioning, check out Bandzoogles article 20 Ways to optimize your Windows 10 PC for music production.
Not only will it solve USB issues, it will help lower latency and reduce any pops and clicks as well as enable the use of more RAM.

I just switched to a newer PC a few weeks ago and this problem has come back much worse all of a sudden around the same time I updated to 12.02 from 11. The new Win 10 PC had the sporadic problem right off the bat but got a lot worse when I upgraded- not sure if that's a coincidence or related because I haven't been playing as much while switching computers. I have disabled everything with the USB power functions, have the latest drivers installed and have done all of the other suggestions in this thread and the others but they didn't seem to make any difference.
I was trying to play this morning and it stopped working several times in a row within 5-10 minutes or less of each other within a 30 minute time period and nothing but an Axe 3 reboot would fix it. It stopped working in between one song and the next while I was active at the computer so it never even sat for awhile and then timed out like it did sometimes on my old computer. Then the last Axe reboot brought it all back up and it stayed good for 45 minutes.
A couple of things I did differently the last time I tried were that I changed the default sound devices around and I started playing songs in Groove Music instead of Song Surgeon 5 just to see if it made any difference and then switched back to Song Surgeon. Both Groove Music and Song Surgeon were able to show they were playing during the previous times it died and I was able to hear my guitar through headphones but wasn't getting any output from the computer- the test tones through the audio panel were not even coming through. This problem is driving me nuts all of a sudden again. I'm surprised this has been around so long with no definite fix or idea what's up.

Well, I just figured out my latest problem with USB disconnecting. I have a small fan under my desk that is plugged into a remote switch that I mounted on the front of my desk to turn it on and off without getting under the desk and when I kicked it on this afternoon after practicing for awhile, the audio died from my PC again. I happened to look at Axe Edit when I kicked it on and off again to see what was up and saw that Axe Edit was showing the Axe was disconnecting for a second in the upper left hand corner when I switched the fan on. It turns out that my USB cable was running near the fan under my desk so it must have been sending a signal or killing the USB connection for a second when switched on or off. I moved the USB cable away from the fan and all is well so far after an Axe reboot. I will say that I run a longer than usual USB cable from my PC to my Axe too so that may also have something to do with it.
I seem to remember that someone else posted in one of these threads about an electrical anomaly that when fixed, worked for awhile but ended up going back to disconnecting eventually?
Anyway, hopefully that's my problem fixed now and maybe it could be a similar issue with some of you? I'll report back if it crops up again.
Hunter

Hi guys, I ran across this thread doing some research. I just wanted to tell you how I solved this problem.

Installing all my motherboard's newest chipset drivers.

After doing all the standard Windows audio optimizations:

Power Options>High Performance

Power Options>Disable USB Selective Suspend

Device Manager>Universal Serial Bus Controllers>Disable "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on all USB Hubs

Device Manager>Human Interface Devices>USB Input Device> Disable "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on all USB Input Devices

Go into your BIOS & disable "Fast Boot" & then go into Windows Power Options & on the left side of the page (Windows 10) click "Choose what the power buttons do", click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable" & disable "Turn On Fast Startup".

View attachment 62401

View attachment 62402View attachment 62401View attachment 62402

That fixed it for me. Let me know if it works for you.

I did all of those things but to no avail. Thanks for the suggestions though!

I have the same problem on Windows, hopefully it is just a driver issue, because it does not seem happen on macOs.

Hi all,

I am new to my Axe Fx III and I can't seem to find the answer to this question. I use my Axe Fx as a USB interface into Reaper and I monitor with headphones plugged into the Axe. When I boot up the device and Reaper, I can hear my playing and also play backing tracks or whatever in Reaper and monitor those. It works perfectly.

But, if I leave the computer and device on for awhile with no audio playing, it's like the USB connection times out .I can still hear my guitar, and when I play a backing track in Reaper, the meters are moving, but I can't hear it. If I shut off the Axe and turn it back on, problem solved. Is there are way to prevent this "timing out"

Thanks .
Depends on Mac or Pc

on Mac it’s a known usb issue, not fractal. As long as I power on the axe first before waking the computer all is good. If I forget and lose Audio, I pull the usb plug out for just 2 seconds, put it back in, and everything goes back to normal.

if you have a PC, is the computer going to sleep? Screensaver?

did it happen on older usb drivers, or maybe you need to update them?

For anyone running Windows, this usually fixes any USB issues on the PC.
First make sure none of your USB ports are being controlled by any energy saver formats.
Go to your power options and put your system into high performance mode.
Go into Device Manager, Under view, show hidden devices. Remove all greyed out entries you see. These are devices that are no longer present or have been updated during Windows updates.
Go into your programs and uninstall all your USB drivers for the AXE.
In Device Manager, under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, right click and uninstall your USB devices.
In Device Manager, highlight the first item on the list, usually desktop, go to Actions menu and scan for hardware changes.
In Device Manager, check each item's Power Management properties under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, by right clicking each device. Uncheck the Power Management check boxes.
Re-install AXE FX USB drivers.

For anyone running Windows, this usually fixes any USB issues on the PC.
First make sure none of your USB ports are being controlled by any energy saver formats.
Go to your power options and put your system into high performance mode.
Go into Device Manager, Under view, show hidden devices. Remove all greyed out entries you see. These are devices that are no longer present or have been updated during Windows updates.
Go into your programs and uninstall all your USB drivers for the AXE.
In Device Manager, under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, right click and uninstall your USB devices.
In Device Manager, highlight the first item on the list, usually desktop, go to Actions menu and scan for hardware changes.
In Device Manager, check each item's Power Management properties under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, by right clicking each device. Uncheck the Power Management check boxes.
Re-install AXE FX USB drivers.

Unfortunately none of those suggestions worked for me :(
I appreciate the suggestions though!

I'm also experiencing this issue frequently, approximately 10 times a day. I run my Axe3 almost always, for playing and as a sound interface.

I'm using Win10 x64 OS. I tried everything including the USB shut down settings, both from the device manager and the power settings. I emptied all my USB3 slots, and only Axe3 runs on it right now, all other devices are on USB2 slots. I disabled fast boot, and applied the 20 steps for optimizing Windows for music production, but still no luck.

My computer and my cable is 10 years old, but I didn't experience this with the Axe2. On Axe2, I was frequently having the Axe-Edit communication error. On Axe3, Windows sounds suddenly get silent, Axe-Edit is still intact, and in my DAW, I can still record music, but cannot play it back.

Yesterday, I checked the Event Viewer, and nothing relevant was there at the time of the problem's occurrence. This is all the info I have :)

I'm planning to get a high quality (yet not so expensive) USB cable, and inform about the situation.

Lastly, is anyone experiencing this with any other Windows version other than 10? If not, I will return to Win7 gladly. I hate Win10 :)

Try to disable all other Playback and recording devices under Sound settings.
That's have decreased my UBS disconnections in Windows 10.

The quality of the USB cable has nothing to do with the disconnections to do, of course it may not be broken.

Try to disable all other Playback and recording devices under Sound settings.
That's have decreased my UBS disconnections in Windows 10.

The quality of the USB cable has nothing to do with the disconnections to do, of course it may not be broken.

Already did it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I think that I may have solved my issue!

I have a Nektar Pacer midi controller, that is connected to the Axe via the MIDI port. I was giving power to the controller via USB from the computer. The Axe3 is also connected to the same computer.

The USB cable that connected the Pacer to the PC was broken on one side, but I fixed its angle with hand and it was being able to power the controller. I was also being able to upload/download presets for the Pacer using the Pacer Web Editor. Shortly, it is broken but it just works fine :)

I removed that cable from the computer, and no problem since 6 hours! I won't connect the Pacer to the computer till tomorrow and test the situation. Let me also tell that I had the issue with the Axe even if the controller was off, so if I'm right, the problem was the cable itself being connected to the PC, it cannot be anything about the Pacer.

Right now, if this is no coincidence, there are two probabilities:

1) The problem occurred becasue of the broken cable: I will test this tomorrow by connecting the Pacer to the PC with another cable.
2) It occurred because two devices were connected to the same PC: Then I will power the Pacer with an adapter.

I will write again.

Edit #1: almost 9 hours. Problem only occurred once, and that was just after I accidentally hit and almost broke the wireless adapter :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom