USB Coming Soon?

The M-Audio Midisport 2X2 Anniversary is class-compliant, meaning it does not require any additional drivers (class drivers are supplied with the OS). If I were designing one I'd certainly attempt to live within the class constraints and avoid the whole driver mess.

Agreed, class-compliant is the way to go. And that's why I bought the Midisport 2x2 anniversary and it works great for me.
My other guitar player also uses the Midisport 2x2 Anniversary and has issues depending on which of his XP machines he connects to.
I guess all I'm saying is that, no (relatively affordable) unit seems to work with all PC/Macs. So I don't see how Fractal could solve that issue.

Class-compliant is nice in theory. The problem is that you're depending upon the drivers supplied by the OS. Microsoft drivers are terrible. Full of bugs they have no interest in fixing.

I demonstrated that their Win7 64-bit MIDI class driver has a bug and they accused me of not interpreting the spec correctly. They refused to acknowledge they made a mistake and were incredibly arrogant about it. When I asked why the 32-bit version works fine they stopped responding.

It would just be nice to have a system in place between the computer and the AxeFx where one doesn't have to unplug and replug the connections because of some random issue. I have the Midisport Ans. 2x2. Using it with Windows XP. Still have this problem from time to time. Makes me want to use the AxeFx front panel instead.

All I know is, I don't have this problem with other USB connections I have with the computer. They consistently work fine. So, the problem really is the Windows drivers with the Windows OS?

It would just be nice to have a system in place between the computer and the AxeFx where one doesn't have to unplug and replug the connections because of some random issue.
I use the Edirol UM-3 with the Roland-supplied drivers. It's been rock-solid for me.

Class-compliant is nice in theory. The problem is that you're depending upon the drivers supplied by the OS. Microsoft drivers are terrible. Full of bugs they have no interest in fixing.

I demonstrated that their Win7 64-bit MIDI class driver has a bug and they accused me of not interpreting the spec correctly. They refused to acknowledge they made a mistake and were incredibly arrogant about it. When I asked why the 32-bit version works fine they stopped responding.
There is something to be said for having that critical piece of software under your own control, and I did say attempt. I'd still go class-compliant and try to only release drivers for platforms where the imbedded OS support is inadequate.

Do you have a reference number for the bug you submitted to Microsoft?

I agree that an addition of a USB port or extra MIDI ports would be great for the next models of the Axe. I have mine connected with a MIDI splitter so that I can use the MFC101 and Axe Edit at the same time, however the added ports (whatever they may be), would make life much easier. The workaround works fine for me, but added ports would be a much more elegant solution.

The Axe FX is truly awesome.

Forget USB. Thunderbolt is the new kid in I/O town. Or so I heard.

Of course we need USB! ..I think all of you guys are missing out on something!..

As we're talking about future products, we might as well use the Thunderbolt I/O technology.
This should be implemented in the MFC-101 in addition to the new Ultra on steroids.

But why does everybody only mention MIDI, when talking about USB?
More importantly, with a USB or Thunderbolt connection, the Axe-Fx could also serve as a high quality audio interface.

To take Axe-Fx to the nest level - Fractal Audio need to develop plug-ins for DAWs - and integrate it with the hardware unit (Axe-Fx) that we all love so much. Taking it far beyond the Avid Eleven Rack (which is a 8 in 2 out audio interface (Pro Tools) in addition to being a guitar processor).

Just for fun, I bought a Fender G-Dec 30, mainly to use for practice. I connected the thing (USB) to my MacBook Pro and immediately started to edit the presets - easy and cool. Then I started up Pro Tools 9, and used the Fender as an audio interface, actually hearing my Pro Tools projects thru the speaker of the G-Dec 30. Nothing else needed! Total mix and click thru G-Dec speaker, while recording guitar sounds from G-Dec into Pro Tools, easy!.

Depending on what is inside the Axe-Fx unit (hardware), the future Axe-Fx might need to be a hardware plug-in for DAWs. I'm not sure if Fractal could reproduce the Axe-Fx in a plug-in, or how much computing power is needed. Again the Tunderbolt connection would be the way to go!

The Thunderbolt could easily pass audio signals, MIDI stuff, and everything else in a daisy chain: Computer - Axe-Fx - Controller (MFC-101)
Anything else, perhaps future guitars, could be added to the chain.

There's a sticky in the Axe-Edit section listing all the interfaces that are known to work and not work. Just pick one that works and you're all set.

new to this forum as i've been looking forward to replacing my current live/studio rig with the axe fx standard/atomic powered cab, and the McMillen Softstep. this post helped out a lot as i've also been trying to figure out a interface that will work. thanks!

As we're talking about future products, we might as well use the Thunderbolt I/O technology.
This should be implemented in the MFC-101 in addition to the new Ultra on steroids.

But why does everybody only mention MIDI, when talking about USB?
More importantly, with a USB or Thunderbolt connection, the Axe-Fx could also serve as a high quality audio interface.

To take Axe-Fx to the nest level - Fractal Audio need to develop plug-ins for DAWs - and integrate it with the hardware unit (Axe-Fx) that we all love so much. Taking it far beyond the Avid Eleven Rack (which is a 8 in 2 out audio interface (Pro Tools) in addition to being a guitar processor).

Just for fun, I bought a Fender G-Dec 30, mainly to use for practice. I connected the thing (USB) to my MacBook Pro and immediately started to edit the presets - easy and cool. Then I started up Pro Tools 9, and used the Fender as an audio interface, actually hearing my Pro Tools projects thru the speaker of the G-Dec 30. Nothing else needed! Total mix and click thru G-Dec speaker, while recording guitar sounds from G-Dec into Pro Tools, easy!.

Depending on what is inside the Axe-Fx unit (hardware), the future Axe-Fx might need to be a hardware plug-in for DAWs. I'm not sure if Fractal could reproduce the Axe-Fx in a plug-in, or how much computing power is needed. Again the Tunderbolt connection would be the way to go!

The Thunderbolt could easily pass audio signals, MIDI stuff, and everything else in a daisy chain: Computer - Axe-Fx - Controller (MFC-101)
Anything else, perhaps future guitars, could be added to the chain.

Excuse my ignorance, what's a "thunderbolt connection"?

I can´t understand that the Fractal boys not planning to incorporate a USB port.

Hell even the Fender Mustang 1 has USB port.

FENDER MUSTANG I - Thomann Cyberstore Español
1600-Mustang1_detail2.jpg

Last edited:
What benefit will a next-gen Axe-Fx using USB offer that a current Axe-Fx using MIDI and digital I/O not already provide?

depends on how they implement USB. In its simplest state, nothing would change other than the cables and connectors, with USB doing nothing more than sending/receiving MIDI/sysex data. You would hope that, with USB, the Axe-Fx could be connected to a computer for use with the Axedit while allowing the existing MIDI ports to be connected to floor pedal controllers and the like. This alone would be extremely handy for those who have had to use MIDI mergers in order to have this functionality currently.

I can also imagine that you might also be able to back up presets via USB using a thumb drive, which would also be a very handy and practical feature to have.

Taken to another level, USB could also allow the Axe-Fx to be used as a bona fide Audio I/O for computer recording. That would be very cool, but that would seem to be a much more ambitious undertaking...but very, very cool.

What benefit will a next-gen Axe-Fx using USB offer that a current Axe-Fx using MIDI and digital I/O not already provide?

Scott: Some people seem to think that a USB connection will complicate things?!

I do think (and know) it would make things easier. No need for an extra MIDI-interface (some have had trouble connecting with some brands). One direct connection between your computer and the Axe-Fx - using software-editor, updates and so on.

Now imagine adding a high quality audio-interface to that. Allowing you to connect directly to your favorite DAW (Pro Tools in my case), listening thru the Axe-Fx outputs - and recording your favorite Axe-Fx sounds onto your project, along with all setting used to create your patches (total recall).

Using Thunderbolt technology one could take it further: Daisy chaining your computer with the Axe-Fx and the MFC-101. Everything accessible from the computer/software-editor. Hardware-updates, editing Axe-Fx presets, setting up the foot-controller and so on..

Same thing, as mentioned before, regarding the audio-interface, and in addition perhaps being able to use the Axe-Fx as a hardware plug-in.

And what about an analog effect loop on the MFC-101, and perhaps a guitar input. No problem for a Thunderbolt cable to carry these signals. Allowing you to have your favorite hand made effect pedal(s) right next to the MFC-101 without any extra cables going across the floor - and placing them anywhere you want in the Axe-Fx Matrix! :)

Thunderbolt: Thunderbolt™ Technology

jimfist: I do not think it's too ambitious to see the future Axe-Fx as a HQ audio-interface. In fact I'm pretty sure that the guys at Fractal are working on this - and to make a plug-in for DAWs. Like I said in my earlier post: my cheap Fender G-Dec 30 has this feature (audio-interface thru USB)

I do not think it's too ambitious to see the future Axe-Fx as a HQ audio-interface. In fact I'm pretty sure that the guys at Fractal are working on this - and to make a plug-in for DAWs.

I'd absolutely love to see that, so I hope you're correct.

Back
Top Bottom