ULTRA R.I.P.?

Ant Music

Fractal Fanatic
does this all mean that there will be little or no further development with the ultra and standard axe fx's?

the limits are almost achieved i guess.
let's hope that AXE-2 really delivers and that
used prices for standard and ultra models do not get into absurd.

i believe the price for Ultra will still be quite good as other products are still not catching upto the Axe Fx 1. i don't think i'll be rushing out and getting an axe fx 2 any time soon. i use my ultra mainly for effects and less for amps etc. many of the touted improvements in the axe fx 2 (more amps and cabs) don't really make me cream my pants. although i imagine that i'd eventually buy one. also i can't be fukd with the whole pain in the arse with getting one. getting my ultra was hard enough.

edit: also wondering if the axe fx 2 will have a compare function so that you can alternate between your saved settings and your recently edited settings with out having to save edits to a different location in order to be able to compare? that would be great.

Last edited:
G66 seems to relaunch the website. For a short moment i could reach it -> The pictures for ordering the axes (gen1) GONE! Their annoncment talks about "history". I really think both units are obsolete right now! Also, the day has just 24 Hours: so, we needed TWO Cliffs for firmware updates on the G1 and G2 axes ... right? I think, Firmware 11 is the final release, perhaps small addendums, but nothing really new ... Also i think the Jose model will not come anymore for our vintage Axes ... to prevent the disappointment of many "last-day" buyiers of the Ultra, it would have been more clever to introduce Jose model right now, not later ... so i don`t think it will ever come ...

Yeah,
i think that the Axe II will replace the Std. and the Ultra,
but it doesn't really matter, my Std. sounds absolutely amazing this morning, nothing changed from yesterday :)

I don't know... It would be good to have an entry model, even though I got in at the Ultra, it was just sheer luck I had enough money to bridge the gap at the time. If not for that bit of luck I would have started with the standard and ever since I haven't had the money so I wouldn't have had the Ultra now.

But I don't see any market room for the Ultra model when the II is the same price.

I don't know... It would be good to have an entry model, even though I got in at the Ultra, it was just sheer luck I had enough money to bridge the gap at the time. If not for that bit of luck I would have started with the standard and ever since I haven't had the money so I wouldn't have had the Ultra now.

But I don't see any market room for the Ultra model when the II is the same price.

Yes , same price range and twice the power and lot of new hardware/software features.
We'll be lucky if we can sell our used Ultras for 1000€, let's see how things come. Anyway, that's life, digital hardware becomes obsolete quickly, more if there's some state-of-the-art software needing for it.

For sure the worst part of all of this if for 11R. Market is going to be full of second hand Axes that are more avanced that their units at a very similar price range

Industry standard for most everything especially digital equipment is to sale old hardware at reduced prices before you introduce something new.

The standard and ultra models are discontinued, imho... A bunch, like 11, ULTRAs were "dumped" in the last month or so by a seller called "fractalworldwide" for around $2,400 each on ebay. Now you'd be lucky to get $1,400 for an ULTRA or $900 for a standard. I don't understand why we're all supposed to be so stoked about this?! Especially those of us, like me, who just "invested" $2,000 within the last few months, in my case Feb. '11.

Last edited:
The standard and ultra models are discontinued, imho... A bunch, like 11, ULTRAs were "dumped" in the last month or so by a seller called "fractalworldwide" for around $2,400 each on ebay. Now you'd be lucky to get $1,400 for an ULTRA or $900 for a standard. I don't understand why we're all supposed to be so stoked about this?! Especially those of us, like me, who just "invested" $2,000 within the last few months, in my case Feb. '11.

"Fractalworldwide" never was nor is affiliated with Fractal Audio. In fact, the user community and Cliff himself has gone to lengths to shut that guy down.

Does your Ultra somehow not sound as good as it did yesterday or in the past?

Yeah - I don't know about everyone else, but my Standard still kicks ass. I'll also be buying a
II when they are finally released. My Standard won't be going anywhere. I see it up to this point as the Axe community has been living the dream with the ability to sell a device they've used for a year for close to what they paid for it. IMO, that's unprecedented as I don't know of many things in this world that fall into this category - especially in the world of electronics...
Nevertheless, looks like the II is gonna address several shortcomings of the Standard and Ultra, so I'm really looking forward to it.
While on topic, if anyone had a Standard they want to sell cheap I'll buy it :)

I've said it already and I'll say it here again. Those of you whining about resale value should have been listing your units last night when you heard about the II. Listed my standard for 1400 and it got bought up instantly.

Yeah sure, I'll be without a unit for 2 or 3 weeks. But I won't be out $400.

This idea of "value" is something that is difficult to quantify as it means different things to different people...

Is your Ultra worth less after the announcement of the Axe-FX II then before? Definitely...

Does this matter if you intend to keep your Ultra and play it for all that it is worth, and derive as much pleasure from it as it has to give hampered only by individual ability? Not at all...

So what everyone here that is griping about value is really griping about is their ability to cash in on a 5 year old piece of technology in order to afford the new, bleeding edge technology.

I myself owned an Ultra right at the start, sold it in 2009 due to my child being born, and got back on board recently (8 months ago) and I am not the least bit upset by this announcement because I have a choice:

Disregard the announcement as the Ultra does everything that I need it to, continue to enjoy my very advanced guitar processor and spend more time playing and less time griping or sell it for what I can to what will no doubt be a very thirsty market, take something of a hit, and get the new tech.

I am happy to be living in a situation where I have so many options at my disposal...it's a lot better than waking up to gunfire or famine.

My 2 cents.

I hope Cliff will offer a discount or trade in for existing AxeFx owners. I think that there will always be a used market for the Axe I but the prices will drop as the Axe II sales ramp up.

Back
Top Bottom