ULTRA R.I.P.?

I'd be shocked if both the first generation AxeFX's aren't done.

I mean the price he was charging wasn't some arbitrary number pulled from the air; look at the price of the AxeFXII...it's about $200 more. An additional DSP is going to cost about $200 more. He can't make and sell Ultras for less than he was selling them for before from the looks of it.

Combine that with the hassle of maintaining and building 2 different platforms (and who in their right mind would save $200 to get the 'old one' now).

Unless he keeps the Ultra platform and drops the price $500. This way there is still an entry level Axe.

(tschebbi) It still sounds great, just lost half of it's value overnight after having it for 6weeks...
Where do you get "lost half of its value" from? I have a back up unit so I listed my Ultra today. Within six hours I had the unit sold at $1,500 and two other potential buyers as back up.
70-75% return on used digital music gear is pretty strong.

This is the reason I bought an Ultra (and not a Standard): ON-GOING F/W UPGRADES
I think an official statement from Fractal Audio on future f/w upgrades for the Standard and Ultra is in order.

+1. Is 11 the end of the line? What's the deal Cliff?

Personally, I'm kind of miffed that, at least initially, FAS is offering the Axe II at a price point so close to the Ultra. I'd have figured at least a $2500 initial price point...
That's the first time I've ever heard a consumer wish a product was more expensive than it is. :)

(Dpoirier)This is the reason I bought an Ultra (and not a Standard): ON-GOING F/W UPGRADES
I think an official statement from Fractal Audio on future f/w upgrades for the Standard and Ultra is in order.
(Caribefatboy)I think an official statement from Fractal Audio on future f/w upgrades for the Standard and Ultra is in order.
(BenLevy)Is 11 the end of the line? What's the deal Cliff?
Regarding firmware updates to the Ultra Cliff posted this in the "technical questions" thread:

"People wonder why there haven't been many firmware updates recently. The reason is the FLASH is nearly full. I've run out of tricks to find more memory. I'm reserving what little is left for amp models."

Last edited:
That's the first time I've ever heard a consumer wish a product was more expensive than it is. :)

Seriously only with Fractal Audio can such oddities exist. I think this place is the 8th dimension being sucked into the 9th.

You're not familiar with the audiophile world then! There are rich dudes who have the idea that the more something costs the better it is. That's the key to companies like Mark Levinson. I wonder what the AxeFx would sound like through a pair of their No 33 monoblocks. :)

Honestly, based on two statements Cliff made in the past couple days, a $2200 pricetag doesn't really make sense to me. One he said that the cost of producing Ultras had actually risen during the production run but they didn't raise the price, and two he said that there's an extra $200 component in the AxeFx II. So that implies that pricing the AxeFx II at $2200 means a lower profit margin that the Ultra had when it was first priced. With the crazy demand for Ultras, months long waiting lists, the laws of supply and demand tell us that the Ultra was already underpriced. I think $2500 would probably be a more reasonable pricetag for the AxeFx II, personally. The difference between $2k for the Ultra and $2.5k for the AxeFx II is probably negligible to many if not most of the Fractal clientele. From the way people are talking about a $300/400 drop in resale value over a couple day period, it's obvious that money really isn't any concern to these people. And it's just inherent in the nature of a $2k box, the people that can drop $2k on one box are not dealing with a budget like the nominal guitar player, who spends $500 on a guitar and $500 on a used amp. this is already the world of the financial elite, like it or not.

Regarding firmware updates to the Ultra Cliff posted this in the "technical questions" thread:
"People wonder why there haven't been many firmware updates recently. The reason is the FLASH is nearly full. I've run out of tricks to find more memory. I'm reserving what little is left for amp models."

Good post is good! It shows Cliff is still busting his balls for us vintage axe guys. Considering all the lip he's gotten, that right there is devotion.

You're not familiar with the audiophile world then! There are rich dudes who have the idea that the more something costs the better it is. That's the key to companies like Mark Levinson. I wonder what the AxeFx would sound like through a pair of their No 33 monoblocks. :)

Honestly, based on two statements Cliff made in the past couple days, a $2200 pricetag doesn't really make sense to me. One he said that the cost of producing Ultras had actually risen during the production run but they didn't raise the price, and two he said that there's an extra $200 component in the AxeFx II. So that implies that pricing the AxeFx II at $2200 means a lower profit margin that the Ultra had when it was first priced. With the crazy demand for Ultras, months long waiting lists, the laws of supply and demand tell us that the Ultra was already underpriced. I think $2500 would probably be a more reasonable pricetag for the AxeFx II, personally. The difference between $2k for the Ultra and $2.5k for the AxeFx II is probably negligible to many if not most of the Fractal clientele. From the way people are talking about a $300/400 drop in resale value over a couple day period, it's obvious that money really isn't any concern to these people. And it's just inherent in the nature of a $2k box, the people that can drop $2k on one box are not dealing with a budget like the nominal guitar player, who spends $500 on a guitar and $500 on a used amp. this is already the world of the financial elite, like it or not.

I'm financially elite? Awesome! I don't know what that means but it sounds good! :lol
Anyways, it just shows that Cliff isn't out to make a quick buck. If he was, he'd have sold the company to Line 6 a long time ago. I commend him for his awesomeness

Last edited:
So Cliff not trying to make money with his business is something you would commend? I gotta say, you have an interesting business sense!

Well I admit I am a bit looney but I think the man should profit so you do have a point in the 2200 for axe 2. I thought it was gonna be at least 2500 considering all the options it has and that is fairly generous. I was gonna buy an ENGL Invader for 3k whenever I came up with that crazy sum.

:lol Right you are! They're monoblocks, dude! Monoblocks! They gotta be awesome!

Honestly, based on two statements Cliff made in the past couple days, a $2200 pricetag doesn't really make sense to me. One he said that the cost of producing Ultras had actually risen during the production run but they didn't raise the price...
The pricing does make sense. Remember that part of the purchase price of the Ultra and Standard had to cover Fractal's R&D and startup costs. Once those costs were recovered, those units became more profitable to produce, and it was easier to absorb increased production costs.

Supply and demand. Higher demand than supply, on what is already a boutique-priced item. I dunno, it seems like a bit of a slam dunk to see that they're underpriced, unless the long-term goal is dramatically increased production down the road. So maybe it's safe to assume that Fractal's long-term plans are to leave their niche and get more mainstream, more high-volume? I dunno, I would think that would be incredibly difficult at a price point like this. Whatever, I'm just gonna assume their long-term marketing plans are sound. No pun intended. ;P

Supply and demand. Higher demand than supply, on what is already a boutique-priced item. I dunno, it seems like a bit of a slam dunk to see that they're underpriced, unless the long-term goal is dramatically increased production down the road. So maybe it's safe to assume that Fractal's long-term plans are to leave their niche and get more mainstream, more high-volume? I dunno, I would think that would be incredibly difficult at a price point like this. Whatever, I'm just gonna assume their long-term marketing plans are sound. No pun intended. ;P

a good pun indeed!

Supply and demand. Higher demand than supply, on what is already a boutique-priced item. I dunno, it seems like a bit of a slam dunk to see that they're underpriced...
I think you're right. Fractal could charge more. I'm glad they don't, whatever the reason.

woah epic thread hijack!! i was originally wondering if there would be ongoing support and FW upgrades for ultras. i don't wanna hear you all crying and sooking about not getting more money for it on ebay. get over it. you bought the thing cause you wanted it because it kicks arse and you've still got it and it still kicks arse. everything becomes obsolete eventually. there is no rule saying that you have to sell it. i'll be keeping mine cause i am still getting new amazing tones out of it. even without FW upgrades there is still so much scope for experimentation and untapped potential in this (still) amazing little box.

Last edited:
It just boggles my mind at the number of people that are so up in arms over the thought that the Ultra may be as good as humanly possible. Are we so used to living in a world where bug fixes and patches and missing features are more desirable than a completely functioning, optimally programmed unit? I love the rush of new stuff as much as anyone else, but at the end of the day we all bought something that's supposed to do something and it does it...and does it very well.

I hate to say it but the way that people have turned on this whole thing makes me wonder what the motivation is to release a ton of firmware in the future if the reward for years of hard work is complaints in the end.

The growing pains are over, the beta testing is done, the final coat of polish has been applied....take a break for a second and enjoy the final product. Instead of wondering what may be possible enjoy what is possible for at least a few minutes.

I'd just really hate to see the one guy that makes all of this possible lose his motivation. Money can only drive you so hard, but if you love what you are doing and feel a sense of gratitude that will push you a lot further. And yeah, I know that we all have kissed his butt plenty in the past; I'm not talking about praise, I'm talking about making sure that he doesn't hate working from the negative vibes.

Last edited:
Shasha +1.000.000

People buying axe-fxs for the Fw upgrades??? What did they expect? Perpetual Christmas day? The current axes are AWESOME and inspiring tone machines, miles ahead of any of the competition and afaik currently bug free.

I must say I am very disappointed in some guys here. Especially those that have been around for years and still complain that Cliff decides the units to be complete! If that is even the case.

I can understand about new owners. But G1 axe-fx have been around for quite a while now. They are not new anymore.

Anybody know a good internet forum addiction therapist? Preferably online?

Back
Top Bottom