Ultra Firmware Version 9.00 Released

mranonimouse said:
Thanks for the update Cliff!!! :D

Why are a lot of you guys hitting the "update all presets" button?

I thought we only did that when instructed to do so by the release notes?

Some of you old dogs tell me I'm correct on this please!

You are correct sir.

Stratoblaster said:
The touch response is impressive and the power amp seems to have a sweeter compression/transition into distortion than before...inspiring and very musical to say the least.

-the high frequencies are now more rounded, smoother, natural sounding, and easier to polish with just the Presence and Treble controls. The smooth high end 'sheen' that I've been trying to tweak in pre 9.00 is just there, right off the bat.

-generally, I live in the mild crunch zone, and the interaction of the Drive and Master to get those types of sounds is dramatically improved and easier to adjust. There is a smoothness and rounding of the distortion characteristics that I've been looking for, both in preamp and power amp.
I hope that the way I'm reading this is what I am experiencing. I'm still a standard newb but am tweaking away. My biggest problems are what you have described here (well, I hope). The highs have a tendency to thin out and become brittle. Finding the right compensation factors is tough without loosing some studliness in other frequencies. It sounds like this update addresses that.

The mild crunch thing is something I haven't been able to do yet. I kind of get clean then right into distortion and can't quiet get that inbetween, pre-distortion OD sound dialed in. I've tried a lot (but still a newb) but come up short. I know it's all subjective, but I hope you are describing what I've been missing. :)

Anyways, excellent review. I'm pretty excited.

mortega76 said:
He already did that with Bank A, B & C being updated... Bank A & B are for both the Ultra & Standard... Bank C is customized for the Ultra but has quite a bit of patches that will work on the Standard.
I have a standard and haven't had it long. It's ver 8.05 and didn't bother updating until I had some more experience with the unit. Then word of 9.0 was coming out soon so I decided to just wait for that.

If I could ask a couple questions....I noticed updated presets are available for download as well (I assume the same thing for the standard release). Are these tweaks that Cliff has done to the presets that takes into consideration his program tweaking?

And the guy I bought it from (raz) had Banks A and B moved to B and C so bank A could be used for his personal presets. I told him I'd rather have it like that so he left it that way. BUT, being a newb, I'm not sure how to get Cliff's new presets bank A and B into B and C so that my bank A is left untouched. Is there a tutorial or something for doing this?

Thanks

mranonimouse said:

I did it because that is what the manual instructed.

Preset Update

This function allows you to update all presets to the latest protocol. The Axe-Fx can read presets stored in either the current version or one version prior. When a preset is saved it is saved in the latest protocol. If you’ve just updated the firmware to a major revision you can convert all your presets to the latest protocol by using this function.

Is the manual incorrect?

WKG said:
mranonimouse said:

I did it because that is what the manual instructed.

Preset Update

This function allows you to update all presets to the latest protocol. The Axe-Fx can read presets stored in either the current version or one version prior. When a preset is saved it is saved in the latest protocol. If you’ve just updated the firmware to a major revision you can convert all your presets to the latest protocol by using this function.

Is the manual incorrect?

I think of the latest "protocol" as the internal format of the preset. I think Cliff has the firmware that presets created in 6.x to 9.x are compatible. So there is no reason to do this unless specifically instructed.

You get points for reading the manual.

Rogue said:
And the guy I bought it from (raz) had Banks A and B moved to B and C so bank A could be used for his personal presets. I told him I'd rather have it like that so he left it that way. BUT, being a newb, I'm not sure how to get Cliff's new presets bank A and B into B and C so that my bank A is left untouched. Is there a tutorial or something for doing this?

Thanks

I put them in B & C as well, here's the Wiki page that explains how:

http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... k_Location

Raca said:
I LOVE THE NEW REVERB!!

Thank you again Cliff!
Honestly, I can't wait to see what you do with the new update. I have been using your patches pretty much exclusively lately. The AB patches you put together using the exp pedal are awesome.

Sup? :mrgreen:

I forgot to reply back after updating last night......

3 words...Hell Yeah Man :!:

Cliff...Brother...Whatever epiphanies dawned on you to do this,,KICK SERIOUS ASS.

Among the many things that roll around in my head,,there has always been this tone I hear,,and I'm still chasing it,,but I believe in the end I'm gonna find in my Ultra someday,, anyway,,there is this little quality that I cannot put into words in that tone that I have never been able to pull out of the immense plethora of amps and racks I've owned over the years, but I've heard this quality on the occasional tune on a couple of CD's,,,but,,I,,, have never been able to get it....till now :cool: :mrgreen:

I'm guessing, it has got to be whatever you did to the power amp models,(maybe a little of the reworked preamp and tone control tapers too) cause I've only been jammin on a patch with the FAS Modern, and as soon as I brought up the patch I heard it and was like :eek:

Now I'm one step closer. I skimmed through some other patches but had to come right back cause I am having to much fun. I guess I'll get around to spending some time with the new Bogners at some point ,,but I did really like the 5150 sim when I punched up a patch with it in there that sounded bitchin.

THANKS CLIFF YOU ROCK
MOSHON
DAVE

Point me in the right direction if I'm being stupid, but is there somewhere I can follow the progress of the Standard firmware?

Can the standard hardware handle the new upgrades?

the-patient said:
Point me in the right direction if I'm being stupid, but is there somewhere I can follow the progress of the Standard firmware?

No worries, the Standard firmware will be along shortly. Cliff always staggers the firmware releases (to manage his workload, I'd guess).

edit: To be precise, I'm speaking from experience rather than any kind of inside information.

ElectricPhase said:
the-patient said:

No worries, the Standard firmware will be along shortly. Cliff always staggers the firmware releases (to manage his workload, I'd guess).

Thanks for the quick reply, again sorry if that question was redundant.

I'm new(ish) here!

I have to say I'm dying in anticipation of this with all the reviews.

I never said much or participated much in the forum, because... I didn't actually play it all that much since I got it in january :eek: :oops:
So I figured my conscious and subconscious disappointments in aspects of the unit were because of me not digging deeper (undoubtedly part of it).

When demoing, I used to hear myself saying to friends "Wow, can you feel/hear the dynamics of this thing? :) " but at the same time hearing myself sorta lying to a certain degree... :mrgreen: Secretly, I would tend to sympathize with the crowd that felt Input 1 had compression on it, etc.

Thanks to a.o. the *new* dynamics (WOW :p ), this is finally over and I feel "the basics" are now in place ;)
It's now sounding like I expected it to sound in the first place: potentially earth destroying :D and I'm finally able to confidently demo it and tell people "I told you so! :D " :lol: Easily the best update so far, for me.

My journey with it and 2 Atomics can finally start more proactively.
BIG :!: Thank You :!: for giving me the Axe-FX I thought I bought! :cool:

Someday, I have to believe Cliff is going to pump up a firmware update that does absolutely nothing, just to hear all of us rave about how much better everything is. The temptation must be intense for him. :twisted:

I dunno, I think I hear the differences. I think the feel is improved. It really feels terrific, and I was raving about it to my wife. I think I hear what folks are saying about the master control. The rotary control is definitely the closest thing I've heard to the Leslie experience I had with a real - and superb - Leslie (other-effing-worldly if you haven't ever had the pleasure). I won't say the effect with the Axe-FX is the same, but maybe I will when my Reactor FR's arrive on Thursday (God, please!).

I mean, it seems really, really good. But I really wish I had the resources to get two Ultras and two sets of good powered monitors, and compare the two versions side-by-side. I just can't supress the nagging little voice in my head that says, "c'mon, do you REALLY sense a difference?"

Somebody hit me with a guitar. I'm blaspheming.

Damn, this is amaaaaaaazing! It couldn't possibly be any better than this! Cliff will be getting bored now, because you can't improve on perfection!

(Uh, it must be that I had a really, really ugly day at work and I'm on my second martini on an empty stomach. I'll shut up now.)

matt15f said:
reason #473 to buy an ultra over a standard, the firmware updates faster :cool:

Reason to buy a Standard, actually -- the Ultra users do all the beta testing. :lol: But yeah, what Jay said.

Back
Top Bottom