Ultra Firmware Version 9.00 Released

shredi knight said:
So in general, is this a case of having to heavily tweak/ start all over again from scratch with your existing patches, or do they just sound even better now right out of the gate with little or no tweaking (I'm really hoping it's the latter)?

I'm have to make some mild to moderate adjustments to the master volume, drive, and tone controls on some of my patch. Nothing hard or radical though. Univibe patches need a lot of tuning and my verb stuff will eventually need to be redone.

I'm really happy to hear that the amp defaults are now working well, I could tell that the sounds were all in there (it sounded v good already) but I doubted that I could actually find the time to really tweak them to perfection. If Cliff is tweaking these with his FR's then I'm going to be a very happy man :D
This will get a lot more people through the door for the AXE-FX I think.
Now where's that Standard version.... :shock:

what a great update - again :D , in general - all my patches sounded better, without tweaking , i only had an hour to check it out last night , and i was blown away !!!! it keeps getting better and better. thanks cliff for all your hard work !!!!!!!!

Yeah Fractalizers, don't leave us Standards in suspense. Give us a hint when version 9 will be enriching our lives.

Thanks in advance for all your hard work and unbelievable support. This is without a doubt the best supported product of any type that I can ever remember owning. :D

GaryRichie said:
Yeah Fractalizers, don't leave us Standards in suspense. Give us a hint when version 9 will be enriching our lives.

Thanks in advance for all your hard work and unbelievable support. This is without a doubt the best supported product of any type that I can ever remember owning. :D

It can be quite a task for Cliff to squeeze all the new stuff into the standard, considering 8.x standard releases were deployed minutes after the Ultra releases. At least we get 9.1 with some bugs already fixed.

aftec said:
GaryRichie said:

It can be quite a task for Cliff to squeeze all the new stuff into the standard, considering 8.x standard releases were deployed minutes after the Ultra releases. At least we get 9.1 with some bugs already fixed.

As a client of mine used to say, it's like fitting 10lbs of shit into a 8lb bag. ;) :D

I use that marvelous quote too, except I substitute a 5lb bag for the 8lb they used. Makes it more impressive to squeeze in that extra 3lbs. :twisted:

Scott Peterson said:
aftec said:
GaryRichie said:

As a client of mine used to say, it's like fitting 10lbs of shit into a 8lb bag. ;) :D

Mike Snider said:
WOW...just got in from practice- my rig sounds incredible. Updated last night, didn't spend long tweaking-
All i can say is WOW. Everyone was turning their heads and taking notice.
Cliff, this update is something special-
I cant wait to actually play around with it a bit
That's great to hear... I was all jazzed up to go to practice last night and our bass player said he wasn't going to show up, then we couldn't get a hold of our percussionist... so the drummer and I said we'd just wait until our gig on Saturday. Damn!!!! I can't wait!!!!

raz said:
Someday, I have to believe Cliff is going to pump up a firmware update that does absolutely nothing, just to hear all of us rave about how much better everything is. The temptation must be intense for him. :twisted:

I dunno, I think I hear the differences. I think the feel is improved. It really feels terrific, and I was raving about it to my wife. I think I hear what folks are saying about the master control. The rotary control is definitely the closest thing I've heard to the Leslie experience I had with a real - and superb - Leslie (other-effing-worldly if you haven't ever had the pleasure). I won't say the effect with the Axe-FX is the same, but maybe I will when my Reactor FR's arrive on Thursday (God, please!).

I mean, it seems really, really good. But I really wish I had the resources to get two Ultras and two sets of good powered monitors, and compare the two versions side-by-side. I just can't supress the nagging little voice in my head that says, "c'mon, do you REALLY sense a difference?"

Somebody hit me with a guitar. I'm blaspheming.

Damn, this is amaaaaaaazing! It couldn't possibly be any better than this! Cliff will be getting bored now, because you can't improve on perfection!

(Uh, it must be that I had a really, really ugly day at work and I'm on my second martini on an empty stomach. I'll shut up now.)

I like to record some clips so I can make A/B comparisons after the update. I don't trust my aural memory. (I'm a standard user so I haven't had the chance to update to the new firmware yet.)

mtlin said:
raz said:
Someday, I have to believe Cliff is going to pump up a firmware update that does absolutely nothing, just to hear all of us rave about how much better everything is. The temptation must be intense for him. :twisted:

I dunno, I think I hear the differences. I think the feel is improved. It really feels terrific, and I was raving about it to my wife. I think I hear what folks are saying about the master control. The rotary control is definitely the closest thing I've heard to the Leslie experience I had with a real - and superb - Leslie (other-effing-worldly if you haven't ever had the pleasure). I won't say the effect with the Axe-FX is the same, but maybe I will when my Reactor FR's arrive on Thursday (God, please!).

I mean, it seems really, really good. But I really wish I had the resources to get two Ultras and two sets of good powered monitors, and compare the two versions side-by-side. I just can't supress the nagging little voice in my head that says, "c'mon, do you REALLY sense a difference?"

Somebody hit me with a guitar. I'm blaspheming.

Damn, this is amaaaaaaazing! It couldn't possibly be any better than this! Cliff will be getting bored now, because you can't improve on perfection!

(Uh, it must be that I had a really, really ugly day at work and I'm on my second martini on an empty stomach. I'll shut up now.)

I like to record some clips so I can make A/B comparisons after the update. I don't trust my aural memory. (I'm a standard user so I haven't had the chance to update to the new firmware yet.)

Given that the tapers changed tough, it'll be hard to make an accurate comparision.

i'm having to re-do my patches. right before the update i had dialed in a real bright sounding jcm800. after the update it was muddy. amp to cab nothing else in the chain, out to my reference monitors. i couldnt get it to dial out either, this has happend before. it's been a long time since i redid all the stock patches, so i'm starting over.

ymmv.

dpeterson said:
i'm having to re-do my patches. right before the update i had dialed in a real bright sounding jcm800. after the update it was muddy. amp to cab nothing else in the chain, out to my reference monitors. i couldnt get it to dial out either, this has happend before. it's been a long time since i redid all the stock patches, so i'm starting over.

ymmv.

Wow, that's odd. All of my patches seemed more defined in the bottom end :(

fremen said:
Sorry, French noob here, English is not my main language, what is a "taper" ? :oops:

When you move a knob you can have different curves right? It could be linear or logarithmic, anti-log, etc...

You know how the guitar knobs some of them are linear or some of them are "audio taper"? Well with this update, Cliff said the knobs in the amp behave more like audio tapers now. That means that a position in 8.09 does not give the same value internally compared to 9.0

AlbertA said:
Well with this update, Cliff said the knobs in the amp behave more like audio tapers now. That means that a position in 8.09 does not give the same value internally compared to 9.0
I understood it so that previously the tapers were ideal audio tapers (perfect logarithmic curve) and now they are tweaked to behave more like real world audio tapers (the curve is not perfect).

Oh, and thanks for the update Cliff. What we have here is some really good stuff. Keep it coming :D

fremen said:
Sorry, French noob here, English is not my main language, what is a "taper" ? :oops:

This...is a tapir

tapir1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom