Ultra Firmware Version 8.02 Released

Enjoying the new drive and clipping types.

Running 2 drives into each other with the 4558 generates some gooey thick fuzz tones... tons of content to follow with a peak or notch filter.

Very nice indeed.

dk_ace said:
I posted a reply to Shredi's original comment in the other thread, but since the discussion has moved here....

It isn't unusual to have to give a real drive pedal at least a little something from the drive knob for it's output to get where you want it. I would expect you could set it at less than 2 to get the needed boost, but IME that would be pretty true to life performance.

As for using a filter block instead as a clean boost, it most certainly can work like what you're wanting it to. I've been doing it for a long time now. The simplest thing to do is just use a high pass filter instead of a null filter to get rid of the unnecessary bass. You could also make a specific EQ curve if you wanted, but I was always able to get the results I wanted with just the high pass.

My motivation for doing that was a little different. I did it so I could get the sound of the boosted amp and still have two drive blocks available in the patch for more interesting stuff.

D

for those that didn't see Clifs's explanation.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8685&start=30

Snagglefinger said:
Additional weirdness: I go to save a patch and once I hit store, gibberish appears. I clean up the name, hit store again, now it steals part of the name of an adjoining preset. Third time was a charm.
This patch-name issue was a problem with the previous version of the editor.

I hadn't really used the new editor much. I had some problems and didn't have the time to mess with it. One of which was I couldn't save anything from the editor, so the couple presets I did edit with I saved by pressing the store button on the Axe, not with the Axe-Edit. Nevertheless I'm looking forward to seeing what majikul voodoo algorithms Cliff has sprinkled on 8.02.

I havent uploaded 8.02 yet as I have a gig tommorrow night and i like to do with some down time ahead to weed out any issues. So I cant compare but I am on 8.01 and my only issue is the drastic levels in the drive blocks. Ive read and understand why it is what it is.For me I dont like it as i use alot of drive blocks as clean boosts which dont work right now. My Tube drive is super loud and my super-od is super quiet as well as the FET boost. Is 8.02 the same? Reading i think yes. I ask as I know there was trouble in 8.01 and I do plan on uploading 8.02 after this weekend but in the meantime I have to readjust all my drives and if 8.02 adreeses this i may wait. I think it comes down to I use the drive blocks in an unconventional way

Mick

JohnBee said:
I hate to be a pest with this question but here is what I asked in another topic but got no response ( I think a few people have been asking this as well):

"do you have to run "update all presets" if you load the new firmware and upload all the new presets cliff provided?"

I updated the firmware and then loaded all the new presets for version 8.02. I don't have any old presets, I'm just using the latest preset Banks cliff provided. Do I need to hit update all presets? From what I read the answer is no but I'm just checking. I'm afraid I might screw something up if I do and they all sound good right now.

No. It will update the banks automatically when you send the new banks. There's no confirmation either. The best way to know if the new banks went in is to change one preset location per bank on the Axe and then upload the new banks. If the original location is restored, the new bank went in.

MickUF said:
I havent uploaded 8.02 yet as I have a gig tommorrow night and i like to do with some down time ahead to weed out any issues. So I cant compare but I am on 8.01 and my only issue is the drastic levels in the drive blocks. Ive read and understand why it is what it is.For me I dont like it as i use alot of drive blocks as clean boosts which dont work right now. My Tube drive is super loud and my super-od is super quiet as well as the FET boost. Is 8.02 the same? Reading i think yes. I ask as I know there was trouble in 8.01 and I do plan on uploading 8.02 after this weekend but in the meantime I have to readjust all my drives and if 8.02 adreeses this i may wait. I think it comes down to I use the drive blocks in an unconventional way

Mick

nope, not unconventional at all, quite few people (including me) use it that way.. It will just require readjusting levels on the drive blocks but the results are notably better afterwards. The tone shape possibilities are outstanding.

.... next day comment: Exceptional changes on the drive models - for the first time, ever, for me - I might be using some drives. Totally organic and exceedingly useful. They feel so GOOD to use now. Extraordinary.

I had gotten used to being very cautious with the drive block and only using it when I couldn't think of another option. My first impression is that's gonna change! I like this a lot!

Thanks!

I downloaded the new firmware this morning and played with it for a couple of hours and I'm really digging the new drive model too. Nicely done Cliff!!!

Cliff or anyone else.

Im going to give the new firmware a go for a bit but so far respectfully for me Im not a fan of it. If I were to try and go back is simple reloading say 7.18 do the trick? I ask as somtimes going back doesnt always work well. Im gonna try and retweak this week but I find everything so sharp and gritty now in my setup..Im using no amp sims..just Axe/driveblock of choice/delays/ac30. Should i resave my presets on backup then revert..Im trying to come up with the safest best way

Mick

Give it another shot mick. All you have to do is readjust your drive block's drive and level settings to recapture your 7.18 sounds. It really is quite an improvement for me and Im sure in time you'd appreciate it too. What are you gonna do, never update again? Might as well re-tweak now, waiting for later FW could prove more of a challenge. Many times you need to adjust other parameters throughout an older patch to fully realize the benefits an upgrade, same is true here but I only needed to play a little with the new drive's settings to instantly notice an improvement.

Maybe I just have more time on my hands but I always look forward to re-tweaking patches for new FW. I find it rarely takes much effort and they just keep getting better! Cliff = evil genius :ugeek:

Cliff,

Bravo on the new drive blocks! I had really had a hard time getting use out of some of the models, in spite of how bad I really wanted to use them. They were sounding a little "one-dimensional", and no amount of tweaking would work with differing AMP models (i.e. only certain pairs sounded good together). Not anymore. I have one particular analog drive that I have not been able shake from my signal chain, and I think that's all about to change.

Love it!

WOW! Tomorrow I will upgrade from V7.0 to V8.02. I've been a long time axeless and guitarless, and now that i have the opportunity to play again, I can see that there'll be not much room for making music, only messing around with more amazing sounds and tasting the flavour of the new buttons for hours :p

Do you recommend to wear a helmet for the large scale operation?

pic19438.jpg

Thank You Cliff!!

Back
Top Bottom