Tone Match "nasal-y" Issue

Shock410

Inspired
I've been Tone Matching since day one of the release of 6.0 and what I can't seem to understand is this....
Everything that I have tried to Tone Match comes out very "nasaly" to me. I play with the settings and try to get it the best I can....but why is this?
I tone matched Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Little Wing" and when I hit the enter button for the tone match, the tone of the cab sounds great....but this nasaly tone issue has me baffled.
Is this be an issue that can be fixed?

I've been Tone Matching since day one of the release of 6.0 and what I can't seem to understand is this....
Everything that I have tried to Tone Match comes out very "nasaly" to me. I play with the settings and try to get it the best I can....but why is this?
I tone matched Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Little Wing" and when I hit the enter button for the tone match, the tone of the cab sounds great....but this nasaly tone issue has me baffled.
Is this be an issue that can be fixed?

Maybe an phase issue? How do you run your signal chain?

/Mike

Did you make sure that the REF CHANNEL in the T-Match block is not set to stereo. Mono (LEFT or RIGHT) should be the default setting (might be updated in upcoming firmware update). It avoid creation of interference (phase issue) if the reference guitar signal is stereo.

Did you make sure that the REF CHANNEL in the T-Match block is not set to stereo. Mono (LEFT or RIGHT) should be the default setting (might be updated in upcoming firmware update). It avoid creation of interference (phase issue) if the reference guitar signal is stereo.
I do this every time and still get a thin nassly compressed out come.

I would like to know as well. I get a nice reference tone and local tone and all is well but when i hit enter the tone is usually fizzy and nasal. For me i feel the tone is there but can't tweak out the intense fizz.
I have tried left, right , stereo, no cab, cab etc with poor results. Most everyone else's matches sound just fine so it is likely my settings. For now i have given up on the tone match stuff from frustration but i do love several of my own From Scratch Presets.
If anyone cares to chime in and let me now why mine all sound like a Zazoo, I would be thrilled to know.

I would like to know as well. I get a nice reference tone and local tone and all is well but when i hit enter the tone is usually fizzy and nasal. For me i feel the tone is there but can't tweak out the intense fizz.
I have tried left, right , stereo, no cab, cab etc with poor results. Most everyone else's matches sound just fine so it is likely my settings. For now i have given up on the tone match stuff from frustration but i do love several of my own From Scratch Presets.
If anyone cares to chime in and let me now why mine all sound like a Zazoo, I would be thrilled to know.

Describe your signal chain. It's hard to try to debug something if you don't give any data about it. I had great success in tone matching the first time through. I am willing to help, but you need to describe your complete signal chain. Thanks.

At the moment, I'm not sure what my exact signal chain is....
What I can tell you is last night when I TM Stevie Rays "Little Wing", I used a stock preset
Brit 800 in Bank A....
I replaced the cab with the TM block and did the rest the way I usually do. I do need to check that Ref Channel next time....it might have been set to Stereo....not mono.
That's about all I remember at the moment...
I hope this helps.

I always set the input to the TM block as LEFT. Did one in SUM mode and sounded like I was in a boiler!!

I have found that getting the AMP block close helps. I also can switch the AMP model to see if I can find something better. If I do, then I run the matching again. That really fine tunes things for me.

I set my

Amp Block -> Input Select -> LEFT
TMA block -> Ref Channel -> LEFT

I use Pro Tools for my reference input and split stereo references into two mono tracks. Be sure to listen to each mono L / R track separately to determine which one is the best reference. Solo'ed in mono, I often find one of the L or R reference tracks is better sounding.

Richard

Im having the same problem with tone matching, it seems like it is close but there is always either a sizzle or fizz or something else that I just can't get rid of. I have tried to keep it as simple as possible by using just a Amp and Cab block to try to get it to sound as close as possible and then replacing the Cab with the TM. I tried all the recommendations in the other "sizzle" thread but just couldn't get it right. Last night I was trying some Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, and Life of Agony off mp3's. The end result was just OK. Would I benefit if I dropped the mp3 tracks into logic and tried to spice them up? Or would that ruin the original sound?

I set my

Amp Block -> Input Select -> LEFT
TMA block -> Ref Channel -> LEFT

I use Pro Tools for my reference input and split stereo references into two mono tracks. Be sure to listen to each mono L / R track separately to determine which one is the best reference. Solo'ed in mono, I often find one of the L or R reference tracks is better sounding.

Richard

I have not set it up like this, never changed the Amp Block -> Input Select -> Left, only the TM to left. Maybe that is my problem? I also never split the stereo track in Logic. I am not even sure how to do that.

I played my reference track straight out of iTunes and used the TMA block input selection to LEFT. Selected the Reference input as USB. Used the Local input as LEFT also. No problems.

On the sizzle issue, if your reference track has a lot of high end versus your post-cab output, the TMA block will compensate by cranking the highs. If you look at the match waveform, you might see a high end peak on the resultant waveform. You might want to reduce this somewhat with a low pass filter - to taste. I don't have that sizzle issue.

Ok, I'll try that as soon as I get home from work. Do you know if because I am going straight from the Axe to K 12's if I should be using a amp -> cab -> TM or just the TM as my cab?

Is there any obvious I/O settings that could affect it in the way described? Input 1 left only.... Output 1 L/Sum/Copy.... USB through ....

Is there any obvious I/O settings that could affect it in the way described? Input 1 left only.... Output 1 L/Sum/Copy.... USB through ....

Yes.

The easiest thing to check first is listen to your reference in mono before anything else. This will verify that the original reference is not the culprit.

Richard

All depends on many factors even if you got any eq set in your pc sound card. For example intro to Sweet Child o Mine it will sound nearly spot on but when you play riffs it sounds thin... and im pretty sure thats the way Kemper Profiles which makes no option for further alterations.

I'm having the same issue. I tried the amp input left and the reference left as well. Sounds like it's coming through a cheap speaker.

I'll keep trying. My reference signal is coming from media player and I've taken stuff off of Youtube and other internet sources as well.

I have tried the above suggestions running USB from Itunes. Set Itunes EQ flat. I have set local and TMB inputs to left as well with resulting heavy fizz. My tone chain is FAS lead 1 to V30 to TMB. I run stereo out to FRFR Focal monitors. Nothing special here, just a straight signal chain. The result of which are all still fizzy. Someone will figure this out therefore i am not worried! I still love my Axe II but the TMB in my unit sounds like a fly landed in my ear.

I keep pressing "start" on the Y button then match without even pressing stop until I like the sound.

Back
Top Bottom