They All Sound the Same, It's About Workflow

Great...now I have "rock n roll ain't noise pollution" stuck in my head.

Thanks

Beneath, Between, & Behind for me.

Can't tell a difference through computer speakers. Through monitors the first and second ones sound more "hi fi" to me, but the high end on the first is more pleasing. Third one is really muddy when the chord kicks in at the end, and I hear some of that muddiness on the last one to a lesser degree.

I listened really hard. Even the thermal noise sounds the same.
think it is brave of you to post here your opinion as a vendor. would expect the same from other vendors, youtubers etc...who are here!

but to be honest it makes me scratch my head, if you say they are the same....Bonkers! but you are Dr. Bonkers (just kidding)

think it is brave of you to post here your opinion as a vendor. would expect the same from other vendors, youtubers etc...who are here!

but to be honest it makes me scratch my head, if you say they are the same....Bonkers! but you are Dr. Bonkers (just kidding)
I never fear from sticking my head in the lion's mouth. LoL

Truth be told, I listened to it on my cell phone because that's how the kids evaluate most stuff nowadays.

I will listen on my proper monitoring and report back.

it is with the last chord that I can hear the difference, it remains a question of perspective but on my side for the amp I hesitate with 1 and 4 but my preference is 1 4 3 2 ...
I think I agree on preference. That being said, a cranked DR isn't exactly my favorite guitar sound. And, I apparently suck at figuring out which modeler/amp is which even when I can consistently tell whether or not the clips are different, and they definitely do sound different to me. But, I don't know what nuances I should be listening for. The low ends sound different, as do where the reverb tails cut off. Highs are different too. And upper mids. Basically all of the balances are reasonably different. 1 and 4 are probably the closest to me too, but #1 sounds brighter if I skip through them.

Like I said, #2 is quieter, which will affect all of those balance-y things pretty significantly even if the level difference is small. I don't want to comment on the dynamics things I hear without actually bothering to level-match them.

They're not worlds apart to me, at least once you account for the level difference. #2 might still be thinner/flatter, but I'd have to turn it up probably about a dB or so to actually conclude that. If I had to guess, it's not the amp. It might just be a tiny bit more compressed than the others, which would lead me to believe it's a Helix based solely on bias and randomly remembering the couple times I played one and wasn't happy. But, I wouldn't bet on it.

Hi Fractal !

I just pumped these up loud through my Matrix GT 800 and my Celestion F12-X200 Custom Celestion Spec'd Cab and my 40 year old NS 10's.

They all sound very similar - the only difference that jumped out at me was that Clip 3 had more low-mid / low-end oomph - but those are frequencies I would always dial-out anyway.

Other than that, I honestly genuinely struggled to hear anything other than miniscule differences.

Ben

Last edited:
I never fear from sticking my head in the lion's mouth. LoL

Truth be told, I listened to it on my cell phone because that's how the kids evaluate most stuff nowadays.

I will listen on my proper monitoring and report back.
For me listening on iphone and studio monitors made a drastic difference. Did not like the 2nd take on iphone, bashed it down....listened on Neumann KH310, changed my mind a bit, listened on NS10m and changed my mind more. Many here don’t even have the right setup for listening tests like this. Still the 3rd take sucks....where ever you listen:)

Wow, why am I busting my ass making things so accurate when people can't hear how obviously different the first two are?
Perhaps the "Law of Diminishing Returns" is telling you that it's time to devote some of your inestimable talents to some other part of the AxeFX Experience – like maybe the creation of a crazy-good SuperLooper block? ;)

I think it's the 3 different Fractal devices and one amp, and any perceived differences are just that. I'll wager an educated guess that the purpose of the thread is to show that no matter which platform you use, they all sound the same, which is indistinguishable from a real amp, for all intents and purposes. And Cliff's 2nd post is actually tongue-in-cheek, meant to poke fun at those who say they can hear differences, e.g., changes to the sound of something that wasn't actually altered in a FW update, or differences in the 3 units.

I think it's the 3 different Fractal devices and one amp, and any perceived differences are just that. I'll wager an educated guess that the purpose of the thread is to show that no matter which platform you use, they all sound the same, which is indistinguishable from a real amp, for all intents and purposes. And Cliff's 2nd post is actually tongue-in-cheek, meant to poke fun at those who say they can hear differences, e.g., changes to the sound of something that wasn't actually altered in a FW update, or differences in the 3 units.
The title says it all, regarding your workflow. Get the device that best works with your needs.

Why do I feel like this thread is just Cliff trolling all of us? He labels the thread they sound the same, everyone agrees. He says they're obviously different, suddenly people find differences.

Psychology is weird!
Hmm counting 4-5 comments and calling it “everyone” is also statistically and mathematically pretty weird! Your statement is far far from being correct.

Hmm counting 4-5 comments and calling it “everyone” is also statistically and mathematically pretty weird! Your statement is far far from being correct.
100% of the sample size of comments before Cliff's second comment mentioning the sound of each amp couldn't tell a difference. I'd call that everyone!

Either way, just tongue in cheek humor.

Without having read the other responses: First and last are very close so I’m going to say one of those two is the amp, the other is fractal. 3rd had a ton more low end, like dramatically more, 2nd one has an annoying breakup character in the top end that reminds me of helix but could be any modeler with poor aliasing performance.

For me the difference between the units is most obvious while playing the actual units. After 4 years on helix, the first time I plugged into the AX3 the difference in feel and high end clarity was obvious. I’m able to dial in similar sounding tones on both but when I reamp the same dry guitar through native and my AX3 the AX3 wins every time. I hate this expression but it just fits in the mix better, especially when stacking layers of guitars which exacerbates any issues with the modeling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom