They All Sound the Same, It's About Workflow

My guess is 3 being the amp. 2 sounds thin in comparison. 1 and 4 are totally passable though I think I prefer 4.

Alright, so for you goldfish brains like me who need to hear things a bit more sequentially, I've chopped up the first and last third of the four sources and put them back-to-back. I did reorganize them as well, to reset ourselves and to shake the confirmation bias. The differences are more obvious to me with the subsections set back-to-back.

Here is the track - SoundCloud.

Listening to the clip on my CLR's, I'd say takes #1 and #4 are the real amp and, presumably, a Fractal modeler (which is which I can't absolutely differentiate), with #2 and #3 modelers as well.

#1 and #4 sound very close, with #1 sounding slightly less compressed/dark vs #4, but I can't say which is the real amp/modeler (if I even got this right heh).

I like either clip, and not a fan of #2 and #3; both definitely sound inferior IMO to either #1 and #4.

Curious to see the 'reveal'....

There's a certain bass push/fullness when the chord rings out at the end in sample clip ONE that reminds me of Fractal... Just that alone, that sort of rubbery, chewy 3D fullness with certain harmonics tells me thats Fractal. That's the magic and feel you don't get with the other modelers IMO. I honestly don't think it's that subtle either once you really know what to listen for and feel.

1 sounds like an amp with the texture and frequencies all present. 4 sounds close but a little top end texture missing. 2 and 3 seem to round the distortion and don't retain the high and low frequency texture that an amp has.

Wow, why am I busting my ass making things so accurate when people can't hear how obviously different the first two are?
I think their opinion is biased by the fact that they couldn't tell you were being sarcastic in the thread title.

I immediately could tell the first two were different and my reaction was "what the hell Cliff, you're on crack". Then immediately felt dumb because I realized you were being sarcastic (ie: "tHeY aLl SoUnD tHe SaMe, It'S aBoUt WoRkFlOw")

After listening 10-12 times more i changed my mind a bit, but i am leaving my first post still.

1st and 2nd are close making me think one of them is the amp the other is the Axe FX. (and even though Cliff askes how we can't tell the first 2 apart, i will still leave this here :)

In my first post i complained about the harmonics of 2nd take but either my ears got tired or else but now i find it the richest or most interesting one harmonics wise.

3rd is bad, low end rumble, no dynamics, and it is also quiter than the others (clearly which is maybe not fair to judge it this way)

4rd is not that bad either but lifeless compared to first two.

as i wrote in my 1st post: if the modelling is that accurate and which i do beliebe it is...than even Cliff should not be able to say which is Axe which is Amp (if the amp is recorded correctly and same impulse is used)

add on: took a long break, listened couple of times again and...changed my mind again some. 1 is the best than 4, 2 sucks, 3 has less volume, less dynamics and sound lifeless compared to 1 and 4.

Last edited:
it is with the last chord that I can hear the difference, it remains a question of perspective but on my side for the amp I hesitate with 1 and 4 but my preference is 1 4 3 2 ...

Back
Top Bottom