Then vs Than!!

pat6969

Inspired
Just thought I'd give a little grammar lesson because these two are used incorrectly on a regular basis. Thanks and have a nice day.

Than vs. then
Then is mainly an adverb, often used to situate actions in time. For example, you wake up in the morning and then have breakfast. It’s also used in if … then constructions such as, “If you wake late, then you might have to skip breakfast.” It also works as a noun meaning that time (e.g., “I wanted breakfast, but then was not a good time”) and as an adjective meaning at that time (e.g., “My then boyfriend was not an early riser”).

Than is a conjunction used mainly in making comparisons—e.g., “My breakfast is better than yours”; “I make breakfast differently than you do.”

To help distinguish between the two words, remember that than has no one-word synonyms. It is a one-of-a-kind word. To illustrate, try thinking of a single word to replace than in My breakfast is better than yours.” There isn’t one. Then, in contrast, has many synonyms and often bears replacement with an equivalent word or phrase. For instance, “I woke up and then had breakfast” can become “I woke up and subsequently had breakfast.” The exception is in if … then constructions, where the then is usually required. But for these situations, just remember that then, not than, is the correct spelling of the word often paired with if.

Good 'segway' ;-) into lesson 2: The difference between There, Their and They're?

A+ for you, lesson 2 complete. You get the first gold star for passing the test.:) Stay tuned for future lessons, or I might go practice guitar.

Good grammar is like a whole nother world in the internet age!

Irregardless, we should all try to take off our hats to those who use it.

lol

Good grammar is like a whole nother world in the internet age!

Irregardless, we should all try to take off our hats to those who use it.

lol

No hats off needed. I take my hat off when I'm at the dinner table, when I sleep, and maybe if someone rips a killer guitar solo. Let's not confuse bad grammar with bad spelling!:)

..... To the current Internet Generation grammar, spelling, and punctuation are foreign concepts and 100% irrelevant ...... (sigh!)

It's like safely removing your USB. Life's too short for that.... or should I say: "Lives to short four than".

I'm not sure if you guys run into this but people in countries like the one I'm from like to use English titles on Facebook although they speak a different language.. I guess it's more epic or something I have no idea. Maybe because they don't know the language or something? Anyways they use 4-6 word sentences and they ALWAYS make a mistake. Always.

Let me find an example for you guys: "This little dude R-O-C-K !" ... yes... this dude rock. *facepalm*

Back
Top Bottom