Then vs Than!!

A, much BIGGER PROBLEM is, PRONOUNS IMPROPER USE. I know my grammar is not perfect, however the wrong use of he/she vs him/her, and more often I/ME. This kills me. In fact it often seems people with lower education (housewives of OC , Kardashians) and possibly 'higher means' try to put 'I' in every sentence. I hear this often even from newscasters et al.

Do not say "i" for "me" just to 'sound correct'. 'susan was talking to Joan and I about that' arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg.

Ya cain't stop the evolution of language. It's just happening a lot faster now than in past ages...

This is my understanding: You invite me to your house to watch tv. I like to drink beer when I watch tv so I BRING beer with me... the point of the visit is watching tv.. not drinking beer.

You are watching tv and realize you are out of beer and don't have a car. You call me and ask me to buy you some. I then TAKE you beer.... the point of the visit is you getting beer.

It depends on the original reason for arriving at a destination. Or maybe I'm wrong?
It's not about the main purpose of the visit. It's about the direction of cartage.

You take beer to where you're going. You bring beer back to where you are. You take beer to your friend, because he wants you to bring him some.

Just thought I'd give a little grammar lesson because these two are used incorrectly on a regular basis. Thanks and have a nice day.

Than vs. then
Then is mainly an adverb, often used to situate actions in time. For example, you wake up in the morning and then have breakfast. It’s also used in if … then constructions such as, “If you wake late, then you might have to skip breakfast.” It also works as a noun meaning that time (e.g., “I wanted breakfast, but then was not a good time”) and as an adjective meaning at that time (e.g., “My then boyfriend was not an early riser”).

Than is a conjunction used mainly in making comparisons—e.g., “My breakfast is better than yours”; “I make breakfast differently than you do.”

To help distinguish between the two words, remember that than has no one-word synonyms. It is a one-of-a-kind word. To illustrate, try thinking of a single word to replace than in My breakfast is better than yours.” There isn’t one. Then, in contrast, has many synonyms and often bears replacement with an equivalent word or phrase. For instance, “I woke up and then had breakfast” can become “I woke up and subsequently had breakfast.” The exception is in if … then constructions, where the then is usually required. But for these situations, just remember that then, not than, is the correct spelling of the word often paired with if.

Some of us have Dyslexia, so your Grammar lesson is useless. Maybe I should give you a Dyslexia lesson, seems you need one.

Oh that's true actually. Education... if you've ever read a book in English you shouldn't have problems with these. Are we crossing that 2016 line where we should stop talking before someone hurts her/his feelings?

So someone with Dyslexia shouldn't have problems with Grammar because they read English? Since you asked if you personally should stop talking about it, let me help you figure it out since you're lacking in the "moral compass to figure it out"

You should stop talking about it because some people who are members of this forum can't help it and it makes you look like an ignorant fool on this topic. "You and I have talked on several occasions on this forum and I've posted in many of your threads over the years on this forum and you liked some of my posts in those threads so I know you can read, so you seen my signature and you are that ignorant to talk about grammar eh?

That is why you should stop talking about it, because you're trying to sound like you know something and you don't. Spreading misinformation when called out on it will turn you from not knowing to being an jerk, need any more reasons to stop talking about it?

Huh? I don't get that one. Is the problem with the "bring it" or the "with me"?

I can ask you to bring something to me. You can then take it to me....

"Can I bring my guitar to you so you can set it up for me" is not proper English.....

"Bring" vs "take" is especially frustrating because it's a rule that exists fit its own sake. Like conjugation, it adds complexity without adding value.

So someone with Dyslexia shouldn't have problems with Grammar because they read English? Since you asked if you personally should stop talking about it, let me help you figure it out since you're lacking in the "moral compass to figure it out"

You should stop talking about it because some people who are members of this forum can't help it and it makes you look like an ignorant fool on this topic. "You and I have talked on several occasions on this forum and I've posted in many of your threads over the years on this forum and you liked some of my posts in those threads so I know you can read, so you seen my signature and you are that ignorant to talk about grammar eh?

That is why you should stop talking about it, because you're trying to sound like you know something and you don't. Spreading misinformation when called out on it will turn you from not knowing to being an jerk, need any more reasons to stop talking about it?
I'm not sure if you noticed the irony or sarcasm that this thread is all about but I'm sure none of it was an attack towards you.

What did I write in the post you quoted?
Are we crossing that 2016 line where we should stop talking before someone hurts her/his feelings?

Sorry but no one has offended dyslexia in this thread. You made that assumption.

The one that fries my brain is "based off of". When something is based upon some other thing, then that thing is its base. If it's based off of (i.e. not based on) then that thing is not its base. So why even mention it?

Some Guy: "My patch is based off of the fremen plexi."

Me: "Well, ok, what is it based on then?"

I find that if I want to mess people up reel bad that I will choose to omit using punctuations and right a hole bunches of run on sentence that dont haves any reel stop and startings points like for when people cant ever tell when it is that one idea ends up than the others ones starting so its just a big jumble of word when their confused up reel bad its like they look at them words and be like I cant reed any single words that your trying to say

Challenge: find all the grammar mistakes!

These four really bug the crap out of me.

Would of, could of, should of and might of.

It's would've, could've, should've and might've people. They're contractions of the words would have, could have, should have and might have.

Rant over.

Back
Top Bottom