The new MATRIX GT800FX. THE amp for THE Axe-Fx

Hi friends!

Currently, I'm using a Rocktron velocity valve .... anyone has compared these two units? Matrix vs velocity tube valve power amp ...?...i'm very happy with te rocktron...but i wanna switch to a decent ss solution.....

I own both , I really love the velocity valve a lot , I don't want to sell it , because it's really unique and rare ... however since I put the rocktron in a 2U SKB , the axe with the GT800FX and a power supply in a 4U SKB , I never bothered taking the 2U with me at rehearsals or gigs ... I love how the rocktron sounds , really really punchy , the axe sound clearer through the matrix , I dunno how to explain but it just sounds more defined , the punch is still there but not as warm and round. I didn't bother trying to solve this with EQ yet. It sounds stupid but the weigt of the Rocktron made me switch to a 2U separated from the Axe with the lightweight matrix. But the matrix keeps up with the rocktron , it sounds more accurate ...

I know struggle wether I should sell the Rocktron , I don't want to but I don't need it , get the picture ;-)

I'm really happy with the size, weight and MASSIVE sound I get from the Axe-Matrix combination

Raf

I just received my Matrix a couple of days ago but I haven't had a proper chance to test it out with my Atomic passive cab. I had practice yesterday and ran it through my Mesa 2x12 and it sounded killer but I had to crank the level of the Matrix way up to keep up with my other guitarist - nearly maxed. I'm sure I have some tweaking to do to remedy this but work has been incredibly demanding lately. I'm hoping to have a full report for you and anyone else who may be interested by the end of this weekend - but we'll see what happens.

I had to get all the levels up from the axe too , for now when rehearsing (metal with a kick ass loud double bass drummer) I set the axe about 1 o clock , same as the matrix. In this case I can feed the matrix with the axe with enough to play around with.

Raf

Dont forget, you levels arnt only determined form the matrix and Axe front panel knobs. It also depends on the gain structure in your patches, EQ boosts/cuts, and the gain in the global out too.

The key is the signal light on the Matrix. It lights at around 50W into 4 Ohms, 30W into 8 ohms and 20ish into 16 Ohms. There is a lot of umph in there.

Also - if you want some roundnes/warmth back - its because youve gone from valve to SS. you can EQ it - but try lowering the B+ value in the advanced amp parameters by a point (from4.66 to 3.66 say), and raise your sag a little. That should do it.

Rack'd GT800FX:

rackfront.jpg

rackrear.jpg

rackside.jpg

Dont forget, you levels arnt only determined form the matrix and Axe front panel knobs. It also depends on the gain structure in your patches, EQ boosts/cuts, and the gain in the global out too.

The key is the signal light on the Matrix. It lights at around 50W into 4 Ohms, 30W into 8 ohms and 20ish into 16 Ohms. There is a lot of umph in there.

Also - if you want some roundnes/warmth back - its because youve gone from valve to SS. you can EQ it - but try lowering the B+ value in the advanced amp parameters by a point (from4.66 to 3.66 say), and raise your sag a little. That should do it.

I'll try these things , but honnestly haven't tweaked a lot with the axe yet ... I need a laptop at rehearsal and someone who plays while I tweak.

In my current settings , and I play really loud , the output leds don't really blink ... I think I should play extremely loud for this to happen , any ideas ?

Thx

Alexander's lightweight solution looks finished but for most it looks nice. Congrats.
Now it is waiting for the updated patches based on the Matrix/EVM combo. :p

Cheers

EVMs are being exchanged for 8ohm versions. :).

Used my K12 for acoustic gig yesterday.
One of the reasons I'm keeping it for.

EVMs are being exchanged for 8ohm versions. :).

Used my K12 for acoustic gig yesterday.
One of the reasons I'm keeping it for.

Great to hear the exchange! This means you will have your power back. Dirk of TT-cabs knows his stuff and supports his customers. Good to know! He also helped me tuning my smaller TT-cabs for the EVM12L. They are now breaking in as we speak with music. Very nice warm punchy sound.

So this is how you use your gear:
- K12 for clean, jazz, acoustic
- GT800FX/EVM12L for blues, rock, prog, metal

Indeed. Well, strike jazz. :)

BTW, Dirk says the EVMs don't really need breaking in....

Indeed. Well, strike jazz. :)

BTW, Dirk says the EVMs don't really need breaking in....

Straight up how happy are you with your set up and most importantly sound..do you get the feeling..I wish I had this set up from the beginning?

My paypal request for the GT has just come in and i just have those last minute nerves!! :)

Straight up how happy are you with your set up and most importantly sound..do you get the feeling..I wish I had this set up from the beginning?

My paypal request for the GT has just come in and i just have those last minute nerves!! :)

Mark,
There is no reason to hesitate. You will, repeat WILL, enjoy this amp. On the other hand if it does not feel right then dont do it.

Live is so simple;)

Regards

I've just asked the same question of Dirk and got the same reply.

Correct,

Dirk told me the same. But some breaking is needed though. I am just in the midle of this proces and I can confirm Smilefan's experience that after breaking in they sound warmer and less harsh.

The beaty of this driver that with my ART EQ I can let it sound as a PA. So the EV just kicked the Beyma's 12GA50 on the for sale list?

Regards

Hey all! I just ordered the matrix based off all the stellar remarks here and plan on using it with my Ultra into a 212 Mesa Boogie 8ohm cab. I was using a Velocity 300 and it sounded great, but the weight was killing me and that sucker really heated up. Anyways, once I receive the Matrix I'll post a review.

Hey all! I just ordered the matrix based off all the stellar remarks here and plan on using it with my Ultra into a 212 Mesa Boogie 8ohm cab. I was using a Velocity 300 and it sounded great, but the weight was killing me and that sucker really heated up. Anyways, once I receive the Matrix I'll post a review.

A warm welcome to the club of Matrix owners. Please post that review here and on other forums. Spread the news cause never ever in history a SS-amp came this close to a tube amp and for some of us it even sounds better then tubes.

We are in the midle of a historic event where tubes are not needed for juicy fat tube sound.

Regards

From my point of view, this is the amp I wish I had from the begining, none of the Pro-Audio amp fiasco, no heart attacks from Stewart Audio amps going bang and less money wasted re-tubing my Peavey 50/50. I think the amount of people who are now concentrating on which speakers to pair with the amp speaks highly. Kind of like "just the final piece of the jigsaw to find" as the amp is now sorted. As Dada said, if you're doubting then hang on a little while. Matrix aren't going anywhere except forward.

Mark,
There is no reason to hesitate. You will, repeat WILL, enjoy this amp. On the other hand if it does not feel right then dont do it.

Live is so simple;)

Regards

From my point of view, this is the amp I wish I had from the begining, none of the Pro-Audio amp fiasco, no heart attacks from Stewart Audio amps going bang and less money wasted re-tubing my Peavey 50/50. I think the amount of people who are now concentrating on which speakers to pair with the amp speaks highly. Kind of like "just the final piece of the jigsaw to find" as the amp is now sorted. As Dada said, if you're doubting then hang on a little while. Matrix aren't going anywhere except forward.

Thanks guys!! :)

Bought and paid for.

Now to sell my AC15 and decide on what cab!!

Thanks guys!! :)

Bought and paid for.

Now to sell my AC15 and decide on what cab!!

Congrats and welcome to the family. You will be the second Irishman infected with the Matrix syndrom :).

Our recent conversation here just remind of the red/blue pill scene of the movie. The question is.... did you just took the right pil?? ( joking)

Have fun and enjoy!

Regards

Congrats and welcome to the family. You will be the second Irishman infected with the Matrix syndrom :).

Our recent conversation here just remind of the red/blue pill scene of the movie. The question is.... did you just took the right pil?? ( joking)

Have fun and enjoy!

Regards

Any idea of the price range for the TT 1x12 cabs with the EVM's?

Back
Top Bottom