The new MATRIX GT800FX. THE amp for THE Axe-Fx

Asphyx74 and Dimebug,

Great you've enjoyed following the white rabbit. I just have ordered the EVM12L's myself and waved the FRFR route cab wise goodbye.
Glad I have my balls back in my sound!

Cheers

I must admit I've been fairly happy with FRFR now the Beyma coaxial (12XC30) has settled in but yesterday I dusted off the old 5150 cabinets and thought I'd give the Matrix a run at 16ohms for a change just Axe, Matrix and cabs, amp sims on but no cab sims. Well spank my ass and call me charlie!! It was like the scene from Back to the Future! Some serious dust got shaken off the light fittings!! If it wasn't for the fact they weigh a ton each, I'd save the money on FRFR systems a just buy a van to transport the cabs round instead!! I had my doubts whether the Matrix could perform at 16ohms with standard cabs but not now. Plenty loud enough and a shed load left on the axe if needed. Nice to know that the Matrix kicks ass whether FRFR or standard cabs!! Still a very happy bunny!!

Sold my velocity today and ordered a gt800fx :) it is send to me as soon as the paypal payment is received.
Hope that thing rocks. If not I will find you DADA ;-)

Cheers
PhillAnselmo

Ive been happy with my v30/G12h mix for years - and have tried many FRFR options in the 3 years ive had the Axe. TBH Ive never liked them. they SOUND good yeh - and the versatility is obvious, but they just dint FEEL right. AsI only mic up in around 5-10% of gigs, traditional cabs are my preference. i do go direct when we mic, but I can either use my cheap wedge or my cab to monitor. Both have pres and cons in that setting.

i have however been REALLY tempted with a couple of EVM12Ls. There just so damn pricey :( AND theres the AFX2 to pay for.

ive actually looked at Hayden speakers. last time I spoke to them - which admitedly was a year ago - they were developing a UK made "copy" of the EVs that would retail around the £40-£50 mark. There other speakers are at least as good as Celestions so I may have to give them a call.

Sold my velocity today and ordered a gt800fx :) it is send to me as soon as the paypal payment is received.
Hope that thing rocks. If not I will find you DADA ;-)

Cheers
PhillAnselmo

:lol like this. Well Phill if you do not like this you can come over to smack me in the face, no problem. But if you like it you also have to come over to be smacked in your face ;-) Deal? :mrgreen

Do not worry you will like this amp. And we prob will just have a good laugh under the joy of 2 pints of lager.

Welcome in the ever growing GT800FX family!

Paul,

Just buy the real deal and postpone your axefx2. With the axefx you have, the matrix and the evm's, their is really no reason to upgrade. But watch your back cause these EVM's are quite heavey.

Cheers

I can aswell recommend the tt cabs and besides the evm's I can recommend the jensen tornado speaker. Which is a good allround speaker and very lightweight (2 kg). The tornado sounds like a tamed v30 and is better suited for clean sounds than a v30.

Cheers
Phill

Last edited:
I must admit I've been fairly happy with FRFR now the Beyma coaxial (12XC30) has settled in but yesterday I dusted off the old 5150 cabinets and thought I'd give the Matrix a run at 16ohms for a change just Axe, Matrix and cabs, amp sims on but no cab sims. Well spank my ass and call me charlie!! It was like the scene from Back to the Future! Some serious dust got shaken off the light fittings!! If it wasn't for the fact they weigh a ton each, I'd save the money on FRFR systems a just buy a van to transport the cabs round instead!! I had my doubts whether the Matrix could perform at 16ohms with standard cabs but not now. Plenty loud enough and a shed load left on the axe if needed. Nice to know that the Matrix kicks ass whether FRFR or standard cabs!! Still a very happy bunny!!

My Matrix GT800FX just shipped yesterday and I am giddy with excitment over it. I'm hoping it will sound better through my Atomic Reactor passive cab because I cannot seem to get a decent sound out of my current setup. I am very much a noob when it comes to FRFR so I'm sure it's an error on my part or that my ears aren't adjusted yet...but it has been pretty disheartening since my expectations were pretty high. I am currently running my Ultra through a Peavey Classic 50/50 to a Mesa 2x12 recto cab and also an Orange PPC412 whilst at home. So far the FRFR cab cannot come close (to my ears) to either of them. Do you have any recommendations or tips? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Awesome is it not!

If it is FRFR or EVM12L's you want to punish, the GT800FX does the job. So when you fed up with FRFR noodling and want your oldschool cab balls back you can switch and visa versa. TMHO Simple the best amp in the market today which has a stellar sound quality performance.

Wright your reviews and spread the word you tube sinners! Andy and Matt from Matrix amplification deserve this.

Cheers and get that smile on your face!

Last edited:
Various things are pushing me towards returning to a backline setup instead of using a stage monitor. Would I notice much difference between the GT800FX and a Fryette (VHT) 2/90/2? (Cab is a semi-open back 2x12 with V30s.)

Last edited:
Various things are pushing me towards returning to a backline setup instead of using a stage monitor. Would I notice much difference between the GT800FX and a Fryette (VHT) 2/90/2? (Cab is a semi-open back 2x12 with V30s.)

In a live setting you would notice almost no difference at all. In absolute terms the Matrix is slightly tighter, stiffer, and more precise. The VHT is warmer, fatter, less precise. The difference is slight, and they can be EQ'd at the Axe to imitate eachother very closely. The difference is close enough that I sold my 2/90/2 and am now enjoying my new GT800.

Great. I used to have a 2/50/2 and I thought the weight of that in my rack was ridiculous. I've been considering getting another tube power amp (Fryette or Mesa). Thanks goodness I don't have to. I guess I'll be putting an order in for a GT800FX.

Great. I used to have a 2/50/2 and I thought the weight of that in my rack was ridiculous. I've been considering getting another tube power amp (Fryette or Mesa). Thanks goodness I don't have to. I guess I'll be putting an order in for a GT800FX.

The weight relief of the Matrix is mindblowing for tube amp users like me. I had a 3 space plastic "Tuff Rack" flight case built that weighs about 4 pounds, the Matrix weighs 8 pounds (!), and the Axe weighs (?) about 5 pounds. A 3 space rig that I can sling over my shoulder and still play giant outdoor gigs with. Unheard of.

GT800FX w/ Orange PPC412

Is it safe to use the GT800FX in bridged mode with an Orange PPC412 which is rated at 240W RMS at 16 ohms? I read the manual and it said that I need custom cables in order to use bridged mode? Help please...

Still no FRFR speaker for me, the 2x12 I bought is still in France… In fact I'm going to Paris, there I'll take out the two Eminence speakers and will put them in my luggage, ahah. Someone else will bring the cab back to Mauritius

Is it safe to use the GT800FX in bridged mode with an Orange PPC412 which is rated at 240W RMS at 16 ohms? I read the manual and it said that I need custom cables in order to use bridged mode? Help please...

KevHo,
Best advice I can give you is to send Matt from Matrix an email with your question.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom