The new MATRIX GT800FX. THE amp for THE Axe-Fx

"I am just translating the post from PhilAnselmo."

"There were some questions here from users about the little pop. And some new customers had a question about the fan noise. Apparantly they decided to improve this for their next batch of amps. So the already silent GT800FX is now even more silent and plopless. And if this makes new cystomers more happy why not?"

Sorry, still unclear as to who stated the above? You, Philanselmo or Matrix??

Last edited:
It looks like Phil has received word from Matt at Matrix that they've possibly improved (lowered) the fan noise (which wasn't overly noisy) and addressed the concern regarding the startup plop/pop/poop with this new batch of amps coming through. :)

How do you mean? My GT800fx is not plopless nor silent. So are you referring to future modifications of the Matrix GT800FX? Please clarify.

Looking at the bolded part of DADA's post below, it would appear he is referring to future units.

There were some questions here from users about the little pop. And some new customers had a question about the fan noise. Apparantly they decided to improve this for their next batch of amps. So the already silent GT800FX is now even more silent and plopless. And if this makes new cystomers more happy why not?

Cheers guys. It's just still unclear to me what he meant as to - "I am just translating the post from PhilAnselmo", since I can find no trace of that post anywhere :(
Do I presume that recent Matrix GT800FX purchasers like ourselves will be entitled to any upgrade/ modification? It's great news if that is the case re; improvement to the fan and clack sound on startup because those minor details aside, I'm really happy with the amp :)

Do you have the cab you wanted to go with it yet? I would be interested in hearing a proper run through and opinion when you get it all together! :)

Yep. doing anything tomorrow? Dada and I are gonna test his GT with the Evms.
In Nieuwveen, 15.00.

In Nieuwveen, 15.00.

Ill be there in spirit at least!! :D It would be good to hear your thoughts and comparisons to what you have already tried..i keep coming back to this page then thinking VHT..you know how it goes..

In Nieuwveen, 15.00.

You are gonna like it. Claxor and I both appreciated the EVM's impressive clarity, while still responding like a guitar speaker. If you do testing with the cab sims, try your Ownhammers or Red Wirez. The stock Gen I IR's didn't sound too impressive in our tests.

You are gonna like it. Claxor and I both appreciated the EVM's impressive clarity, while still responding like a guitar speaker. If you do testing with the cab sims, try your Ownhammers or Red Wirez. The stock Gen I IR's didn't sound too impressive in our tests.

Everyone has different tastes, but one bit of advice I would give: try the EVM without cab sims as well. I really felt it sounded better than any of the cab sims/mics in my Ultra paired with the EVM guitar speakers) If you like a bit of coloring to your tone then cab sims with the EVM may make you happy. For me, I like a very direct tone, and I felt the clarity of the EVM without any cab sims was far more direct. For me, the EVM is a guitar cab and not at all FRFR sounding. YMMV.

Will do. I already settled on the TC30-1 IRs with my current FR setup. Those are the ones I'll try first with the EVMs.

And even if I come to the conclusion that cab sims won't work with the EVMs, I won't mind using the EVMS just by themselves.

My cab is 160 watt at 8ohm (bridged). So basically at lot of guys are running the gt800fx in stereo mode with just one channel? Probably it's not that much of overkill :) when the amp is driven that way. I thought of running it in bridged mode.
Matt said that they have worked on the fan noise and pop at startup. Has somebody received an amp with this modifications?

My last two post are based on this part of PhilAnselmo his post.

There were some questions here from users about the little pop. And some new customers had a question about the fan noise. Apparantly they decided to improve this for their next batch of amps. So the already silent GT800FX is now even more silent and plopless. And if this makes new cystomers more happy why not?

Not having any other information it is for a reason I used the word APPARANTLY.

So Bufon63, I hope i cleared this misunderstanding by quoting and explaining the source and my reaction.

I can not make it more exiting than this, sorry :D

Regards

Ill be there in spirit at least!! :D It would be good to hear your thoughts and comparisons to what you have already tried..i keep coming back to this page then thinking VHT..you know how it goes..

Mark, I know one GT800FX is in Belfast. Just hook up with Paulmapp and you could easely do a comparison with the GT and the VHT yourself (if of course Paul did not sold his VHT and would welcome you)

Deciding after hearing is ALWAYS better then reading anyone his opinion.

An afternoon with Yek testing the GT800FX / EVM12L Combo

Have to post it here also

We had lots of fun trying the different speaker solutions and IR's.

What realy amazed me with the GT800FX/EVM12L combo was the sound of some stock presets with the original IR with mic of. Spot on full warm and a massive sound.
So at last I found the fundamentals for a real nice fat juicy sound like all the tube gear out there. Axe-Fx/GT800FX/EVM12L that is it.

When you strum your guitar with this setup you REALLY strum your guitar and move an old school lot of air. The balls and the soul of the sound are back. This was what I missed from all fancy and some expensive FRFR I have heard and tested. And I tested a lot of this FRFR stuff "convinced" by some die hard believers here it was necessary.

No offence but although these FRFR solutions sound good and really wonderfull and Full and Flat they produce a hifi sound without any charactar, soul and balls.

So for me the Beyma's will leave the building and I am gonna order some EVM12L's. Do some calculations for eventual holes in my smaller TT-cabs and mount the suckers in.

Facit: The choise between passive FRFR and old school cabs is like the choise between hearing the whole flat freq response in hifi quality or just a part of the freq but with fat juicy balls, soul and character.

So will I trade the full freq range for balls, soul and character? The answer is simple: yesssssss I will because it is a really awesome combination.

Cheers and thanks to all die hard EVM12L believers and especially Smilefan.

Last edited:
Maybe this has been asked here before, if so, sorry! But I have to admit I'm too lazy to search through this long thread for this.

What I'd like to know, is the GT800FX a good poweramp if I want to use my rack as a guitar player into a guitar cab PLUS if I want to use it as a bass guitar player into a bass cab? I mean, it has a lot of output power, so that shouldn't be a problem. But is this possible / does this make sense?

This would be very cool, because then I'd only have to buy a bass cab and be fully equipped to be a bass player as well (I already have a bass guitar)

Army,

Well i did not mentioned it a lot here on the forum butt our Bass player swapped his bassamp for a GT800FX. Does he like it? Yes! Does it perform for this usage? Yes!
So yes indeed you can use the GT800FX for guitar and bass amplification.

Now the cabinet. As you can read Yek and I have been testing the EVM12L this afternoon. I even brought my Ibanez RGD 7 string to test the lows of Yeks new TT-cabs with the EVM12L's in it. And I can tell you this cab has no, I repeat, NO problems with the low bass frequencies. No farting no trmbling no resonance no nothing but a clear bass sound.

So get in contact with TT-cabs and talk to Dirk. Why? Because I think it is also possible to play your bass through these TT-cabs.

Regards

I may be interested in those BEYMAs, if you can send them quickly to Paris, I'll be there for a few days as from the 18 June. But first, I must check these EVM12L's specs online ;)

Fremen,

Looking to specs is a bit waist of time. As Yek stated the difference between the FRFR solutions and the TT-cabs with EVM12L is hard to describe altough I'd tried in the above post. You can not record it either its is a huge feel difference where the old school balls of rock Returns in your guitar sound.

For the Beyma's. Just do a google search in Spain. You can get them there for 56 Euro or something. So not worth the hassle getting them to Paris (was their last weekend BTW). I will probably keep mine for other experiments and PA usage.

Have fun and have a banana:mrgreen

DADA, very interesting, thanks for your answer! This thing with one cab for guitar and bass might be a little harder than you think ;) The bass player in my band plays through a EBS cab and this sound is just insane, there's NO way a guitar cab can sound like this. If you heard such a sound, you don't want to have something else ;) But you are right, it could be a very practical solution and since I'd go directly into the FOH when gigging I think this might be enough and better for my financial situation :D

This whole thing is just an idea, right now I play through an Engl poweramp and I'm pretty happy with the sound. If I had known about the GT800FX a little earlier I might have bought that, but there's always the possibility to sell the Engl poweramp again in case I'll start playing bass in a band.

Just wanted to let you know that my first gig with the GT800FX rocked.
Played a festival in Hungary. They only had a Marshall 1960A cab. I'm not a big friend of this cab, sounds too fizzy for me.
No prob, though. Set up my rig which took me about 30 sec. Then I dialed in a bit more bass in my rhythm sound and less treble - took me another 20 sec.
Done! Sound was amazing and the only thing I had to do was waiting for the other guys... :)

received mine and tested it in a 2X12 Bogner oversized Closed Back Cab with V30. I'm coming from a 6L6 VHT 2x50 Black Beauty.

More precision, more highs, the set up now claim for better speakers, at least more neutral. I will need to tweak a little bit my presets to adapt them, but it's clearly the best SS poweramp i've tried, no huge EQing needed. The Matrix seems definitively a good choice. With it, you can take all the advantages of the tweaking option of the Axe FX.

Back
Top Bottom