The new MATRIX GT800FX. THE amp for THE Axe-Fx

Will there be any possibility of getting the "GT" treatment to some of the other higher watt models? Actually I already use speakon jacks so I guess the only alteration I would need is the input sensativity modification unless I overlooked some other difference.

Contact Matt of Matrix amplification. They are very very helpfull. Email might take some longer because they are a small company and are quite busy these days. But still top notch service.

Regards

Do you have any update?
I didn't hear nothing after the pre-order.

They neither replied to a question via e-mail.

Sorry to hear that.

Just had email contact with Matrix and the finishing of some of the amps is delayed due to a delayed delivery of one component. Secondly they are waiting for new packaging for saver international postage. They are doing their best to answer all the emails the next couple of days. I adviced Matrix to publish an update on their website.

So some of us have to wait some extra weeks. Patience is needed.

Update: Status update on their website and manual of the GT800FX

Last edited:
So I notice that the Input Sensitivity spec for the GT800FX is .775v just like my Bryston 2B-LP.
What is the Input Sensitivity of the XT800 and why would they be making that amp with a different Input Sensitivity?
I notice that many of QSC's power amps have an Input Sensitivity that's above 1v.
But at Crest's web site they call .775v the standard.
Is there really a standard for this?

So I notice that the Input Sensitivity spec for the GT800FX is .775v just like my Bryston 2B-LP.
What is the Input Sensitivity of the XT800 and why would they be making that amp with a different Input Sensitivity?
I notice that many of QSC's power amps have an Input Sensitivity that's above 1v.
But at Crest's web site they call .775v the standard.
Is there really a standard for this?

For what I have learned the last couple of weeks is:
* 0.775 Volt for instrument amplification = GT800FX = non-standard for the Matrix amps
* 1,55 Volt for PA amplification = XT800 = the standard for the Matrix amps

They increased the sensitivity because the signal from the Axie was to low for the XT-800.

Regards

For what I have learned the last couple of weeks is:
* 0.775 Volt for instrument amplification = GT800FX = non-standard for the Matrix amps
* 1,55 Volt for PA amplification = XT800 = the standard for the Matrix amps

They increased the sensitivity because the signal from the Axie was to low for the XT-800.

Regards

I would have preferred a little higher input sensitivity. I mean, I would end up attenuating the hell out of it. The GT800 is WAY too much power for my stereo Boogie 4x12.

3 standards of IP sensitivity really (though there are a few strange ones like the Art SLAs - which is 1v sensitivity - so around +3db).

-10db, 0db and +4db. The -10 and +4 are generally "professional" and "non professional) line level signals (for FX loops, Rack processors etc). The +4db equates to 1.23v which is where the XT800 is set. 0db seems to be a standard for Power amp inputs (certainly valve ones), which equates to 0.775v.

The GT has been changed so it matches guitar modellers better (most seem to be set around the 0db O/P level I think). With the Axe were blessed as it has a good range of OPs, BUT the GT isnt ONLY for Axe users. It has to be right for ANY modeller out there - and 0db made more sense for thoses that cant drive a hotter signal without clipping.

Thats how I understand things.

I would have preferred a little higher input sensitivity. I mean, I would end up attenuating the hell out of it. The GT800 is WAY too much power for my stereo Boogie 4x12.

Correct it is a powerfull light 1U amp. But you will have all the headroom you will ever need, can use just one channel, or buy another Boogie 4x12. Do not forget there are volume pots which you can use which cover low volumes for bed room playing or blow your drummer from stage if needed. :mrgreen

It would be great to get a video (and audio sample) of the differences between the two... Thanks again for getting all this info to us!

3 standards of IP sensitivity really (though there are a few strange ones like the Art SLAs - which is 1v sensitivity - so around +3db).

-10db, 0db and +4db. The -10 and +4 are generally "professional" and "non professional) line level signals (for FX loops, Rack processors etc). The +4db equates to 1.23v which is where the XT800 is set. 0db seems to be a standard for Power amp inputs (certainly valve ones), which equates to 0.775v.

The GT has been changed so it matches guitar modellers better (most seem to be set around the 0db O/P level I think). With the Axe were blessed as it has a good range of OPs, BUT the GT isnt ONLY for Axe users. It has to be right for ANY modeller out there - and 0db made more sense for thoses that cant drive a hotter signal without clipping.

Thanks Paul

Correct it is a powerfull light 1U amp. But you will have all the headroom you will ever need, can use just one channel, or buy another Boogie 4x12. Do not forget there are volume pots which you can use which cover low volumes for bed room playing or blow your drummer from stage if needed. :mrgreen

I wouldn't want to use just one side cause I love the Axe in stereo. I can't lug around (2) 4x12's because I don't have the space in my hatchback(hehe). But (2) 4x12's would be AMAZING! I can already hear the ringing in my ears.

Just a heads up. Anyone who thinks they dont need the GT800FX mods, and thinks the XT800 would be fine, then mine is available (it does have the quite fan and combi jack mods).

Check the for sale section for details - however its as new, and will be full warenteed by Matrix as a new unit. Basically only going due to me getting the GT version.

Paul,

Matt sent me a GT version before they had the new faceplates available that say "GT" on the front. Matt offered to send me a replacement faceplate. What is involved on removing the first faceplate and replacing it with the new one? Think it'll be cumbersome? I'm concerned about messing with the level knobs on the front, etc.

XT800 is now sold.

Claxor. i havent actually had the front pannel off. Ive just had a look, and (as I poined out in my initial review) there is nothing actually attached to the front pannel. Both the on/off switch and the level knobs are mounted internally and protrude through holes in the plate. Should be easy to change them.

How are you finding the amp? I know you paid quite a bit being stateside, and don't know if you had experience of the Arts or other SS amps first.

that makes a lot of sesne because i had a POD x3 for a few years before i got this axefx and i was always having the hardest time finding a poweramp that would bring the volume up to stage performance. I finally realized that it was the pods low signal that wasnt up to snuff for the power amps to carry it to the next level of volume. So this feature alone would have sold me on this amp before i got my axefx.

Back
Top Bottom