The new MATRIX GT800FX. THE amp for THE Axe-Fx

Wow an 83 page thread. I had no idea that when I introduced everyone to Matrix amplification that this would take off in the way that it did. I even explained to the inventor why guitar players with an Axe FX would want such an amp. I am pleased that this has all worked out.

I'm still waiting for the similar power amp from the company called "Pro Audio" that was announced several months before Matrix even was mentioned on this forum...

I'm still waiting for the similar power amp from the company called "Pro Audio" that was announced several months before Matrix even was mentioned on this forum...

I had nothing to do with that Vapourware. I don't think the Pro Audio was very similar to the Matrix....

Been playing with the Matrix GT800FX for the last few days.

Sound quality: Very very good and sounds tubisch without tubes? YES without tubes!
Building quality: Very very good and it weights only 3,7 KG!
Power: Very very loud and in bridge mode it blows the roof of the house!
Connectivity: Very very good. You name it can handle it!
Service: Very very good!
Price: for what you get it is just cheap!

I feared there was to much to be true buzz. But must admit this amp must have some real Agent Smith in it.
It kicks, hits and shoots you right in the balls.

Big thanks to Dada, Lightningboy, PaulMapp, Yek, Smilefan and al the other Agent Smiths out there.

This Matrix is really amazing.

Are you guys using balanced or unbalanced outputs from the Axe to the Matrix? Why?

I am using balanced..no reason why except i prefer balanced when i can use them.

It will make no difference to sound quality using either over the length of cable needed.

What model Carvin was that?
I was using my Carvin dcm1500L but I recently tried it with my other Carvin the DCM3000L and had a similar experience. I actually did a blind listening test with my band and they all hands down thought the Carvin was thin and sterile sounding to the matrix.

I am using balanced..no reason why except i prefer balanced when i can use them.

It will make no difference to sound quality using either over the length of cable needed.

I was under the impression that balanced may be slightly louder, but these things confuse me so I may be wrong.

balanced is a better method then unbalanced 1/4" when connecting to a power amp. The tone isnt going to really change unless you have a really long cable run where the unbalanced will lose some high end. The balanced cables reject noise way better and cable length really has no impact on the signal unlike unbalanced. It's true for really short runs the only noticable difference may be the balanced is a few DBs louder, but why risk it. Go XLR balanced it's the best choice from axe to poweramp.

I'm using an unbalanced connection from the Axe to the Matrix. Leaves the XLR outs on the Axe free for other stuff, which I have wired to an interface panel for easy access.

I was using my Carvin dcm1500L but I recently tried it with my other Carvin the DCM3000L and had a similar experience. I actually did a blind listening test with my band and they all hands down thought the Carvin was thin and sterile sounding to the matrix.

Cool, thanks for the response. I have been considering the DCM1540L, but maybe I'll save up more $$$ for the Matrix instead.

I just ordered the Matrix from Tone Merchants and apparently got free shipping. They invoiced me for a total of $699.00. The word is that they are "on their way" to TM and should be shipping to customers within a week.

I was under the impression that balanced may be slightly louder, but these things confuse me so I may be wrong.
Just checking in case anyone is under the misconception that balanced is louder ...

For line outputs and amp inputs that both treat unbalanced as "half-balanced" then yes, balanced is a hotter signal, but it doesn't give your amp any more power. All it means it that you don't have to turn the amp master up as high to get maximum power.

In the highly unlikely event that your amp doesn't get to maximum power with a maximum level setting, then switching from unbalanced to balanced will help.

Guys,if you set the axe's output to mono and matrix switch to parallel how would connect two cabs?Using only output A and sidechaining the cabs?

Guys,if you set the axe's output to mono and matrix switch to parallel how would connect two cabs?Using only output A and sidechaining the cabs?

Hi there,
If you set the GT800FX to parallel any input you put into channel A also appears at the input stage of channel B. Therefore you can plug a cab into each of the outputs and have independent control of the gain for each cabinet using gain pot A & B.
You could also plug more than one cabinet into each output, by linking the cabinets in series or parallel to ensure that the impedance does not drop to less than 4 ohms.

Best regards
Matt

Hi there,
If you set the GT800FX to parallel any input you put into channel A also appears at the input stage of channel B. Therefore you can plug a cab into each of the outputs and have independent control of the gain for each cabinet using gain pot A & B.
You could also plug more than one cabinet into each output, by linking the cabinets in series or parallel to ensure that the impedance does not drop to less than 4 ohms.

Best regards
Matt
Hey Matt,i tried the first routing but i cant get sound from both channels,its like one cab is always bypassed.I even dont have the leds blinking.
Tried in stereo mode still nothing
The only routing which works for me is using one input channel and side chaining the cabs:eek:

Edit: never mind I fixed it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom