The new MATRIX GT800FX. THE amp for THE Axe-Fx

My GT800FX arrived today! First thing to note is that it's very light, nice. And finally I can hook up my FBT Verve 12M's properly using Neutrik plugs. I first switched on my ART-SLA2 and played a while, then hooked up the GT800FX. The jack cables from my Axe Fx fit nicely and robust in the GT800FX. I switched it on and noticed my speakers going 'bump'. That's a pity, since my ART does not do that. You hear the ART switch some relais or something after it powered on, probably preventing this bump. Played a while on the GT800FX and repeated switching from/to the ART several times. Conclusion: I hear no difference at all between the two. Perhaps I should connect one channel to one amp and the other channel to the other amp, which is probably ok on non-tube amps (leaving one channel without a load) but I didn't dare that yet. The GT800FX also 'bumps' when switching off by the way and the fans are much more noisy than the ART.

So, I'm going to keep the GT800FX because of its weight and connectors, but it didn't do some 'magic' for me. Which in itself may be a relief, because if it was very different, what would the audience be hearing when amplified through the PA...?

Note that these tests were run on some more than bedroom volume, not at stage or rehearsal volumes, using a Music Man Luke II.

The ART SLA-2 is for sale now, but I think it remains valuable.

Hmm, these first reports do not raise much enthusiasm...

I just got a call from Andy , really nice to see how they are concerned.

Probably my unit got damaged during transport , the fan noise is caused by the fans running in high speed mode (which is not normal). They will send me a new unit when the new batch is finished. They never had this weird malfunction so they are eager to get their hands on this one to see what's wrong. The case had a nick and a foam layer inside was indeed cracked. So I'm just unlucky I guess. Anyway they really helped me out , called in the evening so I cannot blame them , just the carriers who can throw stuff that ony weight 5 kg ...

So thumbs crossed for al other units while they're on the way ...

Too bad I have to wait a few weeks :cry

Raf

I just got a call from Andy , really nice to see how they are concerned.

Probably my unit got damaged during transport , the fan noise is caused by the fans running in high speed mode (which is not normal). They will send me a new unit when the new batch is finished. They never had this weird malfunction so they are eager to get their hands on this one to see what's wrong. The case had a nick and a foam layer inside was indeed cracked. So I'm just unlucky I guess. Anyway they really helped me out , called in the evening so I cannot blame them , just the carriers who can throw stuff that ony weight 5 kg ...

So thumbs crossed for al other units while they're on the way ...

Too bad I have to wait a few weeks :cry

Raf

Probably you do not have to wait that long. And damaging the amp in the box is not an easy thiing to do. It is double packed in two carboard boxes. Packed like the Axe-Fx.
Glad it is solved immediatly by Andy. That is called stellar customer service.

Regards

Hi,
Just loaded my GT 800FX here in Toronto. LIFT OFF ! lol
Observations,
1) Reallllllly Loud, Compared to my DCML200 it is monsterous. I have not gotten it to full load yet I am sure, Wife is waaaay pissed already.
2) Fan Noise ? Not really audible for me, no issue with Fans, so far.
3) Sound, Very Full, I loaded it before the 11.0 update for a "Before and After" I have two changes working here so a lot to identify. But the FULLNESS seems better to me. Crushing on Das Metal amp.
4) Shipping and handling, communications, superb. Item arrived in perfect condition, right on time.
5) Icing on the cake ? The Little RED leds that make it look like a Tube amp, LOL See picture.

More Eval to come, So far very pleased.

MATRIX.jpg

Got another call yesterday from Andrew. After I opened the lid , too check if I saw some loose connections (none), all of sudden Channel A worked in stereo mode too. Probably dry joint , they will replace my unit. The fan noise still is very loud (not really clicking noises , just turning in overdrive so it seems the amp wants to lift off)

Raf

Hi,
Just loaded my GT 800FX here in Toronto. LIFT OFF ! lol
Observations,
1) Reallllllly Loud, Compared to my DCML200 it is monsterous. I have not gotten it to full load yet I am sure, Wife is waaaay pissed already.
2) Fan Noise ? Not really audible for me, no issue with Fans, so far.
3) Sound, Very Full, I loaded it before the 11.0 update for a "Before and After" I have two changes working here so a lot to identify. But the FULLNESS seems better to me. Crushing on Das Metal amp.
4) Shipping and handling, communications, superb. Item arrived in perfect condition, right on time.
5) Icing on the cake ? The Little RED leds that make it look like a Tube amp, LOL See picture.

More Eval to come, So far very pleased.

MATRIX.jpg

Teddis,

Looks cool!

BTW please be aware the setting of the volume knobs is full force now. But then again the volume of output 2 on the Ultra is minimal.

Hope you having fun with it. But be carefull it is a very very powerfull little beast!

Regards

The bump is very very tiny. Maybe you should test it with some music and FRFR speakers. Then the difference is very audible.

Hey, now that the Axe-Fx II has been released... does this mean that Matrix will release a GT800FX II...? ;) :twisted

Hey, now that the Axe-Fx II has been released... does this mean that Matrix will release a GT800FX II...? ;) :twisted

Well it kind of is already! XT800 into the GT800!!

Just gotta say, it sounds great. Just tried it using the 12GA50's and gone is the boominess I used to get, feedback is blooming nicely instead of just resonating. Bottom end a lot more open and harmonics are breaking through nicely. Will try and get some vids done asap!

Well it kind of is already! XT800 into the GT800!!

Just gotta say, it sounds great. Just tried it using the 12GA50's and gone is the boominess I used to get, feedback is blooming nicely instead of just resonating. Bottom end a lot more open and harmonics are breaking through nicely. Will try and get some vids done asap!

Lightningboy,

Did you installed v11 already? Had the same experience but, dum me, also did the v11 so I do not know which improvement is from what. :eek:ops

So back to 10.5 and start over tomorrow.

Regards

PS Just hit the 500 post so become a Senior member (farting) -----> WHERE IS MY FREE T-SHIRT?????????? :lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom