The Holy Grail!

webstersp

Inspired
After buying, selling and owning lots of different amps trough the years and loosing lots of money doing this I can finally say that for me the AXE FX Ultra is really the Holy Grail for me!

I have tried many high gain amps, from Marshall JCM 800, 900 XL, DSl 50, Peavey 5150 II, Mesa Single,dual rectifier and triple rectifier and few others. My two favorites were the mesa Mark IV and orange rockerver 50. The orange was great because of the plug and play ability and always sounds good even at bedroom level!
The Mark IV was also an incredible amp but when the soundman at our show needed me to lower my sound it was a big pain in the ass!! You can't only turn the master volume down you need to use 35 different combination of the 200 front and back knobs and switch to only lower your volume without changing your sound!!
And Tubes!!! Yeah NOS tubes sounds great but they cost $/"$$"$$$$$! and weight!??

Now the AXE!!! Take all the amps I owned and even more, yeah you can have the same or even more options than the mark IV but once you got your volume right both for gigs and at home you can SAVE THEM!!! :p Add to this already incredible list of amps, superb effects, endless routing possibility, a built in tuner and I haven't even really build my own sound yet! Only using the axe presets and few others from Axe change!!

My girlfriend must hate Cliff right now because I'm aways talking about the axe fx! But at least cliff cured my GAS!!
THANKS!

I haven't owned as many amps as you, but it seems I've cycled through my share of gear in the last few years. I believe with the ULTRA, just delivered a few days ago, I may in fact be cured of GAS as well. If it doesn't, I don't know what will, cuz the AXE FX is the bee's knees man! I am a bit overwhelmed though with putting together patches and figuring out the routing...at least it will keep me from getting bored.

Cheers,

Congrats - I'm curious to know, as you are a MkIV owner, how close you thing the Axe-FX sounds to the actual amp? Can you dial in the same tone you used to get with the amp?

I find that the Mesa MkIV sim on my Axe-FX to be one of my favourites. Not sure it is because I have always used Mesa tube amps (MkIIB and DC-10) and just used to their unique sound, or whether it is because it is a real kick a## sound in it's own right! ;)

there is no known cure for GAS.
Dont tell us you guys will never buy another guitar!
Plus, the myths about getting back a whole lot of cash from selling old gear doesn't necessarily pan out. I won't sell my amp -it just looks too cool!

there is no known cure for GAS.
Dont tell us you guys will never buy another guitar!
Plus, the myths about getting back a whole lot of cash from selling old gear doesn't necessarily pan out. I won't sell my amp -it just looks too cool!

Unfortunately I have to confirm, there's no cure. I've bought two guitars and a bass since I got Axe-Fx.

Congrats - I'm curious to know, as you are a MkIV owner, how close you thing the Axe-FX sounds to the actual amp? Can you dial in the same tone you used to get with the amp?

I find that the Mesa MkIV sim on my Axe-FX to be one of my favourites. Not sure it is because I have always used Mesa tube amps (MkIIB and DC-10) and just used to their unique sound, or whether it is because it is a real kick a## sound in it's own right! ;)

I don't have the Mark IV anymore, I sold all my amps but I have one entire show and a complete soundcheck we made recorded by a friend with Pro tools and his laptop and I can say that the Axe Fx sounds pretty close to me and even better! I haven't really started created my own sounds in the axe fx yet, I'm using the presets and when I find one that I like I tweak it and try to learn the basics of the Axe! Right now the amp sim I prefer is the USA LEAD II (MESA BOOGIE MKIV Lead) and I haven't tried the USA RHY yet!
I'm taking my time :p

Je te comprend tellement mon ami!! Mais moi, mes gas continuerons tant qu'Il n'y aura pas un Splawn et un Cameron sims!!!

@ webstersp!

What will happen in the gear industry is that it will go down for centries of "finance crises" for the amp and fx manufactors out there. The marked cries out for medicine to cure their GAS!!! As you posted, yes, Cliff has cured my GAS as well. I`m into high-end guitars from now on!!!

BR
Signature Pre

There is simply 2 types of GAS:

Gear and Guitar. The Axe can cure the first type!

The first guitar I bought was a cheap peavey with a floyd rose that I paid around 500$ canadian brand new around 1994-1995.
Then I went few years later with a Les Paul Custom Silverburst wich I sold and told myself that I would never ever buy another guitar
in that price range! Sorry for the Gibson fans but I really liked the look of a les paul but for me near 3000$ for a Les Paul ... Half of the money
is for the name!
I would rather buy 3 different 1000$ guitar!! :p
Right now I'm using an ESP horizon NT-II DBS, An ESP EC-1000 VHB and a Godin Velocity NF.
The only guitar I would pay in the 2000$-3000$ right now would be a PRS.

Back
Top Bottom