Tape echo does not behave like a real one

eljodon

Experienced
I asked this question before and didn't get answer. Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly. When I lower the echo delay time the Axe Fx does not behave like a real echoplex because when I use an expression pedal for example to lower the delay time it goes back to the original not pitch rather quickly.
I'm I missing something? I owned one before and I was able to do the things that Jimmy Page and Tom Sholtz used to do and get this real cool effect when you lower the delay time and increase the feedback.. I tried using a damper but it doesn't work.
I also tried using the expression pedal on the head time with different settings but it didn't work either. Is there something I'm over looking?

You need to modulate the motor speed, not the delay time.

Thanks you for your response. I tried that but I didn't get the results I was looking for. Do I have to set the delay at a specific time? All I need is to go from 0 to 300 or 400 msec.
Does adjusting the Motor speed yields that much of a change ? Thanks

I can't remember of hand, I think he uses it in The Song Remains the same movie. But here is what I'm talking about HYPERSPACE PEDAL DEMO SCHOLZ BOSTON - YouTube I was able to achieve that when I was a 17 (1979) and I had a Echoplex and I used a bicycle break cable and attached it to the knob were you move the tape side to side to increase the delay time and at the other end I took a broken Wah pedal and came up with a way to move the head with a the pedal. Then I also took the feedback pot and put it on a volume pedal so I can control the feedbak with my foot also. I got some great sounds. When I heard the firs Boston album and also a boot leg, I knew Tom Sholzt he was using pedals to control his Echoplex so I found a way to do it.

Motor speed takes you from 50% to 200% of delay time.
So if your top end were 400ms, you'd get down to 100ms.
That said, you can run two in series, so that will get you down to 25 ms.

You can also modulate delay time at the same time.

Motor speed takes you from 50% to 200% of delay time.
So if your top end were 400ms, you'd get down to 100ms.
That said, you can run two in series, so that will get you down to 25 ms.

You can also modulate delay time at the same time.

I tried that but the delay starts freaking out a stops working. I tried using auto engage for the hold button but once you activate it you can't play the guitar

It works. I'm doing it now with 4 delays in series: 2 DLY blocks set to tape (kill line 2 and all FB) plus 2 MTDs set to QUAD TAPE.

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Long Tape Pedal - by Admin M@

4 delays in series? Your insane! Thanks. But why does it take 4 delays when I can do it with 1 echoplex! But it's just a hassle to bring to a gig when I just want to use my Axe Fx 2, my MFC1010 with 4 pedals a power amp and a couple of cabs! I would like to use it for sound design for my work and also my band plays some Boston songs and I can do it but it's trial and error so I just sampled it and use a lap top for live back up tracks.
I'm exited to check it out! I'm not as bright as you and some of people on this forum! 4 delays! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks

It works. I'm doing it now with 4 delays in series: 2 DLY blocks set to tape (kill line 2 and all FB) plus 2 MTDs set to QUAD TAPE.

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Long Tape Pedal - by Admin M@

Thanks!! 4 delays? You're insane!!Lol! I'll give a try! I'm not as smart as some you guys in this forum! But it's weird that it takes 4 delays to do what one Echoplex or a Memory Man can do! But that's better than to bring that stuff to a gig, but in my studio a do a bit of sound design and O love echo Fx's! Thanks again.

Thanks!! 4 delays? You're insane!!Lol! I'll give a try! I'm not as smart as some you guys in this forum! But it's weird that it takes 4 delays to do what one Echoplex or a Memory Man can do! But that's better than to bring that stuff to a gig, but in my studio a do a bit of sound design and O love echo Fx's! Thanks again.
DId it occur to you that perhaps there's more than 1 delay circuit in those devices under the covers?

DId it occur to you that perhaps there's more than 1 delay circuit in those devices under the covers?

On a Echoplex? It only has 2 heads not 4 or 6 like the Roland Space Echo. A Memory man? It does modulating effects also but it's old technology. I never heard or read anywhere that old units like that, would have more than 1 delay circuit. Maybe the new ones they make now.

But if you're talking about Eventide, Lexicon,Yamaha, AMS,Bricasti Design, TC Electronics, etc yes I'm aware of that. But I was wondering if it occurred to you that I was talking about a simple basic tape delay that's 40 year old that can do what I'm looking for.
On the Axe Fx 2 I see a Tape Delay and when it has modifiers that you can just use an expression pedal to control parameters, you would expect it to work without having to use 4 delays which might over load a patch depending on what I'm using!. On the manual it doesn't say " danger, if you want the tape delay work like a real one, you might need 4 delays "
I appreciate your help, but I don't appreciate you insulting my intelligence with statements like that!
I was just wondering why would it take 4 delays to do what I'm looking for, when it can be done with a over 40 year old technology! But I so appreciate your help. Thanks

No one is insulting you- no worries here- a way to replicate this effect has been presented, and our tonal journeys continue- replicating analog/mechanical phenomenon is no easy task, but hopefully M@'s method will work for you. One of the things I've found with this box is that there's usually a few different ways to do something, so who knows- keep experimenting, and something useful may come!

Your right, my apologies. I was in the middle of doing something and did an impulse reply and thought about it afterwards and felt bad. As far as entitlement, if you look around the fractal forum, I rarely ask for any help for anything and I always try to help out other fellow Fractal gentlemen.

No one is insulting you- no worries here- a way to replicate this effect has been presented, and our tonal journeys continue- replicating analog/mechanical phenomenon is no easy task, but hopefully M@'s method will work for you. One of the things I've found with this box is that there's usually a few different ways to do something, so who knows- keep experimenting, and something useful may come!

Thank you sir!!

it can be done with one delay. probably doesn't sound as good as matt's (i haven't tried it), but i think the main shortcoming with using one delay is the range available from the motor speed parameter may not be quite as wide as the real thing. modulating delay time doesn't work, as you've discovered.

here's a one delay version. see if you're happier with this...external 1 is controlling the hyperspace effect, which i have linked to an external expression pedal

Actually, doh.

My thinking was TOTALLY wrong.
Stacking them in series doesn't buy you any more total range on motor speed.

[4*(100 ms)] * 50% = 200 ms
[4*(100 ms)] * 100% = 400 ms
[4*(100 ms)] * 200% = 800 ms

[1*(400 ms)] * 50% = 200 ms
[1*(400 ms)] * 100% = 400 ms
[1*(400 ms)] * 200% = 800 ms

So uhh... the maximum motor speed range is 50% - 200%, no matter how you slice it.

Back
Top Bottom