• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

suhr badger in 7.00

The Badger didn't do much for me ... until I checked Adam's preset in Axe-Change.
Now I love it. Combining it with a Eternity block for subtle leads.

You´ll love it more and more when Cliff releases the fixed version! The Badger is a work of art. Everytime I plug into it I have to ask myself: how can this thing sound so fenderish with its EL84 based power section? The gain knob actually works like an amp selector: Fender-Vox-Marshall! Have you dialed it as an hot rodded Plexi? Roll-off your guitar volume pot and you have that nice Fender clean again! I´ve never experienced this kind of dynamic with an amp.. and I played them all.

You´ll love it more and more when Cliff releases the fixed version! The Badger is a work of art. Everytime I plug into it I have to ask myself: how can this thing sound so fenderish with its EL84 based power section? The gain knob actually works like an amp selector: Fender-Vox-Marshall! Have you dialed it as an hot rodded Plexi? Roll-off your guitar volume pot and you have that nice Fender clean again! I´ve never experienced this kind of dynamic with an amp.. and I played them all.

Yeah, MV is at 10, and Drive at about 8. Gives a very nice breakup tone. I'll try your tip for sure, thanks!

Hi Enzo,

Well I believe your info/description of your actual Suhr Badger (or one that you've tried) but from your description (as insisting it having EL84-tubes) it seems that you are positive/sure about which Badger-Model Cliff/FAS modelled: Suhr Badger 18!

I say this of course, because the Suhr Badger 30 is EL34-equipped...I (and others) were trying to get an answer as to which model was getting tone-matched & released, but I don't remember seeing reply/answer to that question?

Thanks for that information, if it is true and a "matter of fact."

Bill

from your description (as insisting it having EL84-tubes) it seems that you are positive/sure about which Badger-Model Cliff/FAS modelled: Suhr Badger 18!
Enzo gave Cliff the schematic in the first place "LOL!" ;) (as can be read in this thread)
(which doesn't prove he modelled that one, but chances are good ;))

Hi Enzo,

Well I believe your info/description of your actual Suhr Badger (or one that you've tried) but from your description (as insisting it having EL84-tubes) it seems that you are positive/sure about which Badger-Model Cliff/FAS modelled: Suhr Badger 18!

I say this of course, because the Suhr Badger 30 is EL34-equipped...I (and others) were trying to get an answer as to which model was getting tone-matched & released, but I don't remember seeing reply/answer to that question?

Thanks for that information, if it is true and a "matter of fact."

Bill

I already replied on this thread that it´s going to be the 18. The final fixed version should be released soon I guess, Cliff is working on it.

Seriously, I loved the badger when I played it for the first time. So crystal clear, yet rocking at the same time. Dang.

@Enzo: Would you be able to help me dial in some parameters (bass/mid/treb, and advanced parameters) to get it similar to the Badger (everything on noon)? I have a gig tomorrow and yes, I love the sound it can already produce but would love to get the actual amp sound as close as possible!

Thanks! :)

Seriously, I loved the badger when I played it for the first time. So crystal clear, yet rocking at the same time. Dang.

@Enzo: Would you be able to help me dial in some parameters (bass/mid/treb, and advanced parameters) to get it similar to the Badger (everything on noon)? I have a gig tomorrow and yes, I love the sound it can already produce but would love to get the actual amp sound as close as possible!

Thanks! :)

I´d wait for the final release. BTW Cliff wrote me that increasing the low cut to 220 Hz sounds closer

I do own and play a Badger 18 as my daily practice and improv amp. I second every word of what Enzo has written about the actual amp. I have owned the best and the Badger, is the most diverse and organic tone machine I have personally plugged into. It will be at my house the day my family cleans out my belongings when I pass away. I hope that it is the 18 that Cliff has modeled. Each Badger has a wonderful sound. But, that 18 is just plain special.
Even after like 4 years or so, I cannot help but grin when I plug in to my Badger 18. I want all my FAS family to truly be able to experience that "Big Silly Grin" as well. I believe in Cliff's ability to perfect anything he sets his mind to. The "final release" of the Weasel, which must be done, will be something very special once he nails it "spot on".

FWIIW - I think my cab/speaker adds to the whole of the sound I personally experience (Suhr ported 1x12 sealed back cab w/12" Eminence Red Fang) Will Post the Cab IR soon.
Peace!

Last edited:
18watt - Glad to hear that!. I am beyond excited to try this. I have grown to believe that when you say you think something is "dead-nuts", it usually is!

The model is a Badger 18. The actual amp finally showed up. It took nine days for the USPS to ship it from NJ to NH (insert facepalm smilie).

I've finished the model and need to submit it to Suhr for approval. Sounds dead-nuts on to me.
good news to hear that it actually arrived and didn't get lost and even better to hear about the improved model !

The model is a Badger 18. The actual amp finally showed up. It took nine days for the USPS to ship it from NJ to NH (insert facepalm smilie).

I've finished the model and need to submit it to Suhr for approval. Sounds dead-nuts on to me.

Can't wait to check it out. Do you hear differences from the model that's in 7.0?

Word is the boys down at USPS - NJ Station had several rowdy jam sessions last week. I bet they sounded mysteriously Suhr like.... LOL

FractalAudio said:

I am really glad things turned out okay. Being a huge badger fan, i felt like the prototype model was somewhat off and its good you got a real one to perfect things. Cant wait.

Question for all you Badger fans: I have an 18 combo that I really love for exatly the reasons described. Beautiful beakup and monster tone when driven. My only complaint is lack of headroom for cleans at volume. With the Power & Drive dimed (no MV), it gets dirty very quickly when gain is pushed past 9:00. I have considered going to a 30 or 35 to gain more headroom for cleans but many people (here included) say that those amps are different beasts. Can anybody comment who has used/ owned both?

I love my Axe and hope it can do the Badger proud. But, I love my amps too. They both have a place in my world.

Question for all you Badger fans: I have an 18 combo that I really love for exatly the reasons described. Beautiful beakup and monster tone when driven. My only complaint is lack of headroom for cleans at volume. With the Power & Drive dimed (no MV), it gets dirty very quickly when gain is pushed past 9:00. I have considered going to a 30 or 35 to gain more headroom for cleans but many people (here included) say that those amps are different beasts. Can anybody comment who has used/ owned both?

I love my Axe and hope it can do the Badger proud. But, I love my amps too. They both have a place in my world.

The 35 sounds pretty much like the 18 with more headroom, it actually sounds bigger which is good imho.

Back
Top Bottom