suhr badger in 7.00

I own a Badger 18 that I have had for about 4 years and it is by far the best amp I have ever owned. It's magic. That being said I keep it at my band practice room and I had about 5 minutes before practice to A/B it against the AxeFx II. In 5 minutes I got it close just by twisting the gain and tone controls on the Axe. Not perfect mind you but fairly close. If I had more time I could of gotten real close I'm sure. I'm hoping the updated version gets me there without any tweaking.

Regardless though the rest of the evening was spent with the Axe using patches that incorporate Mesa's, Marshalls and Fenders and it just keeps blowing my mind. I have never sounded this good and I own a lot of gear and I've been playing for many years. Tonight was a blast. I'm still amped up from it, no pun intended.

At home I've been playing with the Div/13 with the RC boost model if front of the amp block and the Dr. Z and love them as well.

With my Ultra which I'm keeping for backup I didn't like as many of the models and I had to tweak more to get them where I wanted, but I'm finding with my setup and the AxeFx II v7 a lot more of the models are usable and sound great stock. If I don't like the sound I probably don't like the amp that was modeled anyway.

V7 changed everything for me.

Kudos to Fractal. Really I can't thank you enough.

Also some of my favorite patches are the tone matched presets fractalaudio posted on AxeChange. Please do more of them.

Kind of interested as to what the revised version will sound like.
Not familiar with the real one at all.

Any ETA on it?

Revised version sounds similar to 7.0 but with more gain available. Also, the low-cut frequency has been increased a little bit to tighten up the bottom slightly.

Because of the no-negative feedback design of this amp the Master knob is VERY powerful when it comes to altering the tone of the amp. When you crank it up the mids get much more pronounced and you get a real warm fat singing lead tone. But it still responds incredibly well to the volume knob so when you back that down all of a sudden the highs and lows become more pronounced as it cleans up.

When I saw Guthrie use this amp his "clean channel" consisted of using a volume pedal to back off the input and his full volume tone was singing high gain. You can totally do that with this amp model now.

Revised version sounds similar to 7.0 but with more gain available. Also, the low-cut frequency has been increased a little bit to tighten up the bottom slightly.

Because of the no-negative feedback design of this amp the Master knob is VERY powerful when it comes to altering the tone of the amp. When you crank it up the mids get much more pronounced and you get a real warm fat singing lead tone. But it still responds incredibly well to the volume knob so when you back that down all of a sudden the highs and lows become more pronounced as it cleans up.

When I saw Guthrie use this amp his "clean channel" consisted of using a volume pedal to back off the input and his full volume tone was singing high gain. You can totally do that with this amp model now.

Thanks for the info and insight.

I recently tried a Badger 18 head into a closed back 1x12 badger cab. Its the only amp in the last 3 years that made me go - OOOOh YEEEH. its NOT high gain, though there is a decent amount of drive for bluesy stuff without a drive box.

Havent tried the AFX version yet - im away from mine until Monday.

I tried the Axe FX II Suhr Badger 18 for the first time last night (swapped it into Preset 365 Expanding Delay ) and had the exact same reation - "OOOOh YEEEAAAhhhh!"

Hey Cliff ... :encouragement:

EDIT: I went back to my preset 365 Expanding Delay (edited with the Suhr Badger 18 swapped into the amp block) to try to figure out - with my ears - why I like it so much. It was the amp-cab pairing (cab #20 Brit) that made all the difference in the world. Cab #20 is not as warm as some of the other cabs I like (e.g., #131) but the amp-cab fit is really good and I think its inherently tight (which should help cut through the mix).

I have to thank everyone on this great Forum and FAS for making me think for myself. Now I am starting to realize - first hand and not just from reading posts - that having a FRFR solution like is critical to getting the most out of the AXE FX II.

Contrary to some of my JC-120 posts, I am realizing that simply choosing a color-limited real guitar cab (or even two different real guitar cabs like my 1960's Supro cab or my JC-120) in my AXE FX rig would vastly limit my options.

I'd always be stuck with the color and character of those particular real cabs (with the AXE FX cab sims off) and even though I love them I would only have the color and character of those two cabs ... period. I know that works for some folks, but I don't want to start out designing a limited solution.

So come on Atomic :lol 'cause I've got work to do! ;)

Last edited:
You´ll love it more and more when Cliff releases the fixed version! The Badger is a work of art. Everytime I plug into it I have to ask myself: how can this thing sound so fenderish with its EL84 based power section? The gain knob actually works like an amp selector: Fender-Vox-Marshall! Have you dialed it as an hot rodded Plexi? Roll-off your guitar volume pot and you have that nice Fender clean again! I´ve never experienced this kind of dynamic with an amp.. and I played them all.

Tried that last night in my living room with my guitar MV at 2-3 and MY KRK 8's cranked while alternatively choking up on the pick (for added harmonics) and picking with just finger tips and nails (a la Jeff Beck style).

Great tone - so great you cannot believe it is coming out of a simulator! Every time I turn a new corner this thing just seems to blow me away all over again! :encouragement:

The model is a Badger 18. The actual amp finally showed up. It took nine days for the USPS to ship it from NJ to NH (insert facepalm smilie).

I've finished the model and need to submit it to Suhr for approval. Sounds dead-nuts on to me.

Really? Wow! I really should not be surprised (about the approval process) and I know I am late to the party on this thread, but man ... nice job Sir. Love this sim.

Back
Top Bottom