Sticking with the FM3? Upgrading to FM9? Why?

I have FM3/FC6 so size is no factor, my decision to upgrade is purely for the extra processing power and dual amp abilities. I was imminently about to get the Axe3, sell the FM3 and keep the FC to use with the AFX3 but this option delivers exactly what I need and saves me well over $1k.

1630339718582.gif

Last edited:
I intend to stick with my FM3. I also have an AxeFX III in my "big rig". The FM3 is a perfect small board solution for me, and makes fly dates (and guest work) much easier.

I'll probably get an FM9 and probably sell the FM3, and probably finally sell my AX8 too. I'm not exactly maximizing my Fractal resale strategy :)

I'm sorta low key pissed, lol. At myself that is. I 'just knew' FM9 would happen eventually. I even made a fun Photoshop mockup years ago that looked identical. Shortly after the FM3 was first announced.

Still I bought the FM3. Chalk it up to FOMO!

I kept my AX8 all this time as I was never sure I was going to get fully comfortable on the FM3 if I ever got back to gigging post Covid. Which for me, I still haven't, plus I still have my old tube amp and pedals rig that fits my band like a glove. I don't actually NEED any of the Fractals.

Now FM9 is out and devaluing both my other Fractals.

Even right now I know the smarter thing to do is probably NOT buy FM9, hold onto my FM3 and get more mileage out of it, and possibly pick up a used FC6 assuming deals are available now. But I never claimed to be smart.

I have an FM3 for going to jams / performances, and an AxeFX III for studio use. No plans to get an FM9. I have an FC6 if I should need more footswitches, but I've found that most of the time with the FM3 I can set up 3 scenes in a patch and that's all I need for a song so it mostly stays connected to my AxeFX for studio use.

I have some extra pedals (freqout, glitch, etc) that I would still need to use with the FM9, so the extra space is a no go. Sticking with the FM3.

also this:
The FM3 with a couple of Moskys does more than many of us need.

I use a dual footswitch to change presets... then, with all my scenes set up per song - I have my 3 buttons set up to get everything I need. I wouldn't know what to do with 9 buttons. I do like the additional effects loop tho.

Upgrading. The FM3 almost gets me there and could work fine in certain circumstances. The problem I have is I think in terms of a pedalboard and turning individual effects on and off at will. To do that I need a bit more CPU to have all the effects I want in one preset and more switches. I could do scenes and presets but it's not how I prefer to think or work. I also want the extra I/O ports.

I was under the impression that the size of this was almost identical to the fm3/fc6 combo. It’s the main reason I’m probably not changing. If it were about three inches narrower I could make it work.

I had an FC6 along with my FM3 for a while. Just didn't like that they were two separate pieces. Went to the 2-button stand in switch and dealt with the shortcomings (from my perspective). The extra switches are not the only factor. I'm thrilled with the FM3, but the FM9 will meet my needs better.

The picture below is from this post:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...eler-fx-processor.176122/page-11#post-2138050

img_2903-jpeg.87685

I added myself to the waitlist for the FM9 in case I change my mind, but I'll probably stick with the FM3 for now. I don't mind the lack of buttons on the FM3 and I don't do crazy involved presets, but I do wish I had the ability to rock dual amps. I'm also holding out hope that the improved Pitch block comes to the FM3 as well, as being able to do a few Eb songs without switching guitars would really be a game-changer for me, even if the rest of the preset had to be dialed down (I rarely use reverb in live presets anyway).

I already bring a rack with our in-ear monitor rig to gigs anyway, so if I upgrade, I would likely just jump all the way up to the Axe III and get a bigger rack case.

Upgrading here too! For me there's some new features I really like that's in the Axe III. Extra CPU always handy, 2 amp blocks in one preset, one extra output. I usually run an external tuner on the III. I have to run an RJM tone saver buffer on the FM3 so I can use the tuner out now I don't have to do that on the FM9. One less thing that needs powering underneath.

One other feature I really like using in the amp block with the Dirty Shirley 2 model is the Bias Tremolo. I like to set up an extra expression pedal and have that control the depth while I'm playing some ZZ TOP tunes. Especially on the Rhythmeen album "What's up with that". I can setup a bias trem in the tremolo block but there's something that sounds better using it that way in the amp block.

Probably gonna put the FM9 on a separate Temple audio duo 24 board. If I ever do run it in front I can always just connect a couple of expression pedals on the side if needed.

I intend to get the FM9 as my main gigging machine but keep the FM3 around. FM3 totally meets my needs and the form factor is wonderful especially for fly dates. However, I have had to compromise on some things to stay under the CPU limit, so the added power, switches and I/O the FM9 offers is really exactly what I want without needing to add anything to it. The size isn't THAT much bigger than having the FM3 on my little board with a Mosky and wireless receiver. It will add a few pounds to my road case though...time to start pumping iron. :p

I'll hang onto the FM3 as a backup or if I really just need something tiny such as for the occasional DI-only bass gigs I might do.

I also have the Axe III + FC6 that stays home, I don't plan on that going anywhere until the next generation of products maybe. It's way too much fun!

I received my FM3 last week. As I found out about the FM9, my first reflex was wanting to send it back and to wait for the FM9. But then, I played with it and I liked it a lot. I like having only 3 footswitches because I'm a minimalist, I even have only one guitar for all purposes, for completely different music genres. I just like to keep it simple. To be honest, I would like if the FM3 had more CPU power but the right question was: do I miss any CPU power? No, I don't.

I understand our forum colleagues who need more footswitches and who have FC6 in addition, in that case FM9 is a no brainer - all in one, plus more power. But for those who appreciate the small size and simplicity, FM3 isn't a worse choice at all. With all what's inside, it's a beast.

cant beet the ninr button switching optionc imo but the fm3 stays and i finally have a backiup just in i ve only ever had the lack of a backup bite me once and it was back in the tube amp daty blew an output trandformer on a really olg and great supro and had to wait for a friend to run home and get me an amp to borrow excriciatingly painfulcase

I had an FC6 along with my FM3 for a while. Just didn't like that they were two separate pieces. Went to the 2-button stand in switch and dealt with the shortcomings (from my perspective). The extra switches are not the only factor. I'm thrilled with the FM3, but the FM9 will meet my needs better.

The picture below is from this post:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...eler-fx-processor.176122/page-11#post-2138050

img_2903-jpeg.87685

Thank you, that is actually quite a bit smaller and I'm assuming you can still remove the side parts to narrow it some more.

I've got a tiny bit of FM-9 GAS, but it's really only the ability to use two amps for less money than the Axe-FX III. When I took a hard look at my needs, I decided that an extra $1000+ for the III wasn't really worth it. An extra $500 for the FM-9 is easier to swallow, but I still likely won't do it. I'm very happy with my FM-3 and the few times I've wanted to blend two amp tones, I've found other ways to accomplish what I was after.

Keeping the FM3 / FC12 for the time. Selling would require ditching the FM3, FC12, and Temple Duo 17 board. Not sure the FM9 would be the same size as the FC12 to fit with my 2x EV-1s and Duo 34 board.

Still would need to spend over $700 because of used gear sale netting only 55 to 60% of new price. Don't kid yourselves, folks, the market will be glutted with FM3s soon and sales prices will be competitive.

Realized that selling my gear would bet based on a desire to own better processors, but sacrifice switching capability. Took a deep breath and decided to forego selling my gear.

The cons vs. the pros in this, and it was decided, not at this time.

. Don't kid yourselves, folks, the market will be glutted with FM3s soon and sales prices will be competitive.

I am not so sure. :) Is there a pre-ememptive and irrational rush by some right now to sell
their FM3s? For damn sure. The problem with this is supply of FM9s is uncertain at best. There is
no telling how many orders from the waitlist will be fulfilled and when. I think a safer bet
is some who have sold off an FM3 "because FM9!" will end up regretting it and wanting an
FM3 back while they wait however long they will have to wait to get their name called from
the waitlist.

Back
Top Bottom