Sticking with the FM3? Upgrading to FM9? Why?

I'm really thinking I'm staying with my FM3 setup. Presets on one midi controller and scenes on a MC6 plus a tiny expression pedal in a 17" long board that all fits in a briefcase .

Plus I haven't scratched the surface of the FM3 and have the best tone for miles.
A. Lot. Of. Miles. 🙃

But ...I could see myself flipping a 9 on reverb and paying for this 3 with the profits.

I always hated that guy, but ya know ...

Haha! Is that guy from the "Midwest," by chance??? ;)

The smaller, more convenient, portability of the FM3 is super inviting.

I am quickly realizing that the "FM3 is gonna be obsolete talk" was super overstated,
and WAY OFF the mark. We all have different needs/means. The FM3 is perfect for
some of us---and maybe 2 of them is more perfecter. ;)

Last edited:
Lol
I don't know where they are, but I may be one of them one day. My son and I both are on the wait list.

He loves my FM3. My FM3 is our first personal experience with fractal ...and now we can't go back to L6, HR, or even hardwired tubes and high end analog.

Man how I would love to have highest quality verbs and dual amps...

but I am leaning more to a AxeFxIII Mk2 Turbo + Maserati edition.

Well i have FM3 and FC6 and i strongly considered the FM9, when it becomes available here in Australia. I reassessed how i use my FM3 and realised, like others here;
1. i dont use multiple amps at the same time
2. high res verbs and delay etc are largely irrelevant for live use
and
3. as such i dont need any extra dsp

Im sticking with the current combo, and for me the fact that it is two units split rather than one bigger unit works better re portability and gear lugging.

ymmv
:)

The FM3 is very good but there are things that I would like it to be able to do:

1.The delay Block does not have the diffusion option.

2.Having the ability to dual amps allows me to have my favorite amp for crystal clean and my favorite amp for high gains with seemless gap and have the flexibility to create interesting sounds using two amps at the same time( play with the bassist of the band with just the FM9 is cool ).

3. With the 9 footswitches of the FM9 is more than enough for me (with the Fm3 I was thinking of getting some extra switches for some occasions.

4. More DSP is something good too.

In conclusion: I like the idea of Having a single device "one magic box " That You can record,
practice at home and play any gig without having to carry additional equipment such as switches or reverb pedal or other pedals

Super Happy with FM3, but an FM5 with FM9 processing power and just 5 switches would be my PERFECT sweet spot. Fractal friends take note!!

FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!

The FM3 is very good but there are things that I would like it to be able to do:

1.The delay Block does not have the diffusion option.

2.Having the ability to dual amps allows me to have my favorite amp for crystal clean and my favorite amp for high gains with seemless gap and have the flexibility to create interesting sounds using two amps at the same time( play with the bassist of the band with just the FM9 is cool ).

3. With the 9 footswitches of the FM9 is more than enough for me (with the Fm3 I was thinking of getting some extra switches for some occasions.

4. More DSP is something good too.

In conclusion: I like the idea of Having a single device "one magic box " That You can record,
practice at home and play any gig without having to carry additional equipment such as switches or reverb pedal or other pedals
All of the above is fulfilled by FM9.

I have gone full circle on this issue. Just finished watching Cooper Carters last video on his kitchen sink preset on the AXEIII, FM9, and the FM3. I currently have the OMG9 setup with an EV-2. Cooper has a wealth of knowledge on all of these units. I'm a weekend warrior playing gigs every other weekend and love the versatility of Fractal. My old AX8 did it, and now the FM3. I'm not convinced there is enough of an upgrade for what I use Fractal for. If I thought so, I would move to the AXEIII. My 4:47 time slot for the FM9 can be taken by someone else.

I think I'll wait for the AXE IV, should be out by next year this time?

Super Happy with FM3, but an FM5 with FM9 processing power and just 5 switches would be my PERFECT sweet spot. Fractal friends take note!!

FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!FM5 !!!! FM5 !!!!!
we thought alike....lmao

I'll stick with the FM3. I will get the FM3 Mark II when it comes out in January 2023 ;-)
I love the form factor and I can get where I want cpu-wise already. Running some pedals in front is also a fun little hybrid build.

I'll stick with the FM3. I will get the FM3 Mark II when it comes out in January 2023 ;-)
I love the form factor and I can get where I want cpu-wise already. Running some pedals in front is also a fun little hybrid build.
I'm really digging a Kingsley Page in front.

I've decided to stay with the FM3. Although the muscle behind the FM9 is tempting, I can't justify replacing something great that works for me this well.

I put my name on the waitlist for the FM9, but…the more I wait, the more I realize I’m ok with FM3.

I love my FM3, and have been/am very happy with it. Ordered the FM9 moment it was launched, but FullRes has got me thinking about going back to the III, well this and seeing things like the new drives, new delays in the III - when I had one before being on the flagship was nice (purely mental not needed).

Recently, the AITR threads got me really challenging the limits of the FM3, even with external reverb - so I've ordered a III Turbo, let's see what the hype is about

I love my FM3, and have been/am very happy with it. Ordered the FM9 moment it was launched, but FullRes has got me thinking about going back to the III, well this and seeing things like the new drives, new delays in the III - when I had one before being on the flagship was nice (purely mental not needed).

Recently, the AITR threads got me really challenging the limits of the FM3, even with external reverb - so I've ordered a III Turbo, let's see what the hype is about

Congrats! :)

Does anyone think the Axe IV is just around the corner?
No. They just released the FM9 and Axe-Fx 3 Turbo. There aren't really any DSP chips that are significantly more powerful without making things exponentially more expensive or requiring multichip solutions that make latency and cooling more of a concern.

Plus most of the things that could use the most improvement on every Fractal product are not in areas that demand extra DSP power. They could still do a lot within the capabilities of the current generation units.

Back
Top Bottom