Sticking with the FM3? Upgrading to FM9? Why?

Intoodeep1113

Inspired
I thought it might be interesting to see some different viewpoints here. Since The release of the FM9, I'm sure many have asked themselves this question! the FM9 looks like an amazing device and much closer as a successor to the AX8. It also has double the processing power of both the AX8 and FM3 allowing it to run 2 amp blocks, 2 reverbs, and a few more things all at the expense of slightly larger size (or smaller if you currently use an FC6 with your FM3!)

The FM3 has worked quite well for me and I plan on sticking with it for now. 1 amp and 1 economy reverb hasn't hindered me from having the best sound/playing experience I have ever had. Plus, I travel for work pretty often, and the FM3, MC6, and expression pedal fit into a small backpack. The FM9 would likely push me over my flight weight limit (its pretty strictly enforced on the plane we fly on). A also generally run the FM3 on the desk next to me with the MC6 on the floor, and the FM9 would be a bit bulky for that in my case as well.

But maybe at some point in the future I will upgrade to the FM9. What are your guys thoughts/reasons for staying FM3 or going FM9?

I will buy an FM9 and stick with the FM3.

Our other guitarist got my AX8 after I got the FM3 (since we wanted to go "full digital" guitar-wise). After fiddling a while with the FM3 it turns out that
  • I don't feel restricted with the CPU limitation(s),
  • with my additional double switch I get enough switching options for 80% of my use cases,
  • I really like the small form factor.
At the end of the day, the FM9 will be my "main work horse", but I use the FM3 as backup for me and the other guitarist, as well as my "I am traveling around"-option. If I would need to fly to a gig, I would probably stick with the FM3 as well, just because, as you said, size and weight are enforced and limited.

Last edited:
Keeping both. Retooling the FM3 pedal board to just FM3 and expression pedal for jazz jams. Kitchen sink presets go the FM9 AxeFx III with a big welcome back to the dual amp and onboard reverb patches. IIxl+/MFC going on loan to a friend.

Edit: Apparently the sweet FM9 announcement was the gateway drug to realizing I couldn't wait any longer. Congratulations Fractal team on the sale. Lol.

Last edited:
FC6 sales may take a larger hit than the FM3. The FM3 with a couple of Moskys does more than many of us need.
That's what I see. I know there are a lot that have the FC-6, but there are also several that either make do with just the three buttons or use a couple of small stand-in switches. If you're a fan of the FC-6, why not make the jump?

A friend may be purchasing one in the near future, so we'll see once I have one in front of me, but I don't see myself "trading up."

The FM3 w/a 2-button foot switch (and external wireless/tuner) gives me a solid workhorse tool and enough structure/parameters to stave off analysis paralysis for live use.

I will be getting the FM9. Perfect performance/power and size for my needs. I may keep my FM3/FC-6 for backup, although I do have the Axe FX III also. We’ll see. Options . . .

I thought it might be interesting to see some different viewpoints here. Since The release of the FM9, I'm sure many have asked themselves this question! the FM9 looks like an amazing device and much closer as a successor to the AX8. It also has double the processing power of both the AX8 and FM3 allowing it to run 2 amp blocks, 2 reverbs, and a few more things all at the expense of slightly larger size (or smaller if you currently use an FC6 with your FM3!)

The FM3 has worked quite well for me and I plan on sticking with it for now. 1 amp and 1 economy reverb hasn't hindered me from having the best sound/playing experience I have ever had. Plus, I travel for work pretty often, and the FM3, MC6, and expression pedal fit into a small backpack. The FM9 would likely push me over my flight weight limit (its pretty strictly enforced on the plane we fly on). A also generally run the FM3 on the desk next to me with the MC6 on the floor, and the FM9 would be a bit bulky for that in my case as well.

But maybe at some point in the future I will upgrade to the FM9. What are your guys thoughts/reasons for staying FM3 or going FM9?

If I were buying new right now, I'd probably buy an FM9. But having had the FM3 for about 6 months, I learned how to work around any of it's warts and still be completely happy with it. I don't need more than what the FM3 has to offer. And that actually helps keep my rig smaller and more portable, which is cool with me.

So while I'm envious of the FM9 capabilities, I don't see a need to switch.

Just selling the II this week. The FM9 is great, but even it had two synth and pitch blocks and as actually the FM3 does totally respond to my needs; I'll keep the FM3 for it's hyper transportable form factor. I'd been waiting that for years and am not ready to abandon so fast.
If I had the justification for needing more CPU power and very frequent gigging, which is not my case, I'd probably end up getting the axe fx III for the double synth and pitch blocks well as the rack format that would clean up the cables on the floor that I like less with a floor unit.

I'll be moving to the FM9. I have made the 3-buttons with a stand-in switch work, but it's still not my preference. The FM3/FC6 combination was just too big. I know the FM9 isn't much smaller than that pair, but it hits the sweet spot for me. I'll probably give the FM3 to our Worship Leader. He has a Headrush unit and those are terrible.

I'm another "both" guy. I totally love my FM3 and really have it in a giggable state, but have been wanting a few more options which the FM9 seems to perfectly address. I'll use the FM3 has my at home rig and bring it as a back-up when gigging.

I'll be moving to the FM9. I have made the 3-buttons with a stand-in switch work, but it's still not my preference. The FM3/FC6 combination was just too big. I know the FM9 isn't much smaller than that pair, but it hits the sweet spot for me. I'll probably give the FM3 to our Worship Leader. He has a Headrush unit and those are terrible.
I was under the impression that the size of this was almost identical to the fm3/fc6 combo. It’s the main reason I’m probably not changing. If it were about three inches narrower I could make it work.

Back
Top Bottom