Static Noise, how to get rid of it?

I found something new out! When I am turning the breaker for the lights on, I hear a short "click" noise. This "click" does not appear with the other breakers. It does make no difference if the breaker is on or off for the overall noise tho

EDIT: I hear the click through the speakers, I dont mean the mechanical clicking noise.
You probably just have 1 breaker that's emitting a spark large enough to be picked up as emi through your gear. It's probably not an issue.

It could also be coming from something that breaker is powering. To rule out either, turn off everything that breaker is supplying electricity to, then turn it off again, and see if you still hear it.

If you still hear it, the next thing to do would be to disconnect the wire from the breaker, which I don't advise you to do unless you know what you're doing. And again, if you still hear the noise, then it is the breaker causing it. And should probably be replaced.

Closing/opening any electrical connection causes a spark. As the contacts get close, the electrons will jump across that gap.

Ahhh I see! I just tested again with my batterie amp and only the guitar cable, the noise gets very loud if I get closer to a street lantern. Maybe that is the reason.

Reactions: Rex
Ahhh I see! I just tested again with my batterie amp and only the guitar cable, the noise gets very loud if I get closer to a street lantern. Maybe that is the reason.
Cool! Progress!

Now approach another streetlamp, and see if you get the same behavior. If you don't, call the city and let them know they have a faulty streetlamp.

Now approach another streetlamp, and see if you get the same behavior.
I just did that. The noise gets progressively louder the higher I hold the cable. We have bridge over our train rails and the noise there is like a 50hz humm, the high pitched is completly away. There is some point before the bridge where it is the loudest overall but I cant find the reason for it.
The street lamp may be faulty because under it the noise gets louder too.

I just did that. The noise gets progressively louder the higher I hold the cable. We have bridge over our train rails and the noise there is like a 50hz humm, the high pitched is completly away. There is some point before the bridge where it is the loudest overall but I cant find the reason for it.
Nah, you're just picking up the AC cycles. Germany is on 50 Hz.

I dont mean the AC cycles, those are clearly audible on the bridge through the amp. The noise I am getting in the apartment is the loudest in front of the bridge, the AC 50hz noise is a lot deeper.

If the train is electric, that can be a serious source of noise. Electric train systems have to supply many thousands of watts of power through sliding contacts that move whenever the train moves. And that’s a kilometers-long radiating antenna, which might explain some of the nondirectionality you’ve seen. Also, close to the rail, the 59 Hz signal may be so strong that it’s overwhelming the higher-frequency interference.

Test one more street lamp. It helps if you can point out the difference between two of them when you’re trying to get someone to fix it.

Test one more street lamp. It helps if you can point out the difference between two of them when you’re trying to get someone to fix it.
Did that, the noise is at every lamp the same. The only thing that makes a difference in noise is the hight, the same as in my apartment.
thousands of watts of power through sliding contacts that move whenever the train moves.
I read that the train is running 750V D.C.

I am not saying that you are doing this but I noticed it a lot on axexchange as well as several presets.
Bottom line is that Drive blocks can add noise.
For best results and best tone in my opinion start with the basics. Amp and a cab block. Drive that amp. use modifiers in scene changes instead of drive blocks.

P.S. Drive blocks are usefull and must be used for some tones. You just need to be aware of the noise level with some drive pedals and may need to use a gate or expander.

I disagree - drive blocks don’t add noise - they amplify noise that is sent to their input. And OP has no noise with guitar volume down, so clearly the noise is caused by the guitar not any drive blocks.

Back
Top Bottom