Starwards IV. Ambient preset.

I’d like to see a “The making of Starwards IV” video...

...I think this preset should be in the factory presets and I think Fractal should have a library of such videos....

...it’d be cool if we had a “solo” capability...
Firstly, I'm glad and flattered that you've been moved by this preset. That means a lot to me; that people can enjoy and maybe be inspired by my efforts.

This preset has been a long process in the making - a year or so at least as I revisit it every few months and publish a new edit. So a 'making of' could really only show the early conception and a point in time of a 'finished' version (that will probably keep evolving). But your request is noted, would be fun to do, and is something I will consider for the future, definitely.

When I first bought an Axe-FX some 9 or 10 years ago, I already had reasonable experience with modellers. The early Zoom stuff, DigiTech, Roland VG's et al. So the concept of amp, cab and effects sims was familiar to me. I had heard that the Fractal Audio gear was best in class so I wanted in. And I wasn't disappointed. But what I was really floored by initially were the ambient factory presets. I would sit for hours with them to discover, dissect and create. Many of my earliest Axe-FX based videos are centred around these. My childlike sense of discovery which I've never lost (and I'm closer to 60 than 50) was and still is completely entranced by them. I've always loved fantasy and epic-ness and these deliver big time in those areas.

The Axe-FX to me is like a huge box of possibility, potential, discovery and invention. All of the blocks are there, it's just up to you how you use them. My imagination is often inspired not by itself when using the Axe but by the blocks themselves: "How would it sound if I stuck a stereo tremolo after a reverse delay and fed it into a panning phaser with one side of the tremolo reverse phased? I have no idea, but I can try it." So I do. And if it has an intriguing and pleasant result, it stays and I move on to another experiment or find something else to pop into the chain. There's no more science or thinking in it than that, really. I know some of my stuff seems complicated and scientifically considered, but really it's just a sort of sonic anarchic design that has resulted in something that I think is OK. Then I share it and move on. The real scientists are Simeon, Matt, Yek - people on that level. And, of course, Cliff, who makes everything possible.

Cheers. More to come.

Firstly, I'm glad and flattered that you've been moved by this preset. That means a lot to me; that people can enjoy and maybe be inspired by my efforts.

This preset has been a long process in the making - a year or so at least as I revisit it every few months and publish a new edit. So a 'making of' could really only show the early conception and a point in time of a 'finished' version (that will probably keep evolving). But your request is noted, would be fun to do, and is something I will consider for the future, definitely.

When I first bought an Axe-FX some 9 or 10 years ago, I already had reasonable experience with modellers. The early Zoom stuff, DigiTech, Roland VG's et al. So the concept of amp, cab and effects sims was familiar to me. I had heard that the Fractal Audio gear was best in class so I wanted in. And I wasn't disappointed. But what I was really floored by initially were the ambient factory presets. I would sit for hours with them to discover, dissect and create. Many of my earliest Axe-FX based videos are centred around these. My childlike sense of discovery which I've never lost (and I'm closer to 60 than 50) was and still is completely entranced by them. I've always loved fantasy and epic-ness and these deliver big time in those areas.

The Axe-FX to me is like a huge box of possibility, potential, discovery and invention. All of the blocks are there, it's just up to you how you use them. My imagination is often inspired not by itself when using the Axe but by the blocks themselves: "How would it sound if I stuck a stereo tremolo after a reverse delay and fed it into a panning phaser with one side of the tremolo reverse phased? I have no idea, but I can try it." So I do. And if it has an intriguing and pleasant result, it stays and I move on to another experiment or find something else to pop into the chain. There's no more science or thinking in it than that, really. I know some of my stuff seems complicated and scientifically considered, but really it's just a sort of sonic anarchic design that has resulted in something that I think is OK. Then I share it and move on. The real scientists are Simeon, Matt, Yek - people on that level. And, of course, Cliff, who makes everything possible.

Cheers. More to come.
Not only do you have serious skills at creating presets, and playing, Brett - but your writing skills are also up there with the best.

I'd like a video explaining how they utilize 3 or 4 lines of grid to build a preset. Mine are almost 2 lines tops (I think I have one preset where there's 3, but it's still a small chain).

I'd like a video explaining how they utilize 3 or 4 lines of grid to build a preset. Mine are almost 2 lines tops (I think I have one preset where there's 3, but it's still a small chain).
Roam around the factory ambient presets or look at this preset; Several blocks in parallel with each other quickly use the vertical space. It’s imagining how they’re going to sound in parallel, or several groups of parallel blocks chained together, that I’m working on. I think it’s mostly learning and an experience thing, and tweaking a preset over time.

Burgs is the man! Can't wait for the next one. Between Leon, Brett and AB, life is good!! Oh, I forgot that loser Cliff. Haha, that's a joke for those who don't have a sense of humor.

Brett, congrats for all your vids and presets: always have a bunch of yours in my AFX3 :grinning:
a side question: I have Eris 5, and you have the R80. Do you recommend the R80 or the R65 ok to have a nice AFX3 monitoring+backing track (I have too sub of 10 & 12 and some 12 wedge stereo).
But just want to optimize my desk monitors...$
Thanks Brett ;)

Brett, congrats for all your vids and presets: always have a bunch of yours in my AFX3 :grinning:
a side question: I have Eris 5, and you have the R80. Do you recommend the R80 or the R65 ok to have a nice AFX3 monitoring+backing track (I have too sub of 10 & 12 and some 12 wedge stereo).
But just want to optimize my desk monitors...$
Thanks Brett ;)
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you're finding a use and/or enjoying my presets. They're great fun to build.

I have to confess to being very inexperienced where desktop monitors are concerned. Since 2009 the only ones I've used have been the old Blue Sky Media Desk 2.1 system. They were good but not consistent with what I was hearing from my CLR's which is what I use when voicing stage presets. So I went for R80s because they seemed to have a decent reputation, have much larger drivers, no sub and are made by PreSonus who make the Quantum soundcard I use and love. I'm not disappointed, they're a major step up for me and are by far a closer sounding speaker to my CLR's than the Blue Sky's ever were. I have zero experience with the Eris 5 or R65's so I can't comment, I'm sorry. So the R80's: highly recommended. Cheers.

Thanks Brett for your answer. I read on forums the R65 & R80 have some "hiss": do you hear that too ?
Nice WE to you :)

Finally upgraded to Cygnus and got to take this preset for a spin.
W O W ! ! Color me impressed as hell!
I really appreciate the way each scene fits together - it lends itself well to a thematic composition. And of course, your naming resonates with me as I am currently in the middle of a reread of The Silmarillion. Yer speaking my language brother!

Thank you for the preset and the great presentation.

While listening to it, this memory from the past came to my mind:

This preset sounds quite lush!
If anyone knows of any other places online to get ambient meditative patches, please do let me know. There seems to be a scarcity in much needed etherial pads.

Ow wow,

While jamming with backingtracks from youtube, i offten go through several presets to find another tone. When i arrive on a preset like this one, i can totally lose track of all around me and get lost in the space of sounds.

Feels kind of nerdy to share this, but with headphones on, a burning Padmini scentstick "spiritual guide red = recommended" I can easily meditate for an hour and then somehow wake up and feel refreshed. Its something else than just bashing the low B

This preset sounds amazing thank you @Burgs for sharing the preset and the inspirational video.

Cheers

Last edited:
Ow wow,

While jamming with backingtracks from youtube, i offten go through several presets to find another tone. When i arrive on a preset like this one, i can totally lose track of all around me and get lost in the space of sounds.

Feels kind of nerdy to share this, but with headphones on, a burning Padmini scentstick "spiritual guide red = recommended" I can easily meditate for an hour and then somehow wake up and feel refreshed. Its something else than just bashing the low B

This preset sounds amazing thank you @Burgs for sharing the preset and the inspirational video.

Cheers
I'm very glad I can help give you some good vibes. Axelman8. That means a lot to me. More to come. Thanks for taking the time to comment. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom