Standard/Ultra firmware 11

Its as if the new power amp model is interacting with the cabs differently.
JWW

Yea you do get a sense that there is something very different operating 'under the hood'...I played with the 1987X amp and other low/med gain/non master amps for some time this evening and was getting the best Marshall tones to date with the Ultra...I spent some time tuning in the PA in my pre-11 patches looking for 'that Marshall kick' you feel in the right hand while picking, and V11 just really works for me since there is 'something' I wasn't able to get before in it...

Last edited:
FW11 is doing good things to clean tones, too. My Shiver Cln patch really sings to me now.

Also took out a bunch of PEQ blocks that ended up being unnecessary (was using them as high/low pass filters for blocking frequencies in the extreme ends of the spectrum).

Very cool update. I agree with ElectricPhase. Anyone still bitching hasn't tried the new firmware yet.

+1, awesome update! Thanks Cliff. Removed a lot of PEQ blocks, sounds better now without them.

+1 on the improvements in FW11. I have only got about an hour of play time on it, but I was working on a new patch based on the Brown sim, and noticed right off that it sounded better than where I had left it prior to the firmware update. Looking forward to spending more time with it. Thanks, Cliff and everyone at Fractal :)

Yeah, I think the biggest thing for me with this one, is I am not doing as much EQing on the low end on my heavy rock patches. I could get the sound I wanted with 10.x and was perfectly happy w/ it but 11 is requiring less tweak time for me.

Just got back from practice and I have to say firmware 11 sounds awesome. It feels and sounds so much more like a real amp especially at high volumes. Cliff nice work once again.

Last edited:
See... people were bitching but I did what I could. I didn't need to update the old products and most companies probably wouldn't have. I've been working 12 hours a days, seven days a week on the II but I spent a few days porting what I could of the G2 power amp modeling over to the Axe-Fx and Ultra as a gesture to the community.

I'm actually quite proud of the new power amp modeling and I'm glad to hear it's being well received.

I spent an hour with it tonight and went through some of the Marshall amps. It really did feel like I had all of those amps in the room with me. Very natural. I was able to disconnect myself from it more. You know, instead of analyzing the sound as I was playing, I was just playing.

See... people were bitching but I did what I could. I didn't need to update the old products and most companies probably wouldn't have. I've been working 12 hours a days, seven days a week on the II but I spent a few days porting what I could of the G2 power amp modeling over to the Axe-Fx and Ultra as a gesture to the community.

I'm actually quite proud of the new power amp modeling and I'm glad to hear it's being well received.
Unfortunately, you can't make everyone happy because there's a few boobs who are never going to be happy. Always appreciate your hard work every time I play my guitar, Cliff. V11 is a kick in the pants!

Definitely very well received Cliff, and very much appreciated too!! The updates in v11.0 sound fantastic!

Now take a vacation already. :D ;)

The tightening of the low end really helps. I had more time to spend with it today and its a great improvement. It doesn't change the character but it allows clarity that could be achieved through tweaking.

You should be proud Cliff. You've done so much for your products and been taking feedback from the forums and basically gave us what we wanted. I don't know about other companies, but I haven't heard of Mesa or Peavey making a head or cab because their users requested certain things that they liked and put it together. The only ones I know of are just for artists. I'm pretty sure not all of us who use the axe are signed artists yet you listened and delivered. I know you're working to satisfy us and all, but you gotta rest bud. We don't need our star player cracking under pressure or worse.

I was playing with a factory-preset 'Master of Muppets' and it sounds so tight after upgrading to V11. I have tried this preset before and it was just meh. Thanks Cliff!

I'm glad you did it's like a little appetizer for the AxeFx II. I can't wait to get my hands on one. If the Ultra sounds this good with only a piece of the new modelling i can't wait to have the full deal. By the way the rest of the band says it sounds great too lol.

Big thumbs-up here too for v.11. One of my favorite patches is a Marsha HBE + drive block + tons of chorus & delay thingy for that sort of highly saturated Zappa lead tone. It tended to be indistinct on the lower notes, but not anymore. You can hear the detail and shape of the notes now even through all that gain and effects. I declare it a winner, and I haven't even gotten to the clean patches yet.

If that's just a taste of the Axe-FX II, well, I guess I'd better start selling some surplus gear and saving my pennies...

Cliff, you've bent over backwards for the community in the past, and as-usual it is much appreciated. I was already very happy with V10, so a big thanks for the extra effort to put that last bit of improvements into the old platform, even thought that may contradict the traditional business approach of planned obsolescence.

I do plan to buy an Axe-FX II when stock is available, so I guess that's a different kind of thank you as well...

Back
Top Bottom