Standard/Ultra firmware 11

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
Been playing with FM11 on my Standard. It sounds really good, and made me think "maybe I dont NEED Axe-FX 2" lol.

The only disappointment - no more amp sims in there :(

nice to see Cliff gave us all something new, not just those with loads of money to play with.

You said pretty much exactly what I'm thinking.

Any current owners who may be bitching almost certainly haven't tried the new firmware yet. It's not just a minor tweak, people!

Does anyone have a description of what's new and different in v11?
The release notes seem to not have been updated with the download.

The high end should be improved.

On the outside it may not look like much of an update but some good stuff under the hood.

I just edited like 10 patches...took out all of the filter blocks I was using for high gain, even with the Euro Uber model. The flubbiness is pretty much gone. Also took out a bunch of PEQ blocks that ended up being unnecessary (was using them as high/low pass filters for blocking frequencies in the extreme ends of the spectrum).

Very cool update. I agree with ElectricPhase. Anyone still bitching hasn't tried the new firmware yet.

I just edited like 10 patches...took out all of the filter blocks I was using for high gain, even with the Euro Uber model. The flubbiness is pretty much gone. Also took out a bunch of PEQ blocks that ended up being unnecessary (was using them as high/low pass filters for blocking frequencies in the extreme ends of the spectrum).

Very cool update. I agree with ElectricPhase. Anyone still bitching hasn't tried the new firmware yet.

+1 Just upgraded. The low end flub is pretty much gone. I removed a few PEQ blocks as well in a few patches. Nice work.

first of all, thank you cliff for the awesome new firmware!!!

standard and ultra have everything a guitaris may ever need IMHO.
i also don't understand this "i want more because more is better"
attitude. i played with FW11 today and was blown away by the much bigger
but cleaner low end. i don't need more amps, i don't need more effects and i
doubt that anybody else does...

the only thing that makes me G.A.S for axe 2 is the cab section,
i'm a bit sad that this can't be realized on the standard/ultra.
if i had the chance i'd throw away most of the amps and effect out
of the axe just to get a more realistic cab simulation!

I'm a happy camper with my Standard over here! Sounds so much more natural from top to bottom. It feels better to play the amp sims too!

The low end now sounds super. Much tighter, more definition to the notes. Had to be careful and do a fare amount of tweaking when using neck pickups with some patches, not anymore.

I put FW11 on my Ultra last night, and test played a couple of my favourite presets. Definitely sounds different. Jury is still out on whether it is better sounding, but these are just stock presets that I recently tweaked for my Verve monitor, so I am pretty sure I will have to do a bit more fine tuning on them.

Like I said, I only tried 2 of my stock presets - haven't tried rolling through the others on there that I use from time to time.

This is actually the EXACT reason that I won't be upgrading to the Axe II in a hurry - there is still SO much for me to learn on THIS model that I think I will spend years on it before I can full stretch it's current capacity...

+1 on the positive reviews. In spite of being bummed about the missing Jose Marshall, I honestly think this update addressed one of the only two real problems with the existing Axe that I've found so far (the boomy low end thing).

I need to verify the other issue (poor drive models and/or unrealistic response of amp models to input distortion blocks (I don't know which is actually at fault)).

It's really obvious to me. I don't have to worry about the 7-8k region AT ALL anymore . I can do everything with just the amp controls now. Fantastic!

The high end should be improved.

On the outside it may not look like much of an update but some good stuff under the hood.

Yes, I gave it a try also tonight, unfortunately at very low volume it looks as if I'll have to tweak around a bit for certain patches. But definitely the lows and highs are different - more soft high end. Looking forward to push it a bit more tomorrow evening to kick the best out of it. As for Axe-2, I guess I'll wait for Axe-3 to buy it 30% off...in a few years.

thanx very much cliff

oh yes, the low end is much more tighter and highs sweetens more (tested with ash tele/bardens) - with a few patches i was with the lf conrols relative high (sometimes over 300) and lost a little bit punch - now i can go lots deeper and it´s tighter and puchier - very nice

i like fm 11

Either I have a placebo or my patches sound cleaner.

I know what you mean - fuzz patches sound more organic, like there's more interaction between the pedal and the amp. the distortion has more depth and sounds dirtier, in a good way :) hard to describe, fun to listen to, a joy to play!

thanks! :)

I just barely tried it as I have to learn some songs tonight, so not much time to fart around. The last amp sim I messed with was the Marsh BE. Without anything to compare it to, since I don't use the amp sims on a regular basis, seemed nice and responsive. When I switched to the JCM 800, which was the amp sim I had intended on using and passed on since it wasn't cutting it at the time, seemed a lot better than I remembered. I'm looking forward to spending some time with it this weekend and really seeing what it can do. I actually have an 800 that I lent out with the intention of selling it. I'll get it back and do some serious comparisons.

I fully admit that I am the wrong person to judge, as I am not just looking for "a good sound" by rather "my" sound. Harder to achieve when your amp isn't in there. First impressions though, I'm very optimistic. It did "feel" better, I have to admit. Kudos Cliff.

Back
Top Bottom