Stand for Axe rack when using wedges

Ok, thanks for the info.

This could work if I can lock it down so it doesn't rotate.
http://www.studiospares.com/staging/unicol-s2533pc-stand/invt/407050/

That's a pretty big chunk of change.

Are you looking for something similar to this?

IMG_2071.jpg

It's just a homemade rack that's mounted to an old office chair. I added some PVC with some angle iron jammed into it for stablity. So basically you can make it any height you want.

That's a pretty big chunk of change.

Are you looking for something similar to this?

IMG_2071.jpg

It's just a homemade rack that's mounted to an old office chair. I added some PVC with some angle iron jammed into it for stablity. So basically you can make it any height you want.

Price isn't my driver here- if it is a couple of hundred quid then that is fine.
Cheaper is better, obviously but I'd rather have something that works, rather than something that doesn't.

Your solution looks interesting.
How stable is it?

This is for live use for me- I do some gigs sitting and some standing so the height adjust would be great but would sacrifice the height adjust for more stability.

Price isn't my driver here- if it is a couple of hundred quid then that is fine.
Cheaper is better, obviously but I'd rather have something that works, rather than something that doesn't.

Your solution looks interesting.
How stable is it?

This is for live use for me- I do some gigs sitting and some standing so the height adjust would be great but would sacrifice the height adjust for more stability.
It'd be a lot more stable if I have used aluminum or steel tubing, but as it is right now you can make it wiggle. I've done a lot of testing (because I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to tip over) and even though it looks top heavy it'd take an awful lot of force to get it to tip over. I can shove on it pretty hard and the wheels never get close to leaving the ground. Basically if you got it over it's because you made a serious effort to do so.

I use the Quick Lock QL 400. It works perfectly for single or double spaced rack devices (I've even used a 4 space but that's pushing it). You can put a 2-4 space rack in it to achieve the more expensive results you see above. It's quite stable, wheels lock and it beaks down into 3 relatively small pieces. I love it: $70 new, less on Ebay

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/files/QL-400_m.jpg

Others may have different needs, but for myself, I like to be able to tweak and use the tuner without stooping over. Also, things on the floor get kicked.

Wow... great thread... I'm also having an issue with getting the Axe-fx more "eye" level... I used to put it on top of my two cabs but it's very wobbly because the 6U is super heavy and a bit too wide... a buddy of mine brought over his new 12 space rackmount with wheels and putting my rack on top of that was awesome but definitely not practical... I was reading this thread and saw that some of you guys recommended the keyboard stand but I can definitely see the thing toppling over... especially during a gig with hyperactive band members... at home I usually had my Axe-fx on my keyboard stool, so I decided to put it on that for now... definitely not high enough but at least it gets it closer to "eye" level that having it sideways on the floor... definitely looking forward to see what you guys come up with.

412NRIPqwJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edit: Just read the other thread and saw that Justin recommended the Quiklok WS-540... definitely need to look into this...

WS540RAR.jpg
WS540.jpg

Last edited:
Others may have different needs, but for myself, I like to be able to tweak and use the tuner without stooping over. Also, things on the floor get kicked.
:) Each to their own, but how about a floor controller (MFC, FBC1010,..?) and then you can put the Axe wherever.. no need for elevation. I [mostly] put the Axe (in it's rack) on top of my PA's 14-space amp rack (which is to my right off the stage and WELL away from crowd), then put my Atomic FRFR on top of that pointed ACROSS stage. MFC is hooked up on floor, so no real need to ever look at the Axe. I have put the Axe on it's side on the floor before - behind/to side of the amp rack - well away from people.
I have my stage monitor and mic stand in front of the MFC, so beer spills are likely to only get as far as the monitor. Based on prior experience, we absolutely do not provide any ledges or horizontal space at front of stage that folks can use to place liquid containers.

:) Each to their own, but how about a floor controller (MFC, FBC1010,..?) and then you can put the Axe wherever.. no need for elevation.
I have a floor controller, but it doesn't let me tweak. Most don't.

Just read the other thread and saw that Justin recommended the Quiklok WS-540... definitely need to look into this...
I think you'll like the WS-540. It's rated to hold 300 lbs. Nothing else comes close. Stay away from the WS-550 for rack use, though. It's just too wide, and can't be properly configured to hold a rack. I think the 540's width is just right.

Hi James, Here are 2 stands that go to 36 " high and close to a 21 " width which will hold most racks (I use a 4U Odyssey with trolley attached). One folds ( twice the price ) and one doesn't. I keep my FBT 15MA underneath behind it on stage. I put the AXFX with the trolley side down and open the trolley a few inches for safety. Compact and sturdy. http://www.musicarts.com/Quik-Lok-KDS450MA-Profile-Multi-Adjustable-Keyboard-Stand-583670-i1476619.mac and the folding one http://www.musicarts.com/ProLine-ProLine-PL700Z-Folding-Z-Keyboard-Stand-454308-i1167840.mac

I have all kinds of stands and by far THE strongest, most stable unit I've found is this one;

002-2.jpg

I found it and the wheels for it at Lowes.

I have a floor controller, but it doesn't let me tweak. Most don't.
Understood - and that throws a whole new perspective on the need for easy access.
I do not tweak at gigs as I've found (with other rigs) that I often make things sound worse rather than better. Many factors affect that, from Fletcher-Munson, to stage size, room size, environment, humidity, temperature, adult beverage consumption, crowd size and so on. Too many variables that change from gig to gig!!
It's one thing I've learnt to live with using modelers.. especially with combo stuff where the cab sims go to "line out", but not to speakers, so what you hear is NOT what you get out front. As a result, I do all my tweaking at rehearsals (or home) and that lets me concentrate on my playing at gigs. Since I send OUT1 to FOH, I know the sound out front will be consistent and my ears will adjust to the stage sound after a bit... YMMV

I hear you. Tweaking at gigs is dodgy at best, though it's handy to be able to tweak your monitor level, see your tuner, verify what patch you're on, etc.

On the other hand, tweaking at rehearsal is reason enough for me to want to elevate my rig.

Back
Top Bottom