Stand for Axe rack when using wedges

octatonic

Experienced
Hi all,

I've seen a bunch of people using the Atomic wedges and they tend to balance their Axe on the top of the wedge.
I don't want to do this myself as I have more than just my Axe FX in my rack.

Does anyone know of a collapsable stand that allow the rack to be around hip height or higher and is stable?

Thanks

http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_as2001.htm
129404.jpg

Cheers!
- jonah

I think you'll find that is around knee height, not waist.
Unless you're 3ft tall :)

I currently use a vertical 2x12 so my rig is pretty easy to get to if I need to do a quick level or eq change.
I dont fancy getting down on my knees at some of the place I play- I might stick to the floor.

How stable is a keyboard stand?
I have one of those stands in my storage unit I think- will give it a go.

Last edited:
I actually put my rack on top of a plastic tub that I carry other stuff in.

It's not waist high, but I don't really need to see or touch the front panels when I use it.
I just want it up high enough so the front panels and fragile knobs don't get hit by a wayward foot.

I tried a couple of stands but couldn't find one that would place my 5 space rack waist high
without either being scary wobbly or having a huge footprint....

The closest I found was like the one Jonah posted turned around so that the long fingers were under the rack.

I couldn't convince myself it wasn't a disaster waiting to happen, though.

Last edited:
i use a bog standard keyboard stand. puts the axe at just the right height and it's very stable. i also have a small quicklok amp / speaker stand that i use sometimes

Just tried the keyboard stand.
Definitely not stable enough- someone (ie me) will definitely knock it over at some point.
The amp stand won't really work either - I don't think it is deep enough.

A keyboard bench might be a compromise but it wouldn't be high enough really- I guess part of the reason I use a trad speaker cabinet is really because it is a place to put the rack.

I would never put my Axe-Fx above a wedge before me. The risk of beer going all over it is too big.

I'm considering having a vertical 2x12 speaker cab made up with the speakers (or maybe just the bottom speaker) angled upwards slightly (a bit like a Marshall 4x12 top). The SKB will be sitting flat on top.

Alternatively, you might consider putting heavy duty velcro on top of your angled back cab and bottom of your rack unit....?

I would never put my Axe-Fx above a wedge before me. The risk of beer going all over it is too big.

Yes, I agree.
So far I think the best option for me is going to be this:
151470.jpg

It only gets 60cm off the ground but it is better than nothing.
I am going to look at DJ equipment sites and see if they have a collapsable thin bench.
It doesn't need to be too large- the main thing is stability and light weight/portability.

I was thinking about this the other day. Anyone know of a rack case/bag with something like a stand or feet so that you would have the protection and the stand in one package? I think I saw it a long time ago in the old forums but I cannot find it.

I'm considering having a vertical 2x12 speaker cab made up with the speakers (or maybe just the bottom speaker) angled upwards slightly (a bit like a Marshall 4x12 top). The SKB will be sitting flat on top.

Alternatively, you might consider putting heavy duty velcro on top of your angled back cab and bottom of your rack unit....?

I don't have any problem with my vertical 2x12 but I am just playing around with running a wedge based system and DI to front of house.
My vertical 2x12 doesn't need more stability- but if I have am running a couple of wedges then I don't need to bring it.
I am looking to find a stand for when I don't have my vertical 2x12.

I don't have any problem with my vertical 2x12 but I am just playing around with running a wedge based system and DI to front of house.
My vertical 2x12 doesn't need more stability- but if I have am running a couple of wedges then I don't need to bring it.
I am looking to find a stand for when I don't have my vertical 2x12.

SO would you say that angling off one of the speakers isn't actually necessary?

No, the vertical 2x12 already has an angled speaker.

zilla_cab.jpg

What I am doing is splitting the rig up so instead of using this cab and the VHT power amp all the time (which is heavy) I am using a FRFR system with JUST a couple of powered Atomic wedges.
If I go to that I will have a 4u rack (Axe fx , echoplex and power conditioner) that needs to sit *somewhere*.
That *somewhere* is what is up for consideration.
There is no point to modifying the vertical 2x12 because a) it already has an angled speaker and b) because it will be at home.

I'd seen a pic of your cab somewhere else - it's really very nice-looking, but I can see it's large. The VHT is heavy - 38 lbs?

I have seen some setups where units are in padded cases piggy-backed onto rear-facing monitors - and vulnerable to the audience. A similar set-up could be used for a forward-facing monitor, or angled-back Atomic cab on a stand - but even in a light padded bag rather than SKB or flight case, it's still going to be top-heavy, so you're going to have to put an SKB or flight case rack underneath the Atomic, which would look odd.

I expect you've considered a Matrix XT800 solid state amp - less than a third of the weight of the VHT (3.78kg), with two 1x12 cabs? I think DADA has a very good solution like this, although not using a class D amp.

But sorry, this is off-topic.

I'd seen a pic of your cab somewhere else - it's really very nice-looking, but I can see it's large. The VHT is heavy - 38 lbs?

I have seen some setups where units are in padded cases piggy-backed onto rear-facing monitors - and vulnerable to the audience. A similar set-up could be used for a forward-facing monitor, or angled-back Atomic cab on a stand - but even in a light padded bag rather than SKB or flight case, it's still going to be top-heavy, so you're going to have to put an SKB or flight case rack underneath the Atomic, which would look odd.

I expect you've considered a Matrix XT800 solid state amp - less than a third of the weight of the VHT (3.78kg), with two 1x12 cabs? I think DADA has a very good solution like this, although not using a class D amp.

But sorry, this is off-topic.

Yes, a bit off-topic.
As far as this thread goes I am only interested in finding an appropriate stand at waist height for a 4u rack so I can use powered wedges.
The matrix isn't part of this solution- I might end up building a rig around that later but it depends on what Andy can do regarding the high frequency damping and overall response time.
I spent an hour on the phone with designer of the Matrix earlier in the week and gave him my thoughts on what he can do to tailor it to Axe users.
For now though it isn't something I am going to commit to.

I just want an appropriate rack stand- that is it.

Yes, a bit off-topic.
As far as this thread goes I am only interested in finding an appropriate stand at waist height for a 4u rack so I can use powered wedges.
The matrix isn't part of this solution- I might end up building a rig around that later but it depends on what Andy can do regarding the high frequency damping and overall response time.
I spent an hour on the phone with designer of the Matrix earlier in the week and gave him my thoughts on what he can do to tailor it to Axe users.
For now though it isn't something I am going to commit to.

I just want an appropriate rack stand- that is it.

Thanks for being so informative.

I think you'll find that is around knee height, not waist.
Unless you're 3ft tall :)

No, I have one of these and it gets taller than knee height... it certainly gets to around waist height, let me if I can find a picture.....

but the problem is still stability.

Back
Top Bottom