Sound engineer has issues with AXE--suggestions?

tallcoolone

Inspired
Sound engineer has issues with AXE **RECAP**

Have a small wedding gig next week in a relatively small room--we are using a new sound guy we've never dealt with before and when I let him know that I wanted to dun direct from my AXL this is what he replied back with:

As for the guitar going direct to the board for its only on stage monitoring,that usually is not a good idea. Without a stage amp to balance the live sound you would be relying on the vocal monitors for both guitar and vocals to fill the stage, and since they will only be facing the band It may cause feedback and actually have to be louder than the vocals to be heard. The guitar pickups facing directly into the monitors speakers and horns usually causes feedback and eq problems. Guitar processors, even though they may sound great in the studio or other controlled settings, are still using speaker simulators which are just different programed eq settings to make them sound like popular amps, There's still nothing like a real mic'd amp to pick up traveling sound waves, due to air moving from the speaker at different levels from each guitarists own unique style of playing. Add in room ambiance stage sound mic placement etc.etc..​

I don't want to sound like a dick, but I also don't want to run one of my 100w tube amps choked down to whisper levels. I already let him know that I would bring my own stage monitor. Suggestions on what to say back?

Last edited:
say "thanks, see you at the gig" - he's trying to sound like he knows what he's talking about (although he spelled ambience wrong) but is obviously not familiar with the AxeFX. Take a monitor, send a line to your speaker and send him a direct line. If your programming is good, he'll "get it" as soon as you start playing the rig.

I guess you might just as well place your monitor behind you, just like a real amp.....might be better for feedback issues. Never thought of this but he might have a point. If you use loud monitoring it can cause feedback on the vocals....

I guess you might just as well place your monitor behind you, just like a real amp.....might be better for feedback issues. Never thought of this but he might have a point. If you use loud monitoring it can cause feedback on the vocals....

I've only actually used the AXE live once and for that I only used stage monitors. Sounded fine, no feedback issues at all and it was a VERY small stage.

Half of what the sound guy said is true, and good advice: you do NOT want to rely on vocal monitors for your on-stage guitar sound and its necessary interaction with the guitar for an "alive" tone and controlled feedback.

The other half (nothing sounds as good as a well-mic'ed cab) is his opinion, and you shall stand by yours.

You can respond to him by saying that he misunderstood you, you do intend to have your own guitar monitor on stage, so no worry about point number 1. As for point number 2, tell him your only way to feed the desk is direct out of the Axe-fx, and it is the best there is, unparalleled. He is welcome to update his opinion afterwards. Metallica's sound guy is in agreement.

Wow, I guess that sound guy doesn't have much experience with the Axe-FX. I have had nothing but compliments from sound engineers on the sound quality and convenience of working with guitarists who have the Axe-Fx. I run direct to the mixing board with no monitor other than the floor monitor. The sound guys are always happy about the low stage volume.

Sounds like he might be a guitarist himself if he is on about air movement and mic placement etc. He probably only knows about the 'other' products, and is refusing to accept that you can simulate a real amp after hearing those products.

Maybe you need to emphasise with him, let him know you will pack a 'spare' amp in the boot of your car if needed, but you would like the chance to try it your way first during sound check before giving in to his methods.

Oh and make sure the spare is a noisy old thing that crackles and showers bright sparks out the back now and then! :p

Half of what the sound guy said is true, and good advice: you do NOT want to rely on vocal monitors for your on-stage guitar sound and its necessary interaction with the guitar for an "alive" tone and controlled feedback.

The other half (nothing sounds as good as a well-mic'ed cab) is his opinion, and you shall stand by yours.

I agree, the first half of what he said makes some sense.......the second half, hmmm....well he ain't heard the AXE!

say "thanks, I guess I won't see you at the gig" - he's trying to sound like he knows what he's talking about (although he spelled ambience wrong) but is obviously not familiar with the AxeFX. Take a monitor, send a line to your speaker and send him a direct line. If your programming is good, he'll "get it" as soon as you start playing the rig.

Fixed it for you.

I also think his statement is part right and part wtf?

If there are other backline amps, trying to crank your guitar in the vocal wedges to compete with the rest of the backline doesn't work well if at all.

A good sound tech can arrange backline amps to fill the stage and the room (if small enough) while still getting a good vocal level in the wedges. Adding a DI only guitar makes this technique harder.

Back
Top Bottom