Sold a guitar. Shipped it via UPS. Receiver claims he did not receive it...

Bringing this thread back up. Buyer claimed he did not receive guitar some months back. UPS had lost it, but tracking showed guitar arrived in Visalia, CA. Buyer's sons name is Derrick which the guitar is now listed on Reverb under Derrick's Studio. Looking closely, I don't think these guitars are the same, but it does seem awful fishy. What do you guys think?

My original listing: https://reverb.com/item/49885066-ibanez-rg3520ze-2009-black

Original buyer: https://reverb.com/shop/jasons-shop-1461

Listing I stumbled across this morning: https://reverb.com/item/58028315-ibanez-rg3520ze-prestige
Not the same guitar. My guess is that after he didn't receive yours he bought a different one.

I always use signature confirmation and insure shipments for full value if it's anything over $200 or so, just to avoid crap like this. I normally end up eating the cost for this but my peace of mind is worth it.

I have both "lost" by UPS as well "I didn't get it" scenario. In both cases 1. Reverb refunded the buyer because he didn't get the guitar and I was able to keep what I got paid for it - regardless of whatever happened to the guitar.

2. Paypal actually refunded the buyer but did not charge me. You can get some justice on a situation like this however, best practice;

-Always require a signature.
-Ship with safe shipping on Reverb - it ensures you won't get scammed.
-Make sure the guitar is insured for the full value - not the current depreciated value.
-DOCUMENT - video, pictures, label, box, packing anything to help your case.

Reverb and Paypal and the shippers are not perfect but they just don't side with buyers regardless. You have to do some work upfront and document what you are sending. Serial numbers, special marks are all important.

Your bank can also help - which unfortunately in one rare case I had to get involved. It took a long time but I did get it resolved. And one time after I initiated a charge back guess what? The guitar showed up. Triple, Quad, Penta document...that is all.

UPS taught me a lesson recently- someone wanted a Peavey decade and I had one sitting in the corner. I didn't even bother to see what they were worth because I knew it was a piece of crap. Turns out that was mistake #1. I sold it for $100 shipped. Weeks later, it is discovered that UPS lost or damaged it. When I shipped it, I had $100 declared value, thinking that was perfect. UPS paid the $100 but didn't refund the shipping, so basically the amp was just gone and I got nothing out of it.

The moral of the story- they do not refund the shipping cost, even if they lose or destroy the item you're shipping.
And also, its not "insurance"- it is "declared value"

I always ship guitars thru FedEx and pay the extra $30 to have them box it, so if anything happens they can't say it was because I didn't package it correctly even though 99% of the time I package guitars better than they do. I always insure for the new or current value price, whichever is higher, so I can replace the item if something happens to it. FedEx doesn't refund the shipping either, only the insured amount but you can fight it with your credit card because you paid for something they did not provide. Just make sure to contact your credit card within 30 days bc FedEx will try to take over 30 days to resolve the issue, so you can't fight it with your credit card.

Yeah, that'd be a no on my end. Paypal will absolutely side with the buyer every time. They could probably send you a video of them stuffing the guitar into a wood chipper, and file a claim with Paypal, and Paypal would still refund their money from your account.

Attachments

• E79AD0D2-61AC-4E17-90B8-7D6D9B3246E0.gif
    E79AD0D2-61AC-4E17-90B8-7D6D9B3246E0.gif
    988.9 KB · Views: 27
I always use signature confirmation and insure shipments for full value if it's anything over $200 or so, just to avoid crap like this. I normally end up eating the cost for this but my peace of mind is worth it.

That would assume that UPS, Fed Ex, etc, actually follow through with getting a signature. I've specifically asked for signatures on stuff I buy, so that it actually gets handed to me instead of left on the porch. Nope. Come home with a $2500 piece of equipment on the porch, and the UPS checked as "signed for by recipient." The drivers, especially these days, are going to do the absolute lowest energy thing they can do. No hassle for them.

I’ve been shipped several high dollar pieces of gear marked signature required, including my Axe-Fx III Mark II, that was just left on my porch without me ever signing a thing. It’s been this way ever since the start of the pandemic.

That would assume that UPS, Fed Ex, etc, actually follow through with getting a signature. I've specifically asked for signatures on stuff I buy, so that it actually gets handed to me instead of left on the porch. Nope. Come home with a $2500 piece of equipment on the porch, and the UPS checked as "signed for by recipient." The drivers, especially these days, are going to do the absolute lowest energy thing they can do. No hassle for them.
I’ve been shipped several high dollar pieces of gear marked signature required, including my Axe-Fx III Mark II, that was just left on my porch without me ever signing a thing. It’s been this way ever since the start of the pandemic.
This is unfortunately all too true. There is a lot of faking the receivers signature going on. As a buyer, I always have my packages held somewhere so I can go pick them up and they are not easy pickings for the porch pirates. As a seller, I believe the signature having been recorded does provide some legal proof of delivery, even though the driver probably faked it. I don't know how that would play out in the event of a contested delivery.

This is unfortunately all too true. There is a lot of faking the receivers signature going on. As a buyer, I always have my packages held somewhere so I can go pick them up and they are not easy pickings for the porch pirates. As a seller, I believe the signature having been recorded does provide some legal proof of delivery, even though the driver probably faked it. I don't know how that would play out in the event of a contested delivery.

My favorite, and this has happened a few times, is the truck rolls up to the house. I see the driver go in the back. Then comes out of the back, gets in the driver's seat and takes off. A few seconds later, I get delivery notification on my phone, saying, left at front door, or side yard. Always fun to deal with.

So, what, we all have to install motion-activated cameras on our houses now? Or set up a sting operation to get these drivers to get actual, real signatures!

Back
Top Bottom