Smilefan says "Goodbye"!!

Thanks for walking the extra mile on the forum so many times, Smilefan.

I REALLY appreciated all the amp/artist/tone backgrounds you gave. Each installment was like a lecture from a collegiate course in Guitar Tone History. I've never seen that information compiled so clearly and relevantly before.

Also, you more than anyone have helped me understand what the parameters actually DO in my AxeFxII.

Please don't go.
I'll make you cookies.

But if that doesn't work for you, I understand. Thanks, and the best of luck with your new venture!

I was late to the party because i got my AFII at the end of December and have only now finished building my basic presets.
I noticed the "Goodbye" thread and started reading the Smilefan Patches Threads.
All I can say is that Im sorry I wasn't able to follow this from the beginning and participate more because these threads are just awesome.
Thanks for all the efforts and information. I'll give them all a try and learn as much as I can.
Thanks again and good luck with your future endeavours.

Darn, right before I was going to ask Smilefan for help with the rotary to get more of the classic Joe Walsh type sound...

Smilefan -- I'll add my thanks to all the others, your thread(s) were some of the first I'd look at every time I come here.

As for the mystery company, Carvin might be a good guess. They have just about everything except some type of modeling, and are located here in So Cal, as well. Other than that it could be one of the major rack companies like Eventide, or even someone like UAD (they dropped their Nigel 'modeler' quite a while ago, and have all that DSP power on their cards...)

TT
Carvin sounds like a great guess...

Carvin sounds like a great guess...

My money is on Carvin so if someone starts a pool I'll buy that for a dollar!

Smilefan, thank you for your insightful, educational and thoughtful posts man. Best of luck with the new opportunity as they are lucky to have you brothaman!

It could be a SW company instead of traditional music gear manufactures. Native Instruments and IK Multimedia might be good candidates.

It is difficult to see any traditional music gear manufacture thinking that they could come up with a clearly more competitive product than AXE-FX II is today. In addition, the company would have to build up active community around their new product. That's not an easy task.

Late late to the party - and feeling sad :( but also exited for the future - for you and us.

Best guess? i would say Eventide or Lexicon as they have the FX history, maybe TC? have they done any modelling yet? If its a traditional amp company, possible Egnator? they have the modular stuff already so not a big leap there - though no software histtory so?? same goes for Carvin with the software thing.

Honestly I couldt really guess any more than that, but its exiting never the less.

Pity to see another great forum member leaving the arena. But I must admit that I am pretty curious which new company is entering the modeling market.
You know it's just a matter of time: Behringer - the copier of all copiers. (That's a guess - not a scoop). Available at your big box online mega-retailer soon for $299.

Last edited:
Behringer already has the, er, "highly acclaimed" vAmp line, so I'd say someone newer to the modeling game.

I tend more and more towards Eventide/Lexicon/etc., but I can see NI or IK just building a dedicated box to hold their existing software as well.

What I *REALLY* want is for them to hang it up and give us back our Smilefan!!!

TT

Hey smiledude. You could just register in another name and go on in your off-duty hours!! The company doesn't own your leisure time as well, do they? If you would inadvertently blab something about your current exploits, we promise we won't tell.

Heck, WE wouldn't even know who you'd be. .

I do. But yeah.

First of all congrats on the gig. I am lucky enough to work for a manufacturer in another industry. If you are working with a company or product you believe in and are passionate about it can be very fulfilling and rewarding. I work for a company of whom I was a customer since 88 and I have worked for them since 97 with a 3 year hiatus. Even during tha hiatus I used their products every day.

I would think smilefan would be excited about the potential of any new product he became involved in. I will wait patiently to see who the manufacturer is and the likelihood of my buying one is pretty high if it has some smilefan fingerprints on it!

I also understand the new gig's position on your posting here.

I have barely scratched the surface of your patch threads. They are incredibly educational and helpful. My next step is downloading you adrenalinnn III type patches and analyze them. I want to try and simplify my rig and if the Axe can handle most of what I use the AIII for that would rock.

Best of luck again!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom