Smilefan says "Goodbye"!!

Best of luck man!

Hey Smilefan,

I'm really gonna miss your awesome contributions (great presets and entertaining and informative anecdotal-laden gear-history essays) to the Fractal Audio Systems Forums! Your knowledge and enthusiasm for this sort of thing was obvious to me (and apparently to the company who hired you - LOL!) All the best bro...Thanks for sharing your wisdom and infectious attitude for all things guitar-tone!

Bill

Congrats on the new gig. They're lucky to have you. I've really appreciated your contributions and presets. I've learned a lot from you. All the best.

I’m not surprised at all. The creativity and knowledge you’ve displayed
here make you stand out like a sore thumb. Congratulations, Smilefan!

Your absence here will leave a huge gaping hole in customer
support, education, and general enthusiasm for Axe II.

So many of us Axe II owners are deeply indebted to you for all you’ve
done on our behalf, so unselfishly.

Its ironic that so many here appreciated you, and even one of Fractal’s own
competitors recognized your value. Yet, not so much as a word
of acknowledgement from Fractal Audio to you. Maybe what you did here
was irrelevant to them, but at least your very obvious importance to US,
their customers, should have been worth a ‘thank you’.

Godspeed Smilefan. This couldn’t have happened to a more deserving
person. We are going to REALLY miss you.

Best of luck to you! A sincere personal thanks for imparting your wealth of knowledge and generosity *sniff-sniff* to this community. Your patch thread was the one I looked forward to most at helping me with my patches and informing us of other guitarists' rigs. You'll be missed! *sobs uncontrollably* ... rock on!

Hey smiledude. You could just register in another name and go on in your off-duty hours!! The company doesn't own your leisure time as well, do they? If you would inadvertently blab something about your current exploits, we promise we won't tell.

Heck, WE wouldn't even know who you'd be.

And maybe, you'd already thought of that and are here already...

And you really shouldn't sell your Axe-Fx. You need it to compare the new products to. And if you should happen to make a new preset or too, posting it is just a button-push away...

I’m not surprised at all. The creativity and knowledge you’ve displayed
here make you stand out like a sore thumb. Congratulations, Smilefan!

Your absence here will leave a huge gaping hole in customer
support, education, and general enthusiasm for Axe II.

So many of us Axe II owners are deeply indebted to you for all you’ve
done on our behalf, so unselfishly.

Its ironic that so many here appreciated you, and even one of Fractal’s own
competitors recognized your value. Yet, not so much as a word
of acknowledgement from Fractal Audio to you. Maybe what you did here
was irrelevant to them, but at least your very obvious importance to US,
their customers, should have been worth a ‘thank you’.

Godspeed Smilefan. This couldn’t have happened to a more deserving
person. We are going to REALLY miss you.
Well I don't know if any kind of special recognition would be warranted from the company. What smilefan did wasn't for FA, but for the members of this forum and as great as his contributions were the recognition and well wishes are coming from the people that were impacted by him; the members of this community.

Is it me or did that sound like a frickin' eulogy? ;) The guy just got a cool new job.

Plus it's only been two and a half hours since he posted this....I'd give them a little time before I was to presume that a goodbye or a well wish wouldn't be given and if it were done and I was FA, I'd do it via PM for obvious reasons of potential internet shenanigans. I mean the guy's employed by a competitor that is obviously worried about product affiliations to the point that he's having to cut off communications with us here; protocol would be to keep that kind of stuff behind closed doors out of best interest for all parties involved.

Frankie Goes To Hollywood...

Plus it's only been two and a half hours since he posted this....I'd give them a little time before I was to presume that a goodbye or a well wish wouldn't be given and if it were done and I was FA, I'd do it via PM for obvious reasons of potential internet shenanigans. I mean the guy's employed by a competitor that is obviously worried about product affiliations to the point that he's having to cut off communications with us here; protocol would be to keep that kind of stuff behind closed doors out of best interest for all parties involved.

Hey shasha,

As usual, we're thinking very similarly about this - LOL! The first thing that went through my mind when I read metalpriest's-thread was "How the hell does he know that F.A.S. either hasn't already or isn't planning to send him a note of thanks/good-luck?!?" (...and as you said, of course it would be through P.M. also!)

I think people in general in these forums tend to get a bit too emotional/touchy-feely about such matters?!? I mean, business is business, right?!?

Well, I already thanked smilefan for his awesome, insightful, entertaining/funny, and VERY informative Forum-posts/preset-creations! I always looked forward to his thread!!!

"We're gonna miss him..." - "Eulogy" by Tool

Bill

This is just proof that good things happen to good people.

Your unselfishness in helping others day in and and day out got noticed and resulted in a fantastic opportunity for you.

I hope nothing but success for you in your new position and though I feel sad you are leaving the community, I also feel very happy in these "all about me" times to see opportunities arise for those who freely give to others.

Congrats Smilefan!!!! Well deserved!

You will most definetly be missed!

Congrats and best of luck on the new gig! ;) Really glad to know that you can actually get a job doing that kind of stuff.....there is NO scope for anything like that where I'm from, so glad to know that there's such a great opportunity for you! ;) best of luck!

I thought Cliff was going to hire you ...
But no, this is another company .... Too bad :(

Good luck smilefan , and thank you again ...

Last edited:
OMG... OMG... :eek: What a *HUGE* blow...!
Just as I was getting into your stuff and have been reading and enjoying all of it lately.
I just remade the Mr. 335 preset that seemed to be corrupted, which sure gave me a small idea of the time involved...

THANKS SO MUCH for many, many presets that greatly hit the mark! I was thinking "just 10 or 20 more and we really have every possible "must have no one else can do this" sound right under our foot! :)" But still extremely grateful, even if you had only made a handful of them. Many are so awesome!!

Very happy for you and your opportunity at... "Mitchell Modeling"? :p

That leaves us with Steadystate who won't share for understandable reasons and DonPetersen, who will need to diversify. Fractal has to buy DonPetersen NOW!!! ;) (sorry if I forgot someone in my Sorrystate) And let's hope the new Axe-change will unlock some long guarded goodies from javajunkie, matt, ..., that the Match EQ will solve "everything" or that I will learn to tweak better before I'm 90. [BTW: a huge amount of the stock presets are awesome too. Thx FAS!]

I wish you great health and fun! (and for us, many hints to austinbuddy! ;))

Last edited:
I thought Cliff was going to hire you ...
But no, this is another company .... damage :(

Good luck smilefan , and thank you again ...

"Damage" is a google translate version of "Dommage" in French, which translates to ... "Too bad" in Engligh ;)

Wow! Congrats and sincere best wishes to you, smilefan :p

My regret here is that I’ve deferred my thanks until I try your patches out - my AxeFX II is in the mail as I write.

So let me thank you in advance for such a valuable contribution of presets that will bring me a wealth of starting points for my own tones and my own adventure with the Axe FX.

cheers,
GM Arts

Great for you!!!! Im sure good for the company you´re joining. Our loss though!!

A big thank you thank you for all your time and knowledge you shared here. Meant the world to me in terms of learning to handle the AXE, written and explained technical stuff in a way that I can understand (which isnt easy). First time I got my MFC, I had to ask this forum what "power cycle the unit meant".
In my language its "turn the damn thing off and then back on again".

I can easily say that I think I printed most of your tips and tricks posts and made them a personal reference "bible" when tweaking and hunting for good tones.

All the best in the future, and if your new position brings you to the land of red dragon at some point, buzz me, I owe you a few pints for sure

Keep rocking!

Congrats and thanks a lot for the effort you put in.

I'm still months away from floating to the top of the Aussie list for a II but I have learnt lot about getting tones in general, let alone tones on the Axe.

The organization that had procured your services is very lucky.

Plus it's only been two and a half hours since he posted this....I'd give them a little time before I was to presume that a goodbye or a well wish wouldn't be given and if it were done and I was FA, I'd do it via PM for obvious reasons of potential internet shenanigans.

I didn't mean since he posted this announcement, I meant in the whole 6 months plus
duration of his Thread. I contacted him to say thanks for all he's done for me and asked
if anybody from Fractal had ever contacted to say anything (i.e. thanks for the contribution).
He said no one from the company ever spoke a word to him, and he didn't expect it. I just
feel he went drastically beyond the call of duty for a customer, and thought it warranted a
word of thanks from the top at some point (not necessarily here at the end).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom