Since it's looking like we won't be able to use the MFC-101...

Unless you always want to control all those blocks in every song, you might have a solution - switch assignments seem to be flexible, or at least that's the plan, apparently.

With a board with pedals, you can control any of them on any song. If I become inspired to use a wah during a solo but.....whoops. There's no switch for it on that patch. Why would I want less options and be limited?

I’m all for moving forward and haven’t been a huge fan of the MFC, with all its limitations, but, given that the new controllers are months away and the MFC won’t work properly with the III, it’s kind of hard to move anywhere as things stand. :)

Also, while the new controllers have some truly great new capabilities, it’s not at all clear whether they (or the MIDI block in the III) are even able to replace the MFC as far as controlling other gear along with Axe is concerned.

Other than that, sure, it’s a welcome change.

I didn't realize the FC's are still months away?????? Oh dear that's a bit of a
f--k up. And as you say with no information about wether it's capable of controlling other gear (I use switches on the MC-101 to switch on/off vocal fx and changing patches on a Harmony unit etc)... It could be a risk to purchase the Axe III only to find a few months later when the FC is finally released that it doesn't do what I need it to do......

Re: fewer FC buttons:

I don't like less buttons....at all. My main motivation for wanting the III is CPU. I can't have everything I want for every patch on the II because it exceeds the CPU. Now the power is about to be available...but the new controller doesn't have enough buttons to control the blocks I have now much less for what I was going to add.

My hope is more information will be released and that it will alleviate my mixed emotions about the III.

Every FC-12 can be daisy-chained to another FC-12, which can be daisy-chained to another FC-12, or an FC-6 if you like.

I think Fractal's idea is to maximize flexibility so that everyone can have exactly what they want:
- 6 buttons with a single FC-6
- 12 buttons with a single FC-12
- 18 buttons with a 12 daisy-chained to a 6
- 24 buttons with a 12 daisy-chained to a 12
- 30 buttons with a 12 daisy-chained to a 12 daisy-chained to a 6
- 36 buttons with a 12 daisy-chained to a 12 daisy-chained to a 12

...and so on. I think I read somewhere that 4 units daisy-chained to one another is the limit. That means 48 buttons if you want. (Someone from Fractal please confirm?)

AND, I suspect that there's even more flexibility than THAT...

Remember that the MFC-101 had two jacks on the back for 2-button footswitches. These external footswitches didn't have indicator lights, which made them less-than-optimal for any purpose where you'd prefer to know the status at a glance (e.g. wah on/off). They would have been ideal for Program Up/Down, but unfortunately that couldn't be reassigned.

Now consider: The FC-12 and FC-6 will probably have similar jacks on the back. (This has NOT been confirmed anywhere so far as I know; I am hypothesizing.) At a guess, I'd say 1 TRS jack on the FC-6 and 2 TRS jacks on the FC-12 is likely (with each TRS jack supporting a 2-button external footswitch).

If my guess is correct about that, then you can add 2 external buttons (with no LED) to every FC-6, and 4 to every FC-12, in the above list. That would allow you yet more options for how many buttons you want: 8, 14, 16, etc.

TL/DR:
Don't worry, I think Fractal's got ya' covered.

Re: fewer FC buttons:

Now consider: The FC-12 and FC-6 will probably have similar jacks on the back. (This has NOT been confirmed anywhere so far as I know; I am hypothesizing.) At a guess, I'd say 1 TRS jack on the FC-6 and 2 TRS jacks on the FC-12 is likely (with each TRS jack supporting a 2-button external footswitch).

If my guess is correct about that, then you can add 2 external buttons (with no LED) to every FC-6, and 4 to every FC-12, in the above list. That would allow you yet more options for how many buttons you want: 8, 14, 16, etc.

TL/DR:
Don't worry, I think Fractal's got ya' covered.

From the Axe Fx III product release page:
You can connect up to four expression pedals (such as the Fractal Audio EV-1 or EV-2) and four external switches to each FC controller.

I hope you're right....and that they're only $200 each.

There's no way they'll be $200 each...at a minimum they're likely to be $399 for the FC-12 and even that will probably be a bit low considering their competition's similar proprietary footswitch sells for $359-399 depending on where you get it.

There's no way they'll be $200 each...at a minimum they're likely to be $399 for the FC-12 and even that will probably be a bit low considering their competition's similar proprietary footswitch sells for $359-399 depending on where you get it.
True... But competition also has retail markup. I don't FAS has the same markup since they do direct sales.

I am on the waitlist for the Axe Three. I was s excited of the three because i wanted it to replace my loved and somehow also hated AX8. The AX8 is sounding great and also compact. But Human interface and Footswitchlayout is for me a medium disaster. In the wishes and bugs page of the AX8 forums were many posts about getting the human interface and footswitches better working. Unfortunately there where no improvements. I liked the unit for its compact design, but know i want to get rid of it.
I had the axe 2 with mfc, and i loved the instant access of most important switches.
To go to a layer-based Layout like the AX8 is absolutely no improvement. Daisy chain is also not state of the art!
Look at Petruccis Board, lukather! Gilmour, and so on. They all have many switches.....
Why?
Because you need them!
I also think Axe three brings so more possibilities, but new controllers limitate!
I will not buy, before i see people happy with the three after one year of use. I was one of the first getting the AX8 in Europe, but i was after less than one year disappointed that there were no big improvements in obviously points.
So for now i will get another XL plus and bring my old mfc back in to service.
I wanted to go from AX8 directly to the three, but this is currently to insecure

I'm excited about the Axe III but gutted about the FC not being available - so won't be able to use the Axe III live - and it may be a long time before we see the FC. Suppose it will give me time to get my head around it at home.
I just wish they would tell me if I am able to control my other effects via the FC :-(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom