Since it's looking like we won't be able to use the MFC-101...

I am on the waitlist for the Axe Three. I was s excited of the three because i wanted it to replace my loved and somehow also hated AX8. The AX8 is sounding great and also compact. But Human interface and Footswitchlayout is for me a medium disaster. In the wishes and bugs page of the AX8 forums were many posts about getting the human interface and footswitches better working. Unfortunately there where no improvements. I liked the unit for its compact design, but know i want to get rid of it.
I had the axe 2 with mfc, and i loved the instant access of most important switches.
To go to a layer-based Layout like the AX8 is absolutely no improvement. Daisy chain is also not state of the art!
Look at Petruccis Board, lukather! Gilmour, and so on. They all have many switches.....
Why?
Because you need them!
I also think Axe three brings so more possibilities, but new controllers limitate!
I will not buy, before i see people happy with the three after one year of use. I was one of the first getting the AX8 in Europe, but i was after less than one year disappointed that there were no big improvements in obviously points.
So for now i will get another XL plus and bring my old mfc back in to service.
I wanted to go from AX8 directly to the three, but this is currently to insecure

It's always interesting how differing perspectives lead to different impressions!

The thing I loved about the AX8 that was frustrating about the MFC + Axe II (for me) is precisely the footswitch layout and implementation: by default you have IA right there, along with X/Y for each block with a long press. Scenes are either a single extra press away or right there if you set up a preset as such.

Essentially the only thing missing, keeping the AX8 implementation from being absolutely perfect (for me) is scribble strips.

I'm excited about the Axe III but gutted about the FC not being available - so won't be able to use the Axe III live - and it may be a long time before we see the FC. Suppose it will give me time to get my head around it at home.
I just wish they would tell me if I am able to control my other effects via the FC :-(
Read the manual now posted. There is a midi block in the Axe Fx III that allows for sending midi out on scene or preset changes.

If you need more than that, I think you are out of luck because the FC is not a midi controller...

'A connected FC Series Controller (see Section 13) will also provide additional MIDI transmitting possibilities'.

This sounds promising - sounds like I maybe able to control my other effects via the FC/Axe III - fingers crossed it will do at least what I could do on the MFC-101

'A connected FC Series Controller (see Section 13) will also provide additional MIDI transmitting possibilities'.

This sounds promising - sounds like I maybe able to control my other effects via the FC/Axe III - fingers crossed it will do at least what I could do on the MFC-101
I guess I missed that part ;)

There's nothing after that sentence, just a blank page, so you didn't miss much. :)
But for you and Andy, that part seems to be important (at least a little hint). I was really referring to the midi block in my previous reply.

I have no outboard gear, so not really a factor for me. I may have simply filtered it while reading!

It's very important to me, and it's quite clear now that the needed functionality isn't there.

I was assuming that the functionality that we need will be there once the elusive FC is released.... what makes you think it isn't there?

I was assuming that the functionality that we need will be there once the elusive FC is released.... what makes you think it isn't there?

Well, the FC isn’t there, so the functionality isn’t there, obviously.

Also, it’s been said that FCs are dumb terminals and all MIDI stuff is happening within the III. Reading the manual doesn’t give any indication of what extra functionality may be there. There’s no block for that and no settings.

So maybe something will be there but currently it’s not the case.

if this stuff is so obvious, why are we talking about it? it's being developed. when it's ready, the information will be shared. sure, it can affect purchasing decisions for the Axe-Fx III... but is it?

if this stuff is so obvious, why are we talking about it? it's being developed. when it's ready, the information will be shared. sure, it can affect purchasing decisions for the Axe-Fx III... but is it?

Because it’s important to some users. Quite a few people asked if it were there. I’ve read the manual and concluded that it’s not, and shared what I found. That’s why we’re talking about.

And it wasn’t obvious before the manual was published. One could conclude that from available information, but when that one did that, he was bashed for spreading rumors and speculation because the device hadn’t been released. Now it’s not rumors and speculation anymore, and the device has been released. What’s wrong with talking about it this time?

Chris, it's being talked about because people don't want to spend $2500 in hopes that the AxeIII and a FC unit will meet their needs. At the very least FAS should make an announcement about the intended functionality of the FC so people can make an informed decision.

Speaking for myself, the the lack of information and pricing on the FC will most likely prevent me from purchasing the AxeIII when I get my invitation, which will come soon since I signed up very soon after the waitlist was posted. I will not keep the AX8 if I buy an AxeIII but I'm not willing to make that purchase without FC information and pricing. FAS has screwed up this part of the AxeIII rollout as far as I am concerned. And there was also talk in an older thread about using a separate wait list for the FC's. That's not smart. Offer the FC's using the same AxeIII wait list. No one who does not already have an AxeIII needs to purchase an FC before the people who have already purchased the AxeIII.

Maybe there is new information about the FC functionality that I am not aware of (don't have time to read every thread). If so, please point me in the right direction so I can read up on the latest news.

Chris, it's being talked about because people don't want to spend $2500 in hopes that the AxeIII and a FC unit will meet their needs. At the very least FAS should make an announcement about the intended functionality of the FC so people can make an informed decision.

Speaking for myself, the the lack of information and pricing on the FC will most likely prevent me from purchasing the AxeIII when I get my invitation, which will come soon since I signed up very soon after the waitlist was posted. I will not keep the AX8 if I buy an AxeIII but I'm not willing to make that purchase without FC information and pricing. FAS has screwed up this part of the AxeIII rollout as far as I am concerned. And there was also talk in an older thread about using a separate wait list for the FC's. That's not smart. Offer the FC's using the same AxeIII wait list. No one who does not already have an AxeIII needs to purchase an FC before the people who have already purchased the AxeIII.

Maybe there is new information about the FC functionality that I am not aware of (don't have time to read every thread). If so, please point me in the right direction so I can read up on the latest news.
I’m with you on this it’s very concerning, I use my unit live and rely on a board, after just breezing through the manual and correct me if I’m wrong the MFC will NOT work with the iii

Because it’s important to some users. Quite a few people asked if it were there. I’ve read the manual and concluded that it’s not, and shared what I found. That’s why we’re talking about.

And it wasn’t obvious before the manual was published. One could conclude that from available information, but when that one did that, he was bashed for spreading rumors and speculation because the device hadn’t been released. Now it’s not rumors and speculation anymore, and the device has been released. What’s wrong with talking about it this time?
i'm not trying to say anything is "wrong." if someone asked "is the info there" and the answer is no, then that's answering the question. i was referencing something else completely.

i typed out some of my thoughts, but just deleted it because it doesn't matter.

i guess a quick summary is this: i fully understand wanting to know information before buying into a complete system. i really do. i'm just tired of the negative sentiment that comes with almost every single bit of information that FAS does share, almost immediately. it's never enough. in due time, all the information will come out. but what a kick in the balls to spend hours on something, release it because people keep asking for it asap, and then the response is immediately "oh i see this part isn't done." it's usually the same people too. it's just never enough.

i'll stop responding to this "sentiment" and just answer specific questions.

I’m with you on this it’s very concerning, I use my unit live and rely on a board, after just breezing through the manual and correct me if I’m wrong the MFC will NOT work with the iii
correct. it's been mentioned numerous times in many threads, the MFC-101 does not "sync" with the Axe-Fx III the same way it did with an Axe-Fx II. the MFC can be set up manually as a General MIDI controller and it can "most likely" control the Axe-Fx III the same exact way it can control an Axe-Fx II once it's setup. i'm only saying "most likely" because someone will find one small instance where it doesn't and call me a liar. :|

again, i fully understand wanting to know the details for the system as a whole. but an announcement of the intended functionality was provided on the Axe-Fx III page. there hasn't been absolutely nothing shared. that's all the info for now. we'll get more news when it's available. do we all wish the info would come sooner than later? sure, of course. but it's not like absolutely nothing has been shared, a comment i've seen repeated a few times, which i just don't understand.

Flexibility and Control
A guitar processor as powerful as the Axe-Fx III deserves an equally powerful foot controller. While the Axe-Fx III is fully MIDI-capable and can easily be controlled from a traditional MIDI controller or computer, our next-generation control system combines plug-and-play ease, built-in intelligence, and the flexibility that working musicians demand. An FC controller connected to an Axe-Fx III provides complete remote control of banks, presets, scenes, blocks, channels, and more.

Two models provide a range of options for musicians with different sized needs. The FC-6 has six footswitches and is small enough to fit in many gig bags, while the larger FC-12 has 12 switches. Each FC Series controller is housed in a rugged steel enclosure and features a large, bright, transflective main display designed for excellent readability under adverse lighting conditions. Our new FASLINK II connectors provide power and 2-way communication over a single XLR cable. You can connect up to four expression pedals (such as the Fractal Audio EV-1 or EV-2) and four external switches to each FC controller. Through our flexible “modifier” system, pedals and switches can control an incredible range of functions on the Axe-Fx III. Best of all, every function of the FC series controller is programmed right from the Axe-Fx itself, so no programming of the FC is required.

FC Footswitch Features
Each FC controller can have up to 12 different “layouts” with each layout featuring your choice of control functions. Default factory layouts are provided to get up and running quickly while advanced users can program their own custom layouts to fit their individual performance needs.

A layout can contain any combination of functions including Preset, Scene, Channel, Effect Bypass, and more. Each switch can also perform multiple tasks with functions assignable to both TAP and HOLD. Need more switches? Up to four FC series foot controllers can be daisy-chained for up to 48 switches at once!

For large venues, any two controllers can be paired using “Clone Mode”. This allows one controller on stage for the artist and one off-stage controlled by a technician.

Each footswitch combines three physical elements: 1) A rugged solid-state switch with no mechanical contacts to fail 2) An individual “scribble strip” LCD display which dynamically shows the function(s) of the switch, and 3) A color LED ring which helps identify footswitch state and category at a glance.

that seems like a lot of information for a product that hasn't been released yet. do we know the exact specifics? no because the product isn't released yet, which i feel is pretty standard for any unreleased gear.

Chris, I understand your frustration. But keep in mind that many users are excited for this product to be released and some of them need/want assurance that it will meet their needs before laying out this much cash. I, for one, appreciate the information that FAS has shared but am unsure whether to purchase now, or wait a year for the product to mature. Any info that can be shared will help people make this decision.

Sorry, didn't mean to contribute to the negativity. Just making it clear that this does impact the purchasing decision for some of us. I do not have a MFC, or any other MIDI controller, and will not be able to use the AxeIII outside of my basement until the FC is available. So, you can see that having no expected release date, feature list, or price for the FC does directly impact my purchase decision for the AxeIII.

Chris, I understand your frustration. But keep in mind that many users are excited for this product to be released and some of them need/want assurance that it will meet their needs before laying out this much cash. I, for one, appreciate the information that FAS has shared but am unsure whether to purchase now, or wait a year for the product to mature. Any info that can be shared will help people make this decision.

Sorry, didn't mean to contribute to the negativity. Just making it clear that this does impact the purchasing decision for some of us. I do not have a MFC, or any other MIDI controller, and will not be able to use the AxeIII outside of my basement until the FC is available. So, you can see that having no expected release date, feature list, or price for the FC does directly impact my purchase decision for the AxeIII.
yup absolutely. asking for facts and more info isn't the "negativity" i was referencing, and i don't include anything you've said in that frustration. just wanna make that clear to you specifically.

do know that info is being shared as soon as it possibly can, sometimes with the risk of being incomplete for the exact purpose of helping people make purchase decisions, among other things.

...that seems like a lot of information for a product that hasn't been released yet. do we know the exact specifics? no because the product isn't released yet, which i feel is pretty standard for any unreleased gear.

Thanks for that. I completely forgot about the FC information that was included on the product page. I read that back on January 29th when I signed up on the mailing list but have not revisited it since then. I'll go back and read the initial product announcement page again.

And I'm reading through the PDF manual as well.

what a kick in the balls to spend hours on something, release it because people keep asking for it asap, and then the response is immediately "oh i see this part isn't done."

If it’s not done, it’s not done. It is natural that some people for whom it may be more important than for others, including yourself, will actively seek the answers they need and there will be frustration when those aren’t satisfactory (for them). I don’t see why you have to see it as “negativity”.

You want people to look at it from your perspective, have some willingness and patience to appreciate theirs. Maybe you’ll discover they have legitimate concerns and simply want clarity rather than an irrational desire to annoy you.

You want people to look at it from your perspective, have some willingness and patience to appreciate theirs. Maybe you’ll discover they have legitimate concerns and simply want clarity rather than an irrational desire to annoy you.
i've mentioned that i do understand the desire for knowledge. seeking clarity is great.

Back
Top Bottom