Set BPM/tempo to a tenth of a number (or at least a half)

This could probably satisfy everyone by having a few options such as:
1. Tap Tempo - Use normal vs tenth's
2. Global option, tenths off by default
3. Front panel knob - normal vs tenths precision
4. probably missing some...

In summary, if you don't want this, you would never know it existed :) But if you do, you would have the choice to use it.

This could probably satisfy everyone by having a few options such as:
1. Tap Tempo - Use normal vs tenth's
2. Global option, tenths off by default
3. Front panel knob - normal vs tenths precision
4. probably missing some...

In summary, if you don't want this, you would never know it existed :) But if you do, you would have the choice to use it.
Tempo increment/decrement.

All of these that already exist should default to current operation, as you mentioned.

@Brian Wahl
I saw an interesting video today for a Keith Urban inspired preset for the FM3 & AF3.

He also mentioned this simple tempo request adding the option of tenths.
So I'm bumping this for Brian. Tempo 99.5

Last edited:
Let’s make it happen, Fractal! Search your feelings - you will know that more precise tempos are the key. Let us set our BPM’s to 64.6 and together we can rule the galaxy.

Or if you prefer a Star Trek reference instead: whole number BPM only options are like Kahn. Spock is dead. William Shattner’s speaking cadence most often falls around 83.2. Let’s make it happen.

Last edited:
Let’s make it happen, Fractal! Search your feelings - you will know that more precise tempos are the key. Let us set our BPM’s to 64.6 and together we can rule the galaxy.

Or if you prefer a Star Trek reference instead: whole number BPM only options are like Kahn. Spock is dead. William Shattner’s speaking cadence most often falls around 83.2. Let’s make it happen.
Yea, I'm gonna chip in and wish this was the case as well. Us Pdubbers live and die by click tracks and backing tracks, and syc'd delays and effects are the order of the day these days.

Last edited:
+1

To me, being .5 bpm off is not really noticeable live, and I bet most people are +-3bpm when tapping tempos anyway. I could see precision being more important in a studio setting, though, where perfection is expected.

+1

To me, being .5 bpm off is not really noticeable live, and I bet most people are +-3bpm when tapping tempos anyway. I could see precision being more important in a studio setting, though, where perfection is expected.
The people performing will notice, which can be a distraction that lessens the quality and enjoyment of their performance....

It seems that there is a common sentiment that '.5 BPM doesn't make a difference', but when you are at slower tempos (like around or under 70bpm), and you use time-sync'd delays like dotted 8th or dual delays liked dotted 8th plus 1/4 with long repeats - once the delay repeats past a measure or so, you can definitely hear/feel it.

I'd agree, if you're mostly using more subtle delays that only carry out a measure or less, then 0.5 BPM difference doesn't really matter at all. But many players out there rely on rhythm delay with long tails as an essential part of their sound.

My current work-around is to double the tempo, but then I also have to go in and double the sub-divisions of every delay, which is less than ideal.

It seems that there is a common sentiment that '.5 BPM doesn't make a difference', but when you are at slower tempos (like around or under 70bpm), and you use time-sync'd delays like dotted 8th or dual delays liked dotted 8th plus 1/4 with long repeats - once the delay repeats past a measure or so, you can definitely hear/feel it.

I'd agree, if you're mostly using more subtle delays that only carry out a measure or less, then 0.5 BPM difference doesn't really matter at all. But many players out there rely on rhythm delay with long tails as an essential part of their sound.

My current work-around is to double the tempo, but then I also have to go in and double the sub-divisions of every delay, which is less than ideal.
Another church player here, and .5 BPM absolutely makes a difference in this environment. It is wild to read people say, "I don't need it and can't tell a difference, therefore you don't need it either." This platform is all about accuracy and fine tuning, I'm not sure why more precision in the tempo is considered a bad thing. It is not so bad that is unusable, but if I am putting in the effort to make presets for every song to have rhythmic delays be synced with tracks and a click, I want the tempos to be correct not close enough.

Another church player here, and .5 BPM absolutely makes a difference in this environment. It is wild to read people say, "I don't need it and can't tell a difference, therefore you don't need it either." This platform is all about accuracy and fine tuning, I'm not sure why more precision in the tempo is considered a bad thing. It is not so bad that is unusable, but if I am putting in the effort to make presets for every song to have rhythmic delays be synced with tracks and a click, I want the tempos to be correct not close enough.
I'm a church player as well, and have used this workaround before. I agree, it would be a good improvement, and I would certainly take advantage of it. Most of our church players can only afford POD HD500's and just tap the tempo. They still sound great with presets I made that have two stacked series delays, featuring a 63% delay mix.

At the price point of fractal products, I do completely agree that we should be able to have this precision. I get that resources are limited, though, and only Fractal knows how long it would take to make the fix. It may be as simple as converting an 8 bit int to a 16 bit int, and doing some division, or it may be way more complicated.

I want to thank everyone posting on this thread for re-defining the term “Rabbit Hole”…
From the stories I've read about the P&W environment, the people here are just the messengers. Let's not shoot them. They are often stuck between a leader who expects perfection or better and a software limitation that draws that leader's critical eye....

Personally, I would let my delays drag further and further (although generally imperceptibly) behind, as an ambient manifestation of my rock-n-roll rebellion against heavy-handed religious orthodoxy everywhere, but that's probably why I don't have a P&W gig.

(Aw, who am I kidding. That's like reason #400 why I don't have one.)

At any rate, I only married into Catholicism and even I can rejoice in this thread being Risen. Alleluia!

Personally, I would let my delays drag further and further (although generally imperceptibly) behind, as a ambient manifestation of my rock-n-roll rebellion against heavy-handed religious orthodoxy everywhere, but that's probably why I don't have a P&W gig.

(Aw, who am I kidding. That's like reason #400 why I don't have one.)

Right there with ya. Goldwater nailed it with his description of dealing with the people who mix religion and power. They believe their opinions have deity-backed weight, and tend to be unwilling to compromise....

I understand the request but no way can anyone hear that .5 especially because the sound tech won't have you loud enough in the mix anyway. All the wash from the rest of the band in P&W genre will cover it up too. ;)

From the stories I've read about the P&W environment, the people here are just the messengers. Let's not shoot them. They are often stuck between a leader who expects perfection or better and a software limitation that draws that leader's critical eye....
A lot of it depends on the size of the church. Smaller churches generally adapt the feel of the music to the strengths of the musicians, as there is a smaller pool of volunteers. If your guitarist and drummer for the week came from a classic rock, or jazz, or country environment, we might re-arrange the songs to make those players more comfortable. Typically, larger churches are shooting for a near perfect cover of songs, so they expect very precise and versatile tools.

I attend a smaller church, and most of our guitarist used to play classic rock bar gigs. They are super talented, but we really don't expect them to spend thousands on gear to fit the P&W genre. When I was in college, and the best I could afford was a POD HD500, I wanted to audition at a larger church, but I could not get an audition since they expected professional gear. Later they heard me play at a different venue, and liked what they heard and invited me to the team, so it worked out for me.

🙄 what an absolutely ridiculous (and offensive. and ignorant) response to a group of guys who just want more accurate tempos.
It is an observable and unfortunately relatively common trait of leaders in large religious institutions. In this case, their inflexibility is impacting you, and I am actually supporting you, but whatevs....

Back
Top Bottom