Set BPM/tempo to a tenth of a number (or at least a half)

Brian Wahl

I tried doing a search but couldn't find anything...

Is there any way to set the tempo of a preset to a tenth of a BPM - or at least a half? For example, if we do a song that's at 70.5 BPM, I have to set the Axe-FX III at 141BPM and then re-set all my delays to accommodate.

So can I set the BPM to 70.5 somehow? Or is there a feature request link to request that?

Thanks!

I would find this option very useful. Many MDs pull this fraction stuff to be cool. I ususally end up just compromising. This thread should be moved to the wish list!

the wish is fine, but i personally can't stand decimal BPM. it just complicates things way more than it needs to be.

ohhhh this track is at 120.67 bpm. oooooooh. *rolls eyes*

if this gets added, please add the option to NOT use decimal. that's more to scroll through on the front panel when setting things.

the wish is fine, but i personally can't stand decimal BPM. it just complicates things way more than it needs to be.

ohhhh this track is at 120.67 bpm. oooooooh. *rolls eyes*

if this gets added, please add the option to NOT use decimal. that's more to scroll through on the front panel when setting things.
“Ok guys, for this next song it’s 101.7BPM Tuned to A=438.”

“....Umm, Chris, you were .37 late coming in on that second verse again, and I hate to keep bringing this up but..ahh, check your tuning, that B string is 3 cents flat..”

Agree with Chris, let this be an option that we can skip if we want.

And I'm wondering how long you let your delays ring for - I'm sure that when I do tap tempo I'm frequently off by a BPM or two but it's never a problem... a fraction of a beat should be negligible unless you've got a really long decay.

And I'm wondering how long you let your delays ring for - I'm sure that when I do tap tempo I'm frequently off by a BPM or two but it's never a problem... a fraction of a beat should be negligible unless you've got a really long decay.

I do a lot of dotted 8th rhythmic delay stuff, so locking into the exact tempo of the song is pretty important for me. If we didn't use a click I'd just tap to whatever the drummer is doing, but since we go from a click track, I like to get it exact.

You can halve the subdivision and double the tempo if you want half values. Dotted 8th at 70.5 bpm = dotted quarter at 141 bpm.
I think that's what he's doing already... But that gets harder when the decimal isn't .5 :)

I still think the better solution if you need such strict timing to a click or backing track is MIDI clock. Every band I know that plays to a click also uses MIDI to sync up their effects and synth arpeggiators etc.

I’m dense I suppose, but why would anyone need fraction of a tempo, especially since we can set 70, 71, or 141 ... who in the audience hears 0.5 (other than maybe the band)?

I’m open to learning. This is not a poke, but a serious question. And, I do play dotted 8ths so I get the rhythmic interplay.

I do a lot of dotted 8th rhythmic delay stuff, so locking into the exact tempo of the song is pretty important for me. If we didn't use a click I'd just tap to whatever the drummer is doing, but since we go from a click track, I like to get it exact.
I have run into the same thing but have discovered that being slightly off, <1 bpm, isn't at all detrimental to the timing of the delay in the context of the song. It of course would be noticeable if the delay trails were a measure long but dotted eighths usually have short feedback. The only thing that can be an irritant is the tempo light not blinking exactly in time with the click, which used to bother me until it was noticed that the delays don't follow the blinking light. :p

how long are your delays that you can notice they are off at half a beat per minute? Comparing 70bpm and 70.5bpm, after 4 beats the time difference is about 0.03 seconds. You may be able to hear the difference if a machine is playing it, but can a bunch of humans play with that accuracy?? (serious question) It's like a 128th note difference in a measure.

Last edited:
I’m dense I suppose, but why would anyone need fraction of a tempo, especially since we can set 70, 71, or 141 ... who in the audience hears 0.5 (other than maybe the band)?

I’m open to learning. This is not a poke, but a serious question. And, I do play dotted 8ths so I get the rhythmic interplay.

We are essentially a cover band and we use click and backing tracks. So if a song was originally recorded at 80.5 bpm, that's what we play it at. I agree we could easily just do it at 80 or 81 and nobody would tell the difference, but we always stick with the original recorded tempo (I'm not in charge of that decision making process, either, ha).

We are essentially a cover band and we use click and backing tracks. So if a song was originally recorded at 80.5 bpm, that's what we play it at. I agree we could easily just do it at 80 or 81 and nobody would tell the difference, but we always stick with the original recorded tempo (I'm not in charge of that decision making process, either, ha).
What program do you use for click and loop playback? We use Ableton and use a 'whole number' bpm when building the song.

I work with the ocassional odd tempo. I'm not thrilled about the idea, but I have to give the best presentation possible, every time.

What program do you use for click and loop playback? We use Ableton and use a 'whole number' bpm when building the song.

We actually use Digital Performer, although I do agree that Ableton Live is a better option. We purchase our multitracks, so we use whatever tempo the original song was recorded at.

Back
Top Bottom