• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Set BPM/tempo to a tenth of a number (or at least a half)

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
I’ve done music production for like 25 years now, and I can’t say I’ve ever once really needed to set BPM that finely, even though I do hBe plenty of software, drum machines etc that could do it.

I’m not saying there isn’t a value to it, but I’ve just never felt I needed like 340.15 bpm, always just been 340

Adman103

Veteran
I'm a little annoyed every time I come across a track that has a .5 bpm to it, and Brian's presets for the P&W crowd are pretty darn good- I use a bunch of them myself, and that entire genre of playing is so delay driven, and it's almost always played along with some level of background tracking. I would definitely use this if it were added, and yea, I know the workaround- been doing it for years.

chris

Legend!
the OP explained why it would make his life easier while being aware of the available work arounds.
Just let him have his wish list item without explaining to him why he doesn't need it.
others are allowed to explain why it would be a detriment to them.

maybe i'll start a wish thread that says "reduce number of amps to 10" and get mad when people disagree with me. :) just let me have my wish that might be implemented!

unix-guy

Legend!
The tempo can always be controlled with 2 knobs. One for whole numbers and one for the decimals...
Replying to myself, but also could just use the main encoder like now but with the left/right Nav buttons to move between the whole and decimal parts.

TG3K

Veteran
others are allowed to explain why it would be a detriment to them...
Valid point, and you were doing exactly that with legitimate concerns. But some of the other posters were simply discounting the idea as unnecessary, useless, or somehow humanly impossible.

phil92

Inspired
others are allowed to explain why it would be a detriment to them.

maybe i'll start a wish thread that says "reduce number of amps to 10" and get mad when people disagree with me. :) just let me have my wish that might be implemented!
you are correct, that is exactly the same

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
I work in 1/10th BPM tempos all the time when matching MIDI to live recordings. In my experience, when it comes to effects, decimal tempos are not needed. You'll never hear any difference by adding this level of precision. The only case I can think of where this would be relevant is that of using long quantized loops, where the difference multiplies, especially at slower tempos. (4 bars at 52.5 vs 52 = a difference of 176 ms.)

A better case for sub-BPM adjustment is changing the feel of effects to rush or lag ever so slightly. In this case, you already have the tools to do this: MASTER TIME and MASTER RATE controls appear in many places.

Last edited:

∞Fractals

Forum Addict
I’m still lost on why milliseconds can’t be set in the delays (vs. beats and fractional beats)? Didn’t the Egde do this for years? Alex Lifeson too?

Wouldn’t it be a simple conversion or an I missing something fundamental?

(I know when setting the flanger I often go to 1.7, 1.8 or 2.2 milliseconds for lagging one side. There that kind of precision makes a huge difference in tonality.)

Top Bottom