Set BPM/tempo to a tenth of a number (or at least a half)

They believe their opinions have deity-backed weight, and tend to be unwilling to compromise....
I don't think this is the case at all. @Brian Wahl is a really great guy who makes great content. I'm sure using multiple platforms means that there are features other platforms have that you wish could be on every platform. Everyone has their 1 or 2 wishes that they feel strongly about. I know that is the case for me.

Oh hai. I too have no control over the song bpms being a very specific BPM and sometimes needing to set it at 76.8 or something weird (we use tracks and such too so there isn’t really a way around it) and would also like to be able to input decimals. USUALLY it’s increments of .5 but sometimes it’s like 68.25 or something weird

It is an observable and unfortunately relatively common trait of leaders in large religious institutions. In this case, their inflexibility is impacting you, and I am actually supporting you, but whatevs....

I read your comment as being about us guitar players who play in churches. If that’s not what you meant, then I apologize for my response as it was uncalled for.

I’ve served under leaders in church who fit your description, but I didn’t think that’s what we were talking about here. Sorry I assumed you were saying something you weren’t.

I don't think this is the case at all. @Brian Wahl is a really great guy who makes great content. I'm sure using multiple platforms means that there are features other platforms have that you wish could be on every platform. Everyone has their 1 or 2 wishes that they feel strongly about. I know that is the case for me.

Context is key....

This was not about Brian so much as it was about the situation he is in - stuck between a picky leader and a software limitation - and I agree the tempo could stand to be more granular....

People so easily get their knickers in a wad whenever anything involving religion or politics are even observed, much less criticized....

I read your comment as being about us guitar players who play in churches. If that’s not what you meant, then I apologize for my response as it was uncalled for.

I’ve served under leaders in church who fit your description, but I didn’t think that’s what we were talking about here. Sorry I assumed you were saying something you weren’t.
Yeah, I think Joe's on your side here, both in terms of a) being put in a strange spot by some music director somewhere, and b) using this space to clearly and patiently explain your request.

Context is key....

This was not about Brian so much as it was about the situation he is in - stuck between a picky leader and a software limitation....
Apologies for the misunderstanding. I think we have all dealt with picky leaders before, and P&W is certainly not immune.

I think people often point out only the negatives in our leaders too often, though. In my experiences, the guy who is critiquing your delays is often the same guy who is housing homeless families that they just met. I'm not saying this to contradict you, I just want people to hear the good as well.

Context is key....

This was not about Brian so much as it was about the situation he is in - stuck between a picky leader and a software limitation - and I agree the tempo could stand to be more granular....

People so easily get their knickers in a wad whenever anything involving religion or politics are even observed, much less criticized....
10+ years of putting up worship/church related content on YouTube - and dealing with literally hundreds of anti-religion and hate filled comments on that platform have led me to assume the worst of people sometimes. 😅 My bad.

For me it isn’t so much a worship leader asking me to play in those tempos - but more for making song presets available in the exact tempos that many churches are playing them in.

I think down to the 1/10th or .5 BPM accuracy would be just fine, as long as choosing that level of accuracy is not the default behavior. The axe FX is the most flexible and accurate modeler. Since it matters to people, this level of accuracy as far as tempo would be interesting as long as it doesn't impede the (assumed) average user.

I think down to the 1/10th or .5 BPM accuracy would be just fine, as long as choosing that level of accuracy is not the default behavior. The axe FX is the most flexible and accurate modeler. Since it matters to people, this level of accuracy as far as tempo would be interesting as long as it doesn't impede the (assumed) average user.
Yes, it would take 10x as many repeats for the timing inaccuracy to be an issue. Another thing that might help is always rounding down (i.e., using floor() instead of 5/4 rounding) in calculated tempos, so if they are a hair off, it is late rather than early, which seems to flow a little more relaxedly than early does....

Having the ability to automatically track (down to the most accurate level possible) an incoming MIDI clock source sounds like it should be SOP (assuming it already isn’t). Having the ability to specify the internal clock BPM down to a .1 (or .01, if that’s what folks need/want) doesn’t bother me as long as the ability to select/deselect that accuracy level under Global Settings exists.

That said — I’d love to do a true double-blind test with ANY music director to see if they can accurately choose between 102BPM and 102.5BPM and 102.57BPM…

Having the ability to automatically track (down to the most accurate level possible) an incoming MIDI clock source sounds like it should be SOP (assuming it already isn’t). Having the ability to specify the internal clock BPM down to a .1 (or .01, if that’s what folks need/want) doesn’t bother me as long as the ability to select/deselect that accuracy level under Global Settings exists.

That said — I’d love to do a true double-blind test with ANY music director to see if they can accurately choose between 102BPM and 102.5BPM and 102.57BPM…
Played separately? Likely you would win that bet. Playing 102 BPM delay repeats against the 102.57 BPM actual tempo the drummer is feeling today will stick out pretty badly, though, and sound 'rushed'....

Last edited:

No band leader can, but I promise that backing track will play back at exactly 102.57 BPM every single time and playing at 102BPM will put you out of sync 30 seconds in.

Everyone’s situation is different.

No band leader can, but I promise that backing track will play back at exactly 102.57 BPM every single time and playing at 102BPM will put you out of sync 30 seconds in.

Everyone’s situation is different.
Please elaborate. Do you have an effect that runs that long? I can only think of the looper where this might actually come into play... Not likely your delay and reverb trails are running for 30 seconds.

70.5BPM dotted eighth: 638.2ms delay
70BPM dotted eighth: 642.8ms delay

That’s a 4.6ms “error” if you were to play against a 70.5BPM backing track. Is that enough to matter? When you have a click track banging in your IEMS, maybe so.

70.5BPM quarter: 851ms delay
70BPM quarter: 857ms delay
As you can see the error term gets longer with longer subdivisions.

Practical debates aside, this would not be a hard thing to implement.

70.5BPM dotted eighth: 638.2ms delay
70BPM dotted eighth: 642.8ms delay

That’s a 4.6ms “error” if you were to play against a 70.5BPM backing track. Is that enough to matter? When you have a click track banging in your IEMS, maybe so.

70.5BPM quarter: 851ms delay
70BPM quarter: 857ms delay
As you can see the error term gets longer with longer subdivisions.

Practical debates aside, this would not be a hard thing to implement.
It’s enough to notice playing (tightly) with a track, if that’s what you’re wondering.

I’ve always just doubled (70.5 is now 141) and doubled the subdivision I want (dotted 1/4 instead of dotted 1/8) but just adding a .5 option in the unit would be easier in the long run.

Please elaborate. Do you have an effect that runs that long? I can only think of the looper where this might actually come into play... Not likely your delay and reverb trails are running for 30 seconds.
Thats not what I mean. I mean by 30 seconds in the 1 will be pretty far off.

Thats not what I mean. I mean by 30 seconds in the 1 will be pretty far off.
That still doesn't make sense... There's no 1, there's only tempo.

And unless you're doing something unusual it won't be relevant to when you start.

The tempo (and subdivision) is pretty much always applied to what you play and produces an effect for some amount of time after it is triggered. Most things you can trigger are not still audible after more than a few seconds.

Maybe I'm missing something so I'm happy to have a better understanding if you care to detail the scenario... Or not, either way I'm ok. :)

Back
Top Bottom