Red Wirez Cab Impulses

Several people mention early on in this thread that combining close and room mics make these IR's sound fantastic in DAW programmes, but that axe-fx users are not able to use the room IR's to their full potential because the information is truncated during conversion for use in the axe-fx (or something to that effect)

My question is then, can cliff work any magic to make these room IR's useable to their full potential in the axe? Or is their a way of mimicking the reflections in the room IR's via reverb trickery or something of the like?

It seems a shame that we can only get the real magic of combining the near and room IR's by running into a DAW! (plus i haven't been able to find an RTAS plugin to load IR's in pro-tools le)

rickgk said:
My question is then, can cliff work any magic to make these room IR's useable to their full potential in the axe? Or is their a way of mimicking the reflections in the room IR's via reverb trickery or something of the like?

Yeah, an extra Gig of memory would come handy but it's simply not there.
:cry:

You can simulate "room reflections" with Reverb (work on the pre-delay control)
but it's not going to be the same.

;)

rickgk said:
combining close and room mics make these IR's sound fantastic in DAW programmes, but that axe-fx users are not able to use the room IR's

... can cliff work any magic to make these room IR's useable to their full potential in the axe? Or is their a way of mimicking the reflections in the room IR's via reverb trickery or something of the like?
I didn't try, but... you should be able to use 2 IR's (close mic for first block, parallel to delay and room mic block). The delay time should be set to align the phase/signal. Jay Mitchell could tell us if it is doable/useful/not worth...

rickgk said:
(plus i haven't been able to find an RTAS plugin to load IR's in pro-tools le)
There are a few convolution reverbs you can use, but it would be great to find something less expensive that would allow IR auditioning in ProTools.

Terry.

Boogieman said:
Does the Redwire purchase site require a PayPal account? Not interested in establishing an account with PayPal but I'm getting pretty interested in the Big Box series ;)

No Paypal account needed. Click the Continue button on the bottom-left of the screen on the Checkout page and you can put your credit card info in.

rickgk said:
Several people mention early on in this thread that combining close and room mics make these IR's sound fantastic in DAW programmes, but that axe-fx users are not able to use the room IR's to their full potential because the information is truncated during conversion for use in the axe-fx (or something to that effect)

It seems a shame that we can only get the real magic of combining the near and room IR's by running into a DAW! (plus i haven't been able to find an RTAS plugin to load IR's in pro-tools le)

The IRs are time-aligned so you don't need to worry about a delay to compensate for the different distances.

Tone Seeker said:
rickgk said:
(plus i haven't been able to find an RTAS plugin to load IR's in pro-tools le)
There are a few convolution reverbs you can use, but it would be great to find something less expensive that would allow IR auditioning in ProTools.

Terry.

RTAS is slim pickin's. There's TL Space, Altiverb, McDSP Revolver and Waves IR1. Free is non existent, AFAIK. You may be better off purchasing the VST-RTAS adapter from FxPansion and using one of the free VSTs. It would be the cheapest option I know of. Compatibility may be an issue, though. I've only tried SIR II with the adapter, but I didn't have a problem with it.

redwire said:
The IRs are time-aligned so you don't need to worry about a delay to compensate for the different distances.
You mean that there is a "leading silence" in the IR?

rickgk said:

My question is then, can cliff work any magic to make these room IR's useable to their full potential in the axe?
He had to go to a compressed bootloader in order to increase the IR size from 512 to 1024 samples. To recreate the sound of even a small room, you'd need an IR that is at least a second long (48000 samples), preferably 2-3 seconds. Given that, I'd say there's no way the present Axe-Fx will ever be able to do that.

Or is their a way of mimicking the reflections in the room IR's via reverb trickery or something of the like?
Yes. There are many ways to use reverb and delay to create a "room effect." That is the primary purpose of reverb.

The cab sims are there for, well, simulating the sound of a guitar cab. You're asking for them to do something that they were never intended to do.

Smilzo said:
I didn't try, but... you should be able to use 2 IR's (close mic for first block, parallel to delay and room mic block). The delay time should be set to align the phase/signal. Jay Mitchell could tell us if it is doable/useful/not worth...
Not doable.

99% of the information in a cabinet impulse response is in the first few ms. 1024 samples is more than enough to capture the essence of the cabinet and much of the room mics. You don't need a DAW, simply send the sysex files to your Axe-Fx.

The sysex files are all time aligned so you don't need to worry about phase issues when combining mics.

FractalAudio said:
You don't need a DAW, simply send the sysex files to your Axe-Fx.
Where the DAW is helpful is in comparing the numerous IR's available, to select the ones to use in the AxeFX (I'm in ProTools / RTAS).

Terry.

Tone Seeker said:
FractalAudio said:
You don't need a DAW, simply send the sysex files to your Axe-Fx.
Where the DAW is helpful is in comparing the numerous IR's available, to select the ones to use in the AxeFX (I'm in ProTools / RTAS).

Terry.

Absolutely. There are A TON of IRs, and it takes way too long to check them all in the Axe. I'm really looking forward to the ones with a flat reference mic, everything will be so much easier then.

Back
Top Bottom