Red Wirez Cab Impulses

kev

Inspired
http://www.redwirez.com/

Check'em out.
Love these. Bought the Marshall 1960B 4x12 V30's, 1956 Tweed Deluxe narrow panel w/Jensen P12R speaker, and Vox AC30 loaded with 2 Vox-labeled Celestion Alnico Blues

The thing I really, really like is that they included room impulses and back of cab impulses. Record AXE to DAW without the cab. Copy the track to 3 different tracks. Open an impulse (I used SIR2) on each track. Use a close miked impulse, back of cab, and room and blend to taste. Very realistic sounding guitar track. I've only checked out the Marshall cabs so far. On to the Tweed and AC30. When I get a chance, I'll make some clips. I also need to try to convert to .syx and try in the AXE.
I've only had a little time to spend messing with these but blending the different mics makes it huge.

kev said:
I also need to try to convert to .syx and try in the AXE.
The speaker IRs will translate fine if you make sure to remove any leading silence, but the Axe-Fx IR is too short (1024 samples) for the room IR to work. You'll have to add that as a postprocess.

Jay Mitchell said:
kev said:
I also need to try to convert to .syx and try in the AXE.
The speaker IRs will translate fine if you make sure to remove any leading silence, but the Axe-Fx IR is too short (1024 samples) for the room IR to work. You'll have to add that as a postprocess.

hmmm. No leading silence but I looked at one miked on edge at 5 in away and it's 120 ms. Back of cab is 100ms. Room is 215 ms. I wonder how the even the shorter ones would translate if shortend to 21ms?
Would there be a digital click if it wasn't faded? Seems like a lot of good info lost if converted.

I don't mind using these as cabs applied after the fact though. They do sound good to me.

kev said:
No leading silence but I looked at one miked on edge at 5 in away and it's 120 ms.
Doesn't matter. Only the first 20ms or so contain direct sound from the speaker. The sysex conversion utility trims the length to 1024 samples.

I wonder how the even the shorter ones would translate if shortend to 21ms?
They'll translate fine.

Would there be a digital click if it wasn't faded?
The Axe-Fx applies a data window to the IRs. There is no truncation.

I don't mind using these as cabs applied after the fact though.
Anything of significance after about the first 20ms will be environmental reflections.

I've tried the Ac30s, the celestion blues, and the orange cab, and the marshall.

These are the best IR's I've tried. Not too bassy not too thin. The mic positions and types are very consistent across models and sound like what I would expect. The don't seem to have any phase issues with stock cabs.

I like the blues better than the ac30s but they are very similar

Sean,

Did you convert them to a sysEx and run them in the Axe?

If they sound that good coverted for the Axe, I think I'll check'em out.

kev said:
The thing I really, really like is that they included room impulses and back of cab impulses. Record AXE to DAW without the cab. Copy the track to 3 different tracks. Open an impulse (I used SIR2) on each track. Use a close miked impulse, back of cab, and room and blend to taste. Very realistic sounding guitar track.

Hmm.... I wonder what will happen if I setup the 3 tracks the way it blows my mind.
and.... then I send a pulse through all 3 tracks to capture a single IR that can be loaded into the AXE-FX.....

Intriguing
:idea:

Axisman5150 said:
Sean,

Did you convert them to a sysEx and run them in the Axe?

If they sound that good coverted for the Axe, I think I'll check'em out.

Yes, converted and loaded in the Axe-fx

javajunkie said:
I've tried the Ac30s, the celestion blues, and the orange cab, and the marshall.

These are the best IR's I've tried. Not too bassy not too thin. The mic positions and types are very consistent across models and sound like what I would expect. The don't seem to have any phase issues with stock cabs.

Sean

Did you purchase any of them?

:?:

This is highly intriguing. At $9.95 per speaker or cab, however, the quality needs to be outstanding to justify the purchase IMO.

Shouldn't these impulses be called "Cab/Room" impulses? As I understand it, they also have the reverb trail; something that would be lost if you convert them for the axe. Right?

Marco

MarcoB said:
Shouldn't these impulses be called "Cab/Room" impulses? As I understand it, they also have the reverb trail; something that would be lost if you convert them for the axe. Right?

Marco

A separate "room impulse" is included but the rest is standard close mic.

;)

I can't see any trials avialable for these IRs, does anyone know if they offer this? I would really like a go on one of these but I would like to hear one first. I enjoyed playing with the Recabinet IRs but didn't end up using them for my patches there was something not quite right with them for me.

Can anyone hook a brother up with a single response from a Marshall 4x12 just to test? Problem is if I buy one cab and like it I would probably go and grab the cab bundle leaving me with two copied of one cab and $10 down...

spenno_@yahoo.com

Cheers

No demo but they have the on-line thing.
You upload a wave file (without a cab) and the server adds the cab.
http://www.redwirez.com/#

I ordered the Tweed and the Weber, I am really impressed.
The 3 dimension sound you can get with it is impressive but only with the "back" and "room" mics.
This is where the magic resides for me.

The IR's are short, most of the direct ones are 11-12ms
The room and "back of the cab" is 21-24ms so I think it can work nicely in the AXE-FX.
We are limited in the User Cabs (I could use 100 now :evil: ) so I'm thinking pairs of impulses.
One would be the direct mic the other a premixed balance between "room" and "back of the cab mic"
Then in the AXE you will ballance between direct and ambiance.

The mic placement makes a big difference, 1" and 2" sounds very different (and correct)
I learned something tonight.... I really like the U87 placed on cone 3" away.
4" sounds cool too..... 2" and 5" doesn't!

;)

Cool! I'll see if I can pull together enough kit to record some cab-less wavs and try uploading. My standard recording kit is all boxed up at the mo due to decorating :(

I had nothing better to do today so I went and bought the cab pack with the 7 cabs :twisted:

I have to say that these are some great IRs, I wasn't a massive fan of the Recabinet library as they seems to add more than just a cab into the equation. These seem to let the amp models shine through and my first impression is that I love them!

I started with what I know (and also what I thought was missing from the Axe) a good Marshall tone so I hooked up an amp block with the JCM800 a cab block and a touch of reverb. Plugged my Axe into the RCF 310A and auditioned the built in cabs. After breaking my ears in a whiped out the IR converter and Lars Editor and went to work. Since the Library is sooo big I decided to start with the Marshall G12M. I know that there are many recordings out there with this cab coupled with a SM57 and that they are usually close mic'd so I selected a few that might fit the bill and again started auditioning. I found that with little to no tweaking of the 800 I was in Marshall heaven, there was no wrestling with low end the top end seemed to be just right with a nice bite to it. I had the Air/drive settings off but it didn't sound 'boxy' so I auditioned a few more until I found one I was happy with.

I have only had a short while to play but my Favs so far are the G12M (for Marshall Grit) and the AC30 (for Clean and Crunch)

There are so many more Speaker/Mic combos that this sukka is going to take a while to full testdrive but I'll update along the way.

Spence

AndrewSimon said:
javajunkie said:

Sean

Did you purchase any of them?

:?:

Yes, the bundle of the big speaker and the celestion blues

I will say that these models do not have the huge bass response and scooped sound the new cab models on the Axe-fx have. If you like those, these may not be your cup of tea.

That being said they are working really welly for me. The hardest part is distilling them down.

Also,

NOTE: Our IRs will not make your direct guitar recording sound like it's been run through a dimed (or 12'ed even) Fender Tweed Deluxe. We just captured the cabinets themselves. So, to get the full effect of the IRs

# Edited for better phase coherence allowing you to more easily mix multiple IRs
# Clean, uncompromising signal chain that won't add undesirable color to your sound
# Cabs powered w/ Bryston 4B, known for flat freq. response, ample power and low distortion
# Recorded with Prism Sound Orpheus converters for top quality AD/DA conversion
# Sampled with a Neve 1073 and a pair of 1084s, highly regarded preamps for recording guitar

Back
Top Bottom