Red Wirez Cab Impulses

redwire said:
RTAS is slim pickin's. There's TL Space, Altiverb, McDSP Revolver and Waves IR1. Free is non existent, AFAIK. You may be better off purchasing the VST-RTAS adapter from FxPansion and using one of the free VSTs. It would be the cheapest option I know of. Compatibility may be an issue, though. I've only tried SIR II with the adapter, but I didn't have a problem with it.
Thanks for the information. The VST-RTAS adapter sounds like a good idea.

Terry.

Redwire. . . . kudos on the ConvolvoBot. Being able to audition my own track using your IR's, and make a direct comparison to an existing track, is quite powerful.

Excellent tool!

Terry.

tonygtr said:
Tone Seeker said:
FractalAudio said:
You don't need a DAW, simply send the sysex files to your Axe-Fx.
Where the DAW is helpful is in comparing the numerous IR's available, to select the ones to use in the AxeFX (I'm in ProTools / RTAS).

Terry.

Absolutely. There are A TON of IRs, and it takes way too long to check them all in the Axe. I'm really looking forward to the ones with a flat reference mic, everything will be so much easier then.

Try using the old editor. You simply call up the preset you want to use for the audition, go over to the cab section, point the directory to the folder where the cabs are located, and then drag and drop the IR's into the designated slot. The load-up time is less than a couple of seconds (at least on my computer). Using the Redwirez cabs, I experimented by starting with a close mic'd IR and "virtually" moved the mic away from the cab by selecting progressively farther-captured impulses. Very cool.

[/quote]Try using the old editor. You simply call up the preset you want to use for the audition, go over to the cab section, point the directory to the folder where the cabs are located, and then drag and drop the IR's into the designated slot. The load-up time is less than a couple of seconds (at least on my computer). Using the Redwirez cabs, I experimented by starting with a close mic'd IR and "virtually" moved the mic away from the cab by selecting progressively farther-captured impulses. Very cool.[/quote]

I do the same thing. When building a patch, I'll use 2 cab blocks (Hi-Res) and asign them to say user cab slot 3 and 4 and audition from there. The cool thing about these IR's, is you can blend different speakers,mic positions and not get phasing issues. Nice to see a well thought out product!

Mesaholic said:
tonygtr said:
Absolutely. There are A TON of IRs, and it takes way too long to check them all in the Axe. I'm really looking forward to the ones with a flat reference mic, everything will be so much easier then.

Try using the old editor. You simply call up the preset you want to use for the audition, go over to the cab section, point the directory to the folder where the cabs are located, and then drag and drop the IR's into the designated slot. The load-up time is less than a couple of seconds (at least on my computer). Using the Redwirez cabs, I experimented by starting with a close mic'd IR and "virtually" moved the mic away from the cab by selecting progressively farther-captured impulses. Very cool.

I was more thinking like this. There are a whole lot of mics, and different distances etc. Apperantly, when the ones with the reference mic are done, there will be about 4 close miced ones per speakers. It's so much easier to just choose which one of those I like the best, and then use the mic sims in the Axe ;)

I'm really hoping for on-axis and off-axis far-field referance mic IRs of each speaker. Far fiels meaning no room additions, just the speaker/cabinet as my ears would hear it playing on an average stage.

I downloaded the BigBox series about a week ago and they are FAB-A-LUS. So, which IR combos are you guys liking for medium to high-gain stuff - JCM800, Plexi, Bogner?

benjam said:
I downloaded the BigBox series about a week ago and they are FAB-A-LUS. So, which IR combos are you guys liking for medium to high-gain stuff - JCM800, Plexi, Bogner?

orange and marshall 1960A

javajunkie said:
benjam said:

Thanks, I'll cycle through those this weekend.

javajunkie said:
benjam said:

Those and use at least one with the R121 mic just on cap or cap edge. That mic seems to always capture the meat of the speaker. It stands well on it's own and also does well with the 57.

Lately, in the DAW, I've been using one null/wall and either L or R room mic (mono) and the R121 about 3" and cap/edge. Pan/blend a little and it's huge sounding.

I've now logged some hours checking out all sorts of different IR's and pairs/quads of them. Quite by accident, I've lucked into a strange mix that, logically, doesn't work. But damn, it does.

Here's my Bogner sound... really sounding like the best Bogner I've owned and heard recorded in my hands (just a quick mp3): http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0mwynjyj0y0

The mix of IR's? Marshall 1960A V30s Royer 121 6" cone and (gasp!) Marshall 1960A V30s Stereo Room.

Now, I know that you are NOT supposed to use the Stereo room as an IR in the Axe. And I KNOW it should not work.

But IMHO, it's a charm.

100% direct, no post processing, and recorded in mono. One pass.

Scott Peterson said:
I've now logged some hours checking out all sorts of different IR's and pairs/quads of them. Quite by accident, I've lucked into a strange mix that, logically, doesn't work. But damn, it does.

Here's my Bogner sound... really sounding like the best Bogner I've owned and heard recorded in my hands (just a quick mp3): http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0mwynjyj0y0

The mix of IR's? Marshall 1960A V30s Royer 121 6" cone and (gasp!) Marshall 1960A V30s Stereo Room.

Now, I know that you are NOT supposed to use the Stereo room as an IR in the Axe. And I KNOW it should not work.

But IMHO, it's a charm.

Great Scott!!!! ;) great tone!

Scott Peterson said:

But IMHO, it's a charm.

Which mic was used for the room sound, the 121 again? No extra eq in the Axe at all?

tonygtr said:
Scott Peterson said:

But IMHO, it's a charm.

Which mic was used for the room sound, the 121 again? No extra eq in the Axe at all?

I think he used a KM84. It's an IR from the Ambient folder in the Big Box collection. And no, no extra EQ (or any EQ) at all in my signal path.

Here are some more tones:

Fender Deluxe: http://www.mediafire.com/?mlknpt5jxjx

Vox AC30: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?k3mc1n7tti0

Marshall JCM 800: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zmw2djzzfuh

I used different IR's appropriate for each setup.

Combined the room and the Royer 121 at 6" at the cone.

I am DIGGING these IR's.

Those clips are great examples of how well these IR's sound with the different amps, Scott.

That's what I liked about these, they don't really need EQ and they really bring out the character of the amps.

Couple of questions...

How's the hi-res lo-res option handled ? Should the Axe cab be set to hi-res to work correctly with these ?

Anyone tried the Neuman KM84 (flat frequency) in combination with the Axe's mic models ?

The Greenbacks cab, are these 20 or 25 watt ?

And finally a request for Redwire:

Have you thought of taking IRs of a Fender Twin and a Roland Jazz Chorus. Of both, good IRs are very hard to find.

VegaBaby said:
Couple of questions...

How's the hi-res lo-res option handled ? Should the Axe cab be set to hi-res to work correctly with these ?

Anyone tried the Neuman KM84 (flat frequency) in combination with the Axe's mic models ?

Have you thought of taking IRs of a Fender Twin and a Roland Jazz Chorus. Of both, good IRs are very hard to find.

They will work in both hi and lo res
I haven't tried the Neuman in concert w/ the Axe-fx mic models
25 w on the greenbacks. They are G12ms

javajunkie said:
VegaBaby said:
Couple of questions...

They will work in both hi and lo res
I haven't tried the Neuman in concert w/ the Axe-fx mic models
25 w on the greenbacks. They are G12ms
Thanks Sean !

Think I might give some of them a try...

Got confused by G12M. Celestion still produce both versions (20 / 25 watts), the Heritage G12M is 20 and the Classic G12M are the 25s.

IRs of the Heritage G12M 20s would sure be great for all the Brown Sound guys....

Back
Top Bottom