Presenting... The Axe-Fx III

Apologies if this has already been answered... but have the team confirmed if there will be any new amps included in the III at launch?

the channel switching feature looks to be extremely potent
You will like it much, my friend. Stomp & go. With so many options of what you go to.

My secret wish is to one day see a @clarky thread where you morph from one amp to another, channel-swap the amp and effects you came from, and then morph to a third, completely different tone. And then a fourth tone. All with the same expression pedal.

You will like it much, my friend. Stomp & go. With so many options of what you go to.

My secret wish is to one day see a @clarky thread where you morph from one amp to another, channel-swap the amp and effects you came from, and then morph to a third, completely different tone. And then a fourth tone. All with the same expression pedal.

now you have a cunning plan forming in my head.....
first.. need to get me an Axe-III

I don't get why people seem to have any doubts about this product being world class...
I'm right there with you.

I will most definitely upgrade, at some point, and quite honestly my Axe II was all the convincing I really needed to make that decision.

However, I understand the flip side too.

Sure, the III costs the exact same as an XL+ did before Christmas, and if the only things that were different were the new IO, a bit (lot) more power, and a better UI, it seems like a no brainer. Especially for someone getting their first Axe-FX.

However, for someone upgrading, it really depends. Personally, I have always wanted more IO. I could also definitely use the extra power, plus with all that power, and space I can easily see great potential in future firmwares.

Others, however, may need more convincing, or more likely some affirmation. They probably already know they want it, but they need a community to agree with them, so they feel justified in their decisions, especially when they have to convince their spouse that it was the right thing to spend $2500 on. I mean, $2500 to replace something that isn't broken, and you probably spent $2500 to buy in the first place is a hard pill to swallow, no matter how much more it can do, and no matter how badly you want it.

Regarding the “gap” issue...I’ve heard the clip of the gap and honestly, while I noticed it, I can totally live with it. In the course of playing in a band setting you or the audience would be hard pressed to notice it. Definitely better than the Axe2xl+ which I had to get creative with to avoid the gap it produced which wasn’t working for me as it was much more noticeable.

The recording was a dry signal and it was barely noticeable. If I wasn’t listening for it I might have even missed it. If I had any effects on it I probably wouldn’t even notice it at all. If it’s a deal breaker for some folks they may want to stick with pedals and a single channel amp (which is what I used to do because I couldn’t stand the gap in multi-channel amps when they switched). The “gap” here is substantially less noticeable than any channel switching amp I have used.

If it kills your enjoyment of the product, don’t buy it. Make more room for those of us who are content with the barely noticeable gap and give yourself the gift of the warm glow that comes from the self satisfaction of knowing you have much higher standards than everyone else. :cool:

Regarding the “gap” issue...I’ve heard the clip of the gap and honestly, while I noticed it, I can totally live with it

You know that because somebody bothered to ask what “seamless” meant, and somebody else actually bothered to record a sample instead of going the more usual “it’s all world class” chanting.

Regarding the “gap” issue...I’ve heard the clip of the gap and honestly, while I noticed it, I can totally live with it. In the course of playing in a band setting you or the audience would be hard pressed to notice it. Definitely better than the Axe2xl+ which I had to get creative with to avoid the gap it produced which wasn’t working for me as it was much more noticeable.

The recording was a dry signal and it was barely noticeable. If I wasn’t listening for it I might have even missed it. If I had any effects on it I probably wouldn’t even notice it at all. If it’s a deal breaker for some folks they may want to stick with pedals and a single channel amp (which is what I used to do because I couldn’t stand the gap in multi-channel amps when they switched). The “gap” here is substantially less noticeable than any channel switching amp I have used.

Are you referring to this clip?

No. I’m referring to the clip where the guitarist plays a riff 4 different times and switches between channels in the middle of the riff that are set more or less the same gain wise. This clip here is changing between drastically different gain settings...those kinds of changes have less to do with the 37ms gap and more to do with what happens when you make those kinds of drastic tone and gain changes with any setup.

Last edited:

This is the clip I’m referring to...

I wouldn't say it's quite that simple. Switching with a pretty dry sound and no pause, ~40 ms can be distracting. The smaller the gap, the easier it is to deal with. I don't think it's difficult to notice improvement down to around 10 ms, or lower (basically 0 ms) if you switch while holding a note/chord.

1. Phrase w/ no gap
2. 38 ms on the beat
3. 38 ms preceding beat
4. 20 ms preceding beat
5. 10 ms preceding beat

Back
Top Bottom