Presenting... The Axe-Fx III

This is the clip I’m referring to...
Yeah that's not indicative of the Axe-FX III at all (since it didn't come from it). It
s actually a clip where silence was added manually in a DAW/editor. Like I mentioned in a reply to that post, that gap is abrupt silence not a ramp down/ramp up. Abrupt silence will always be noticeable

The clip I linked to is from Fractal, showcasing the new switching on an Axe-FX III.

Last edited:
Not from the III. It's a contrived example to illustrate gap length, not the III's behavior.

Seems like concern about this issue could be put to bed (for better or worse) if a Beta-Tester with an Axe-FX III would make a similar clip of the III's new channel-switching.

You know, same kind of riff played several times, first with no channel-change, and then with channel-change happening at different places in the riff.

Seems like concern about this issue could be put to bed (for better or worse) if a Beta-Tester with an Axe-FX III would make a similar clip of the III's new channel-switching.

You know, same kind of riff played several times, first with no channel-change, and then with channel-change happening at different places in the riff.
Cliff did exactly this. Use search.

Cliff's clip sounds and looks to me like the amp mutes for about 40 ms. It would be nice to hear an example with no delay/reverb.

Waveform from Cliff's Axe-FX III clip below. Highlighted region is 40 ms. It doesn't seem like there's much of a ramp down/up happening in that region.

Hpnsyi2.png

Good grief people, at least wait until you try it yourself before going on a campaign about how much the 3 upsets you. The negativity is ridiculous. Every single rig I've ever owned In 30 years has some amount of glitch when changing patches. It's part of playing live, kind of like learning how to not F up when the lighting guy decides to do a 5 second blackout, or some drunk idiot crawls up on stage a trips over your pedal. If you can't live with a 40ms transition, you've got a serious case of third world problems.

Good grief people, at least wait until you try it yourself before going on a campaign about how much the 3 upsets you.
Just to be clear, even if I do criticise the Axe often, I love the device. And the Axe 3 looks phenomenal to me.
However, if everything people said about it was just praise, as they could, where's the fun in that? The whole conversation about a hardware device simply can't be one sided. The Axe is not perfect, of course, but most things I've ever criticised the axe FX or Axe FX 3 for are very Insignificant...
It's like finding the most beautiful woman in the world and trying to figure out if she has any imperfections at all, and through searching, finding out that the freckle on her left cheek makes her face look less symmetrical.

Just to be clear, even if I do criticise the Axe often, I love the device. And the Axe 3 looks phenomenal to me.
However, if everything people said about it was just praise, as they could, where's the fun in that? The whole conversation about a hardware device simply can't be one sided. The Axe is not perfect, of course, but most things I've ever criticised the axe FX or Axe FX 3 for are very Insignificant...
It's like finding the most beautiful woman in the world and trying to figure out if she has any imperfections at all, and through searching, finding out that the freckle on her left cheek makes her face look less symmetrical.

Soooo ... basically you're Will Ferrell in <i>The Other Guys</i>. :D

Yeah, I thought it was ridiculous hearing people complain about the switching gap on the axe II. You can't handle a 40ms gap? I wonder if blinking your eyes while playing messes you up also.

Yeah, I thought it was ridiculous hearing people complain about the switching gap on the axe II. You can't handle a 40ms gap? I wonder if blinking your eyes while playing messes you up also.
@Bakerman has posted a clip in another thread showing its closer to 100ms.

And just because you don't have a problem with it, doesn't invalidate others that do.

I play a song where I have literally a breath to change from my clean to my lead tone, and even using X/Y on the amp block (faster than a preset change), it is not possible. It sounds like I've missed the first note of my solo every single time.

I have to use a drive block with a clean amp to make the change seamlessly.

@Bakerman has posted a clip in another thread showing its closer to 100ms.

And just because you don't have a problem with it, doesn't invalidate others that do.

I play a song where I have literally a breath to change from my clean to my lead tone, and even using X/Y on the amp block (faster than a preset change), it is not possible. It sounds like I've missed the first note of my solo every single time.

I have to use a drive block with a clean amp to make the change seamlessly.
I assume you're talking about the AX8, cause I just use two amp blocks in my II.

I assume you're talking about the AX8, cause I just use two amp blocks in my II.
No... I'm talking about a preset with 2 amp blocks using X and Y on both :)

In any case, I've moved to a different method these days using (usually) a single amp block plus 4 Drives :)

No... I'm talking about a preset with 2 amp blocks using X and Y on both :)

In any case, I've moved to a different method these days using (usually) a single amp block plus 4 Drives :)
Ah, I wish I had 4 drives, I don't have an XL. That's part of the reason I'm glad the III came with it did, I was already looking to upgrade to an XL within the year.

I have a patch where I'd love to have access to three seamless amp changes, but I currently have the same issue as you. I had to do some creative routing. I found that X/Y switching still does the weird gap thing when you change scenes on a patch using both amp blocks, where the amp block you are switching to has to switch x/y states from the previous scene.

Ah, I wish I had 4 drives, I don't have an XL. That's part of the reason I'm glad the III came with it did, I was already looking to upgrade to an XL within the year.

I have a patch where I'd love to have access to three seamless amp changes, but I currently have the same issue as you. I had to do some creative routing. I found that X/Y switching still does the weird gap thing when you change scenes on a patch using both amp blocks, where the amp block you are switching to has to switch x/y states from the previous scene.
You have 4 drives... Don't forget X/Y... The same as the Axe Fx.

If it's really so important to your music that you absolutely for the sake of the song cannot stop your guitar from ringing out between and/or during all of your tone changes, you can setup your patches so that transitions between amp tones are handled by routing amps in parallel, then sweep between them either with damped scene controllers on the level knobs of each amp block, or a foot pedal to turn up the level of one amp block while turning down the level of the other amp block for smooth transitions. You can setup these sweeping transitions with up to four pairs of amps per patch. If you need to do this multiple times during a song, then after the first sweep, change scenes at some point between notes to get the next sweep cocked and ready to go.

Unless you're playing music with an ebow or Fernandez sustainer guitar that requires a constant drone for 100% of the performance, you should probably be able to find at least one 35 millisecond gap somewhere that you should be able to do this with minimal song interference.

Back
Top Bottom