Power amp(s) for three 1x12 60w cabs

Sorenspete

Inspired
Sorry if I have already discussed this but I thought I'd try to get my issue on paper properly in its own thread.

So as some of you may have seen I recently acquired an adorable MESA/Boogie Engineering 1x12 Mini Rectifier cab. I intend to eventually (hopefully) have three of these and run my Axe-Fx III Mk. II into them with a wet-dry-wet setup.

I could totally buy a 170w PowerStage, power the cab for the dry signal and use my HS8's for wet, but I don't want to use temporary solutions. I want a power amp solution that will be future-proofed in terms of what I may decide to use in the future. I may move from the 1x12's to a different combination e.g. 2x12 (W) - 4x12 (D) - 2x12 (W).

I will admit right off the bat that I don't entirely have my head all the way around ohms and power and how things get overloaded and destroyed. I would imagine that a 1000w solid-state power amp could easily blow a 60w Celestion Vintage30 but only if I were reckless. My use case is home use with the potential to play clubs (menacingly lol).

One question I have is, can a stereo power amp only power two cabinets? If so, I'd need two stereo power amps...correct?

I was originally keen on a Matrix GT1000FX-2U (or GT1600FX), but they're in short supply and importing one would be a bit of a faff. I have been looking at a couple of power amps which I will link below:

Crown XLS 1002 Stereo Power Amplifier
https://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/Crown-Audio-XLS-1002-Stereo-Power-Amplifier

Behringer NX1000
https://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/Behr...Stereo-Power-Amplifier-160W`Channel-at-8-Ohms

I don't really have the 2500-4100NZD to spend on a 2:90 but the Marshall 100/100 type stuff might be worth looking into.

Not sure what else there is to say.

Cheers

Yes, you only need one stereo power amplifier for the outer pair and you could use a mono power amplifier for the dry channel. The Crown (or any similar stereo power amplifier) is the a fine option. You might want more wattage if you intend to step up to a 2x12 4x12 2x12 setup. Solid state amplifiers are less efficient with higher impedance loads so the wattage goes down with higher load impedance.

I run a pair of 16 Ohm 4x12 cabinets that are rated to handle 200 watts each and I use a QSC RMX2450 power amplifier. The 2450 watt rating may seem like a huge amount of overkill but that output power is for bridged mono into a 2 Ohm load. It only puts out about 300W per channel with a stereo pair at 16 Ohms.

I’m getting a 1x12 mesa rectifier cab (or maybe two) and a Palmer Macht 402 as power amp.
If you’re in Europe it’s 350 at Thomann.
I’m not sure but it might be to weak if you want high levels and two 4x12???

Carvin Mach100 is a 100W stereo power amp (2x 50W channels, minimum 4 ohms per channel) in a small stomp box for under $200. I have one and have no complaints. The power supply is bigger than the pedal which is kind of funny, it's basically a big laptop power supply. I can't really tell a difference between it and my powerstage 170 at the volumes that I've used them at. Obviously the powerstage could probably get louder but I have no reason or desire to play that loud. I like the mute button on the carvin, it's a pretty convenient feature that would be nice to have on the powerstage. It only has one output jack per channel so you'd have to daisy chain your wet cabinets, but as long as they are both 8 ohms or more it should be fine.

The 4 channel amp is "Apart Champ Four"

the price is 600 Euro at Thomann / Europe

I don´t know anything about this brand
but it might be a solution for you to at least try out the set up you have in mind :)

Back
Top Bottom