Post Your Axe-Fx III Rigs Here!

Updated studio with Axe FX III (running 12.0.8b4 of course)

IMG_0156.jpeg

• Axe FX III
  • FC-6
  • 2019 Ernie Ball John Petrucci Majesty (Blue Honu)
  • Macbook Pro
  • Dynaudio Lyd5 monitors
  • Dynaudio 9S Sub
  • Arturia Keylab 61 mkii
  • Fostex closed back TH-900 headphones
  • Universal Audio Apollo Twin Quad

I freaking love my Axe FX, the Axe FX community, and the Fractal Team (especially their commitment to continuous improvement / community, customer value)

Happy to be here!

Last edited:
Nice Grant,
how do you like the dyns? I thought about going that route as I have a full home theater system decked out in contours and enjoy the contour 60s for 2 channel. Did you have any experience with other monitors that you could compare them with?

thanks

Nice Grant,
how do you like the dyns? I thought about going that route as I have a full home theater system decked out in contours and enjoy the contour 60s for 2 channel. Did you have any experience with other monitors that you could compare them with?

thanks

Love them! I bought them because I had the Contour 1.1s years ago and just felt like the stage presence and the clarity of the speakers were second to none. I haven't used other monitors but absolutely love these. I watched a lot of reviews between the 3 Lyd sizes and it seems like most people agreed the Lyd 5s were the best clarity and if you add their sub (which I did) the overall experience is great - which I agree. I think you'd be very happy with them.

Built this rig a couple weeks ago while we're all on house arrest. Case is the SKB 3i-231714GFX which fits the 4U rack and the FC12 really well, although I had to remove a layer of foam on the insert in order to fit the FC12. Yesterday was supposed to be the first show of a US headliner leading straight into festival season :cry:

View attachment 67468
View attachment 67469
I was curious if I could use this case and fit the fc-12 in it as well. Glad to see you were able to do it! I’m curious what layer of foam you stripped away: the foam under the rack or the foam that the fc-12 sits on?

also, how deep is your power supply and did you have a problem with it overlapping the axe 3 making running power cables difficult?

Thanks,
Chris

I was curious if I could use this case and fit the fc-12 in it as well. Glad to see you were able to do it! I’m curious what layer of foam you stripped away: the foam under the rack or the foam that the fc-12 sits on?

also, how deep is your power supply and did you have a problem with it overlapping the axe 3 making running power cables difficult?

Thanks,
Chris

Yep the FC12 fits on top, that's why I got this case specifically. On the insert there are 3 layers of foam: two that cover the entire surface of the insert, and one that is just the four corner pieces you see in the attached pic. On mine, I used a big kitchen knife to remove all 3 layers from the insert, then I removed the 4 corner pieces, and glued them directly to the insert with Flex Glue that I got at Lowe's. A little ghetto but it's a road case, after a few flights it will have some "character" anyway. My buddy bought the same case, so on his I tried something different: I used the kitchen knife to just cut out the rectangular area of the 2 layers of foam framed by the 4 corner pieces. That way the effective height was the same, but I avoided the gluing process.

As far as the depth, the AX3 takes up most of the space in the back, so the power conditioner mounted in the top slot in the back overlaps the AX3. Not convenient to access the plugs, but in this rig I only have the AX3 and wireless so I never really need to access them. To keep the cabling neat I bought a 1ft right angle IEC on amazon for the AX3.

Attachments

• IMG_8897.jpg
    IMG_8897.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_8624.jpg
    IMG_8624.jpg
    995.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_8898.jpg
    IMG_8898.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 96
Yep the FC12 fits on top, that's why I got this case specifically. On the insert there are 3 layers of foam: two that cover the entire surface of the insert, and one that is just the four corner pieces you see in the attached pic. On mine, I used a big kitchen knife to remove all 3 layers from the insert, then I removed the 4 corner pieces, and glued them directly to the insert with Flex Glue that I got at Lowe's. A little ghetto but it's a road case, after a few flights it will have some "character" anyway. My buddy bought the same case, so on his I tried something different: I used the kitchen knife to just cut out the rectangular area of the 2 layers of foam framed by the 4 corner pieces. That way the effective height was the same, but I avoided the gluing process.

As far as the depth, the AX3 takes up most of the space in the back, so the power conditioner mounted in the top slot in the back overlaps the AX3. Not convenient to access the plugs, but in this rig I only have the AX3 and wireless so I never really need to access them. To keep the cabling neat I bought a 1ft right angle IEC on amazon for the AX3.
Thanks Strabes! I’m considering going this route and am debating between this and the 6u rack version and keeping the Fc-12, cables, and expression pedal in a separate bag. I like the convenience of everything in one place but two things still have me going back and forth.

1. The weight with the fly rack loaded: I estimate 66 pounds.
2. Not having the ability to use a better Furman power conditioner from their classic line, as it would be too deep to rear mount.

Got the new custom rack shell to accommodate both, Axe III and power amp. Rack is 12" deep so I was able to recess the rack rail a bit to get the gear to sit back in the rack a little more. A photo of the rear of the rack shows there's still ample space.
Still deciding on pedalboard and exp pedals. I have 2 EV-1 pedals now but feel like they're too big.
Axe III rack 2.jpgAxe III rack 3.jpgAxe III rack 4.jpgAxe III rack 5.jpg

Built this rig a couple weeks ago while we're all on house arrest. Case is the SKB 3i-231714GFX which fits the 4U rack and the FC12 really well, although I had to remove a layer of foam on the insert in order to fit the FC12. Yesterday was supposed to be the first show of a US headliner leading straight into festival season :cry:

View attachment 67468
View attachment 67469
I wonder if I can get 2 Boss expression pedals on top too. Sweet.

Anything wrong with this Rig except not enough coffee in the cup? Gonna conquer the world from here gals.
Friedman ASC possibly arriving.
Would be interesting to know how many people here actually make money playing with their toys? Because i will <3

20200530_143859.jpg

I have the Axe-FX III set up in my living room, where there’s plenty of space for me to practice and stretch out without worrying about bumping into anything. The laptop (perfect for Axe-Edit) is networked to the actual studio room, which is chock full of keyboards, the primary computer, and a surround monitoring system.

So while my primary tracking is done in the studio, I can easily fly in guitar work from the living room. Much better than trying to play in the tiny 4' x 5' hole in the middle of the studio.

That Yamaha MIDI controller meets my needs for a pedal board; the primary setup lets me directly access presets, while switching to the first function bank lets me switch between scenes, and the second function bank gives me direct control over the looper.

Windy the Strat started as an American Standard; I’ve added a Super-Vee BladeRunner trem (love that thing), Sperzels, glass knobs, and my hand-painted pick guard. I’ve got a set of custom Wiggins wood pickups coming by around the 4th of July, and that will likely be the last of the mods for this guitar.

It’s worth saying again that as a keyboardist, Fractal Audio’s gear has made all the difference for me in providing inspiration to stand there and play guitar for hours on end. Whatever limited ability I have or will develop comes directly from the joy that box delivers.

half-size-setup.jpg

Back
Top Bottom